I am becoming rather concerned that the BBC, or at least, one of their news editors, is using its position to influence people to oppose the development of LBA.

Some may remember a few months back they ran a story saying Extinction Rebellion had called for the expansion of LBA to be scrapped as it would stop Leeds meeting its CO2 targets. It is my view that if that happens it won't be because of an increase in aviation over the city, it will be due to the council's half hearted decisions regarding cutting down vehicular access into the city centre which is by far the greater cause of pollution.

So this morning, there was a news item at 9am on Radio Leeds stating that a given number of people across Yorkshire would die prematurely due to air pollution. They then followed this up with a re-run of the same headline they gave (as I recall it) back then, stating once again that there were calls from Extinction Rebellion for the expansion of LBA to be abandoned, and stating that Leeds could not meet its CO2 targets if the Airport Link Road was built, the Parkway Station was built, and, LBA expansion went ahead. This item totally ignored the fact that the Link Road was scrapped several weeks ago, so it appears to be a case of the news item being regurgitated and tagged on to the other news item to paint an anti airport picture. The way they did it seemed deliberately intended to suggest that aviation pollution is a major factor in the air pollution causing premature deaths across the region, which is simply not the case. This item however was dropped from the next bulletin despite the first one (re the impact of air pollution across Yorkshire) still being included.

The way things are going at LBA, with the loss of so many Ryanair flights and now, the rumours regarding one of our other airlines, expansion will be the least of their worries. CO2 emissions at LBA are going down by the year anyway, and this coming year they will be dropping like a brick!

I am becoming rather concerned that the BBC, or at least, one of their news editors, is using its position to influence people to oppose the development of LBA.

Some may remember a few months back they ran a story saying Extinction Rebellion had called for the expansion of LBA to be scrapped as it would stop Leeds meeting its CO2 targets. It is my view that if that happens it won't be because of an increase in aviation over the city, it will be due to the council's half hearted decisions regarding cutting down vehicular access into the city centre which is by far the greater cause of pollution.

So this morning, there was a news item at 9am on Radio Leeds stating that a given number of people across Yorkshire would die prematurely due to air pollution. They then followed this up with a re-run of the same headline they gave (as I recall it) back then, stating once again that there were calls from Extinction Rebellion for the expansion of LBA to be abandoned, and stating that Leeds could not meet its CO2 targets if the Airport Link Road was built, the Parkway Station was built, and, LBA expansion went ahead. This item totally ignored the fact that the Link Road was scrapped several weeks ago, so it appears to be a case of the news item being regurgitated and tagged on to the other news item to paint an anti airport picture. The way they did it seemed deliberately intended to suggest that aviation pollution is a major factor in the air pollution causing premature deaths across the region, which is simply not the case. This item however was dropped from the next bulletin despite the first one (re the impact of air pollution across Yorkshire) still being included.

The way things are going at LBA, with the loss of so many Ryanair flights and now, the rumours regarding one of our other airlines, expansion will be the least of their worries. CO2 emissions at LBA are going down by the year anyway, and this coming year they will be dropping like a brick!
Typical Biased Broadcasting Corporation. I’m pretty much done with the BBC news dept, I’d rather watch something objective instead of getting their agenda shoved down my throat on a daily basis.

During the last LCC meeting one member of the committee said whatever our views of expansion of LBA to curb CO2 must come from national government not LCC.

As for the BBC they no longer have to be impartial with issues relating to "climate change" as they claim there is a "consensus" of opinion that climate change is human induced. What this means is they are no longer required to offer opposing opinions on the matter. The problem for LBA is this kind of reporting doesn't seem to occur with news stories relating to DSA or HUY airports.

Last edited:
........."The planned new facility will span 3 floors and cover 365,972 sq ft"

Amazing news, :wtf: !! . This will make it about 10x smaller then Heathrow T5? begs the question what will happen to the terminal they demolish, will that be used for car park space or a future terminal 2?......so many questions,

I mean that is impressive and I really hope it comes through, makes white heathers committee meeting more interesting hope we get abit more info on it... however I'm not getting too excited as anything we here about developments at lba someone throws obstacles in the way and im sure all the anti airport campaigners will be out in full force on this one! hope it happens as it's the only way we can really get the airport to expand, I guess the apron will have to be re worked/expanded too to accommodate this new building.

Yes. No real point in having the capacity to handle more pax if there is nowhere to park the planes. The two have to go hand in hand. I too seriously hope this happens and it certainly would take away from the recent doom and gloom. The region could finally be getting an airport fit for purpose

If they do flatten the old terminal, then surely this gives scope for stands 1-4 to be extended back to cater for larger aircraft. We would of course in the process get stands 2 and 4 back in use at long last. And don't forget, extra terminal capacity is probably what is stopping Jet2 popping the odd A330 in due to the current arrivals clogging up.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock