Yes thats how I feel too ! The situation makes me miserable so a change of tac and go with the flow ! Being in a foul mood about it helps no one including me.
Its just mind boggling aint it the way our so called leaders think, its so annoying how our airport is just stuck in a rut in what is a huge catchment area yet all other airports are expanding even the smaller ones, new routes some long haul, new airlines etc and what do we get, the odd extra flight or 2 by jet2. Angry!

The original argument regarding an inefficient terminal building that doesn't deliver the right customer experience still applies to the current terminal. Although the old plans to extend the building don't fully deliver the experience the airport wishes to create, it does deliver a more user friendly baggage reclaim which has been the main bone of contention for the majority of its users. The old plans come at a significantly lower cost. Hopefully once the latest plans have rattled their way to a conclusion it will be very clear to NIMBYs that a new terminal will be cleaner and more desirable.

Its never anyone fault is it though !
Are we just unlucky or did the day night change of rules give the opposition a platform to get local support against the plans.
I have had many conversations about this little extra request with my neighbours and they will not accept my explanation of the reason they need it and see it as an attempt to increase night flights and cause them disturbance.
Most of the news these days is negative for me and this is the one that has made me very sad so I am going to stand back and give it a rest and hope my other passion Leeds Utd can hang on in the Premier League and try not to be too down if they dont.

The thing is you don’t just get Green environmental muppets objecting for silly reasons. There is plenty of people that object due to noise concerns even though an increase of passengers doesn’t necessarily mean more planes. And even so we have quieter ones.

You can’t please everybody. And even though the new terminal is a much better and cleaner option. Some people just don’t accept anything.

From when it actually starts, how long will the "calling in" process take and how long are the current extension plans active for? (If sufficient activity hasn't taken place, approved plans lapse)

It would be worth waiting an extra year to get a new terminal, rather than get an inferior extension sooner. Consider that the pandemic will have put passenger levels back by a few year.

Could LBA start construction of the terminal extension, then if the new terminal does get approved after being called in, incorporate the extension into the new terminal? The use of the extension would have to change, however the result of the new terminal would likely be known before interior fit out would have started.

The key argument seems to be wether the 7mppa is tied to the new terminal plans or previously approved plans. Opposers will say the former whilst supporters say the latter.

Its never anyone fault is it though !
Are we just unlucky or did the day night change of rules give the opposition a platform to get local support against the plans.
I have had many conversations about this little extra request with my neighbours and they will not accept my explanation of the reason they need it and see it as an attempt to increase night flights and cause them disturbance.
Most of the news these days is negative for me and this is the one that has made me very sad so I am going to stand back and give it a rest and hope my other passion Leeds Utd can hang on in the Premier League and try not to be too down if they dont.
I share your pain, frustration, disappointment and desire to step back after this. I feel defeated and would quite happily give up and leave the region if it weren't for family and friends....and also share your hopes for Leeds United.

Overall, I just feel really depressed especially at the thought of these the group that shall not be mentioned idiots with a smug face. We still don't know LBAs intentions but I imagine there will be a few meetings going on to discuss next steps.

From when it actually starts, how long will the "calling in" process take and how long are the current extension plans active for? (If sufficient activity hasn't taken place, approved plans lapse)
The local press reported a representative of the secretary of state's department saying that arrangements for the public enquiry “will be made shortly and details advertised locally”.

It will involve a planning inspector or planning inspectors chairing the enquiry and taking evidence from interested parties. The inspector or inspectors will then submit their recommendations to the secretary of state for the minister to make the decision although he is not bound by the recommendations.

How long it will take is anyone's guess. Bristol Airport was the subject of a planning enquiry last year in respect of its appeal against its local authority's rejection of its expansion plans. It was an appeal rather than a calling-in but the enquiry process was broadly the same with the only difference being the three planning inspectors who conducted the enquiry will make the decision in that case.

The Bristol appeal opened in January last year and the public enquiry element began on 20 July and ended on 8 October. The decision on the appeal is still to be announced.

If the LBA enquiry is anything like the Bristol one opposition groups will ensure that they mobilise as much support as possible including legal representation and expert witnesses.

The Bristol enquiry was streamed live on YouTube each day. In truth it was slow going and full of endless arguments over the interpretation or meaning of all manner of statistics, local and national planning guidance, environmental legislation and so on. I dipped in an out from time to time. The entire enquiry is still available to view on YouTube but I would not suggest looking for more than a few minutes unless anyone has an overwhelming interest in airport planning matters.

The only thing that is a positive, and it is a big positive, is the fact that LBA still had the original terminal expansion in its back pocket. Yes it’s not the new terminal with the benefits that will come with it, but at least it’s something. I have a feeling that the “calling in” process will be extremely expensive, for all parties so I hope the group that shall not be mentioned haven’t spent any of that fundraising money on dungarees and pointless papers on “green futures” which have about as much reach and impact on joe public as well the letters section on the Yorkshire post. LBA can turn round and build the original expansion, make the opposition look as stupid as we all know they are by effectively saying checkmate to all the arguments they put forward, how the hell would they spin a new building at the airport and all the expansion and press that would come with it when they are celebrating like LBA can build anything or expand? LBA then sit on the new terminal plans until the political and wider climate is more favourable. Just my 10p but I would urge anyone that is a fan of LBA like we all are to not get disheartened, the airport is going nowhere, yes the facility is below standard, but for now, it will do. It’s still the busiest airport in Yorkshire, and out of MME, HUY and DSA it’s a country mile ahead in this fact, which will put us in good shape for a decent recovery. I don’t like the whole DSA is better at XYZ. Yes they have a good product, but for various socioeconomic reasons, it has never taken a foothold with pax ops. Yes TUI have a very successful program and it remains to be seen how Wizz do, but it is of no threat to LBA. DSA will always be the king of cargo for the north (not including EMA) and I get the feeling this is the market where they know there is a serious future. They are not rivals, but friendly neighbours complementing each other’s strengths, and to be honest it’s better to be together when just up the road MME are using dirty tactics. Have a look on the dried prune for the latest saga about the air show!

Well if it’s one thing politicians are good at it’s kicking the can down the road. Jenrick sat on the application for months, followed by his successor Gove who now further delays a decision by calling it in and requiring a public enquiry. Little wonder our competitors in the rest of the World race ahead of us. They just get on with new infrastructure, all we seem to do is talk, delay, talk more, delay even more then rinse and repeat. Total and utter shambles.

Surely if the terminal has been designed within all planning laws/environmental law and have stuck by the rule book it should be ok? wasn't the application made water tight? they will have to find good excuses to not approve it?

Surely if the terminal has been designed within all planning laws/environmental law and have stuck by the rule book it should be ok? wasn't the application made water tight? they will have to find good excuses to not approve it?
The terminal isn't really the major issue although there are Green Belt issues to address. The real issue is the increase in air traffic and the resultant increase in CO2 (allegedly) and whether such an increase now fits with the Government's Environmental Policy. Stansted's 8m pax per year increase did apparently , but we all know that we are second class citizens in Yorkshire compared to the South East and even the North West when it comes to transport infrastructure. So a mere 3m pax increase by 2032 seems to be a problem as far as Government are concerned. Or perhaps they just don't wish to actually make a decision! At this rate they will be out if office and we'll be lumbered with a Labour Government who (if our useless five MPs are anything to go by) will reject the terminal for sure.

The terminal isn't really the major issue although there are Green Belt issues to address. The real issue is the increase in air traffic and the resultant increase in CO2 (allegedly) and whether such an increase now fits with the Government's Environmental Policy. Stansted's 8m pax per year increase did apparently , but we all know that we are second class citizens in Yorkshire compared to the South East and even the North West when it comes to transport infrastructure. So a mere 3m pax increase by 2032 seems to be a problem as far as Government are concerned. Or perhaps they just don't wish to actually make a decision! At this rate they will be out if office and we'll be lumbered with a Labour Government who (if our useless five MPs are anything to go by) will reject the terminal for sure.

Bloody well hope they don't get elected then - or the building work is that far advanced that they won't be able to can the project.

What baffles my brain is these half brain dead morons that call themselves MP's (one of which is Shadow Chancellor) will HAPPILY praise the new railway infrastructure if that gets approved won't they? Like a bunch of useless idiots.

Just another quick observation ive made about people of Yorkshire thinking DSA should be the airport of choice (LOL) at present they only have 2 airlines operating from there? TUI & WIZZ (a weekly BOJ by BH also) but that is it. No dig at DSA, but LBA still has a healthy choice of airlines compared to other airports which is a positive thing in this climate & important destinations BHD, BFS, AMS, CDG etc which DSA does not have.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock