Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Jet2.com begins Manchester-Tel Aviv route

Low cost airline Jet2.com is to start weekly flights to Tel Aviv from Manchester on its summer schedule.

The service will start on May 21 with flights increasing twice weekly from October departing Sundays and Thursdays.

The airline said the service would provide an important gateway for the north’s Jewish community to one of Israel’s largest cities. Fares to the Israeli seaside city start at £70.99 one way including taxes, Jet2 said.

Philip Meeson, chief executive of Jet2.com said: “This route launch is extremely significant for Jet2.com and emphasises our drive to continue to innovate and expand our reach into a variety of countries and markets.”

Source

• Admin
The airline has launched its winter ski flights for the 2009/10 season. Like it's other bases, the airline is reducing it's ski services for the coming season in line with most other operators. Both Geneva and Chambery will operate just twice weekly on Saturday and Sundays.

• Admin
Humberside said:
Being outisde of the eurozone, Turkey and Egypt seem to be the 'hot' destinations now

I thought that the pound had gained against the Euro now? It could still be cheaper for the airline itself to fly to these kind of destinations.

Hi

Jet2.com have just announced 3 new routes to commence from Manchester in summer 2010. Flights will operate to Venice, Las Palmas-Gran Canaria and Kos in greece. Meanwhile the airline has also announced that it will also be adding a 3rd based Boeing 737-300 to the MAN base from next summer so MAN will have 7 based aircaft from Next year.

Better not or it will be seen as another victory for MOL and Ryanair. Anyway, their extra 737 could be coming from Blackpool, or Belfast, or Edinburgh or Newcastle, rather than Leeds.

The extra Jet2 Boeing 737-300 for MAN Wont be coming from Blackpool as the BLK base is to increase next year from 2 based aircarft to 3 based aircraft.

The extra B737's for both MAN and BLK are moving from LBA. As jet2 only require 7, Boeing 737-300 next year at LBA. We currently have 9 based, 8 operating and 1 spare as back up. hence the reason 2 are moving.

The new B757-200 that has reportedly been aquired bringing the fleet up to 10 will have a new home at Newcastle so that they have 2 based B757-200 next summer along with 4 each for both MAN and LBA.

Hope that helps.

• Admin
That daft thing here is how can Jet2 call Ryanair for over capacity on routes when Jet2 is effectively going to be doing the same from Manchester with routes such as Kos. As I mentioned in another post, the Kos route from Manchester carries more passengers from Manchester than Leeds carries on the Paris route. The daft thing as well is that a huge percentage of the Manchester passengers are from within the Leeds City Region.

Aviador said:
That daft thing here is how can Jet2 call Ryanair for over capacity on routes when Jet2 is effectively going to be doing the same from Manchester with routes such as Kos. As I mentioned in another post, the Kos route from Manchester carries more passengers from Manchester than Leeds carries on the Paris route. The daft thing as well is that a huge percentage of the Manchester passengers are from within the Leeds City Region.

That last sentence, is the fact that annoys me deeply, and that could make LBA so much bigger than what it is. I think it is around 27.5% of MAN traffic come's from around or within the LBA/Yorkshire catchment area!

A NEW Jet2.com route has been announced today from Leeds Bradford, Manchester and Newcastle to Monastir (Tunisia).
The service will operate weekly on a Saturday from Manchester and weekly on a Sunday from both Leeds Bradford and Newcastle.

Sunday
LS221 07:00 - 10:20 LBA-MIR * STARTS Sunday 23rd May 2010
LS222 10:55 - 14:20 MIR-LBA

LS575 08:45 - 12:15 NCL-MIR * STARTS Sunday 27th June 2010
LS576 12:55 - 16:25 MIR-NCL

Saturday
LS939 14:00 - 17:15 MAN-MIR * STARTS Saturday 29th May 2010
LS940 17:55 - 21:20 MIR-MAN

Seems that all three services will be operated by B737's.

Well it looks like MR Meeson had a right go at checkin staff at Manchester Airport on Saturday Morning.

He has even been questioned by the Police by the looks of things according to this artical from last nights front page of the Manchester Evening News.

Airline chief warned after raging at check-in staff
Dean Kirby

September 23, 2009

A BUDGET airline boss launched a tirade at his own staff when he saw customers in a long queue at Manchester Airport.

But as he berated check-in workers, police stepped in and warned him about his angry outburst – even though he was being applauded by frustrated passengers.

C_71_article_1138148_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

BLAST FOR STAFF Philip Meeson

Blasted

Jet2.com chief executive Philip Meeson blasted check-in staff when he saw the queue during an early-morning ‘spot-check’ visit to Terminal 1.

The tycoon blamed workers for not getting the queue moving – and was applauded by passengers for his outburst.

But police received a phone call saying that a man was being abusive to staff.

And officers went to the desk and warned him about his conduct and behaviour under the Public Order Act. A sign in that part of the terminal warns people that abusive behaviour towards staff will not be tolerated.

Today Mr Meeson, 61, defended his outburst – and praised the police officer who had spoken to him.

He told the M.E.N.: “There was a great long queue, which is not what we want, and staff were sitting there doing nothing. I just wanted everyone to get going and to check in, and to get the fantastic customer service that we want them to get.

“I did speak to a couple of managers. I was annoyed, but I did explain afterwards.”

Asked if he had been swearing during the incident, he said: “I think the odd swear word may have dropped out of my mouth. But I wasn’t swearing at anyone, just about life in general.”

He said passengers waiting to check in for flights at terminal 1 at 6.30am had applauded him s actions and added: “They were very pleased that I had come in and got the check-in going. I did apologise to them afterwards. They couldn’t understand why they weren’t being checked in.”

Mr Meeson said the police officer who spoke to him was ‘very professional’.

'Working hard'

He added: “We really want to give our customers a good experience and are working hard at that.”

Former RAF pilot Mr Meeson makes regular visits to airports to see if customer service meets the firm’s standards. He also regularly boards Jet2.com flights to see how the cabin crew treat their passengers.

He said he found a 60m-long queue when he went into the terminal at 6.30am on Saturday after staying the night at an airport hotel.

Up to 220 passengers were checking in for a Jet2.com flight to Tenerife when Mr Meeson arrived at the terminal on Saturday.

A Jet2.com spokesman for the airline said: “Philip Meeson was at the airport on Saturday to ensure that check-in was running smoothly.

He is very involved in the business at all levels and never more so than when he feels customer service is not up to scratch.

“On Saturday he felt Jet2.com was not delivering the excellent customer service that the airline strives to achieve and that customers were not being treated as well as they might.

“He admits he was angry, but is passionate about good levels of customer service right the way through the Jet2.com experience, although he apologises if any offence was caused on the day.”

Greater Manchester Police said: “Shortly after 7.35am on Saturday, Police were called to the check-in area at Terminal 1 following reports that a man was being abusive to staff.

'Conduct'

"Officers attended and warned the man about his future conduct and behaviour under the Public Order Act.”

Mr Meeson, who has been British aerobatic champion five times, is listed in the Sunday Times Rich List.

He hit the headlines in 2006 when he blasted the French as ‘lazy frogs’ after an air traffic control dispute grounded flights to Britain.

His comment was described as ‘unacceptable’ at the time by the French air traffic controllers’ union.

Jet2.com operates 25 routes from the airport.

Its a regular occurance at LBA, lots of shouting pushing and strong words fly regularly! He can get away with doing it at LBA because all 'his' check in staff are employed by Jet2, where as at MAN they are Aviance, so he is pushing his luck.

But he gets results! Things change once he has had a good old rant! He is a good bloke though, he is VERY passionate about his airline and despite what the papers say he is a down to earth (ish!) guy!

It all sounds like a bit of 'good' PR to me. If you look at Ryanair MOL sees 'any' press as good press. I don't think Phillip Meeson is any different in that respect when it comes to airline publicity. On top of this incident and the outburst at the 'lazy fogs', there was also an incident at LBA where he took advantage of a severely delayed Thomson flight to Ibiza. Mr Meeson went down the whole queue of disgruntled Thomson passengers telling them to fly with Jet2 who would be starting flights to Ibiza the following summer. I know many staff don't like him for his alleged outbursts but you have to applaud him for his determination to provide good customer service.

I suspect that if a passenger behaved in this way to his check-in staff Mr Meeson would see to it that person never flew with his airline again. Furthermore, a passenger would probably have been nicked for disorderly conduct.

Whilst I commend his initiative in getting onto the 'factory floor' I can't support abusive behaviour (by his own admission he swore) towards junior members of staff.

That's a good point TheLocalYokel. If it was a passenger causing the disruption he would probably have been removed from the airport. I feel my last post almost sounded like I condone his outburst which I certainly don't but I have always found him to be a very polite and personable gentleman, but then again I don't work for him.

[textarea]Airport worker quits over ranting Jet2.com boss

A WORKER on the receiving end of a public dressing down at Manchester Airport by airline boss Philip Meeson says he was shocked at the outburst and has quit his job in disgust.

Stuart Love, 27, said he was astounded at the way he and his colleagues were spoken to by Mr Meeson, chief executive of Jet2.com.

The M.E.N revealed yesterday how the airline boss aimed a foul-mouthed tirade at his staff in front of 220 passengers who were waiting to check in for a flight to Tenerife last Saturday morning.

Former RAF pilot Mr Meeson, 61, was angered by the length of queues but ended up being warned by police about his behaviour after a witness complained.

Mr Love, from Altrincham, was working for Jet2.com on a short-term contract as a £6.50-an-hour floor worker and was one of the staff members who bore the brunt of Mr Meeson's temper.

He claimed three staff were left in tears and Mr Meeson had sworn and used insulting language to a senior female employee.

Mr Love said he had now quit in disgust. He said: "I was completely shocked that he would swear like that in front of the passengers. He was kicking off for a good 20 minutes.

"If that's how their chief executive behaves, then I don't want to work for them. He came back after speaking to the police, when all the customers had gone. He said he wouldn't say sorry, it's just because he's passionate.

"I didn't like the way Jet2 operated anyway, but I was always on time for work and had no personal complaints against me. It wasn't worth it for £6.50 an hour."

Mr Love, who lives with partner Christine Tanner, 23, said Mr Meeson had arrived early in the morning and was furious about the check-in queues. He said: "The queue was long because it was about 6.55am and the check in wasn't set to open until 7.30am."

His three-month contract was supposed to end in October but he told his manager on Sunday he was resigning immediately.

Mr Love, who now wants to restart his former cleaning business, said: "I quit my job on Sunday, and I'm a Manchester City fan, so it wasn't a great weekend for me."

Police confirmed they were called to Manchester Airport after a report of a man abusing staff.

Officers warned the man about his behaviour, although he was not officially cautioned. Jet2.com did not want to comment over the allegations, and Mr Meeson could not be contacted.

Source[/textarea]

Looks like PM has got himself into a right old pickle here. I'm no legal eagle but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this ended as constructive dismissal claim.

I wonder did this chap ring the police?,i can understand it from pm point of view and as a passenger it does brass you off when the check in staff are sat there doing nowt..but said pm shouldnt swear at staff that is bang out of order.

It seems that Mr Meeson is a very successful businessman in the airline world and it surprises me that he felt the need to act in this way.

The obvious way would have been to have taken the senior employee to one side, out of sight and earshot of anyone else, and very forcefully given him or her the benefit of one's views, without being abusive or resorting to bad language.

I've done this sort of thing many times though I'm not a multi millionaire like Mr Meeson so probably his overall methods are better than mine but not in this case.

Jet2.com; Manchester Airport’s biggest scheduled leisure airline for summer 2010

Jet2.com has established itself as Manchester Airport’s biggest scheduled leisure airline following the launch of a further four new routes Dubrovnik, Split, Reus (Costa Dorada) and Prague for summer 2010.

Jet2.com will now serve nine new destinations next year, taking the total routes from Manchester with Jet2.com up to 28.

Today’s announcement means that Jet2.com now offers low fare flights to more destinations than any other airline operating scheduled services out of Manchester Airport and is the only airline to offer flights to Reus (Costa Dorada) from Manchester.

Aircraft at the North West base will be increased to service the new routes with 140,000 extra seats for summer 2010, up 20% on this year, and a total 1,000,000 seats now available per year from Manchester with Jet2.com.

Philip Meeson, boss of Jet2.com, said: “At Jet2.com we are bucking the trend of other airlines by significantly increasing our services across our bases. Now as Manchester’s favourite and biggest scheduled leisure airline we are leading the pack, offering the most number of scheduled leisure destinations.

“Our continued investment will see us increase our fleet at Manchester quite significantly and create hundreds of new jobs both at the airport and within the tourism industry as a whole.

“Next summer will see us fly up to 140,000 extra passengers to fantastic destinations across Europe and northern Africa, ensuring that people living in and around the region have an unprecedented choice of holiday destination.

“We have carefully planned our schedule and flight times to suit our passenger’s needs, giving them the option to take short breaks or longer holidays of seven, ten or 14 days. We also pride ourselves in offering friendly flights times, ensuring that our passengers get the most out of their holiday.”

Andrew Cornish Manchester Airport Managing Director said: “Since starting operations from Manchester airport in 2005, Jet2.com has gone from strength to strength establishing the airline as a popular operator with both leisure and business passengers. These latest destinations are a great addition to their route network bringing greater choice for passengers next summer. We look forward to working with Jet2.com in making these services another success story for this popular airline.”

Source

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock