Aviador said:
Thanks Concorde Lover, Is this to mark the airport being able to accept the A380. I know London Gatwick was some way behind Manchester airport in being able to take the aircraft.

As far as i am aware the airport has been able to accept the A380 since April 2010 , but only on the stands away from the terminal as these are the only one's large enough to accommodate the A380, one of reasons scheduled airlines haven't operated the A380 into the airport yet. The new pier infrastructure capable of handling the double decker aircraft is due for completion summer 2013. The one of flight will be for both Emirates and the airport benefit. Emirates in knowing they can operate there equipment into Gatwick and the airport's so that they can practice the handling of such a huge aircraft.

user001 said:
Is this to mark the airport being able to accept the A380

The airport can still only handle the A380 remotely, and the Terminal stands will not be ready until at least 2013. Plus, testing is not exactly required, given a Singapore A380 has already used LGW for a divert, and the fact MAN had no testing prior to its A380 services.

Therefore, I am unsure as to why this visit has been scheduled?

Like i said it's more than likely for the airport's benefit so that they get used to the A380 and pratice in turning around a huge aircraft so that when it comes to the real thing operating daily they will be ready, after all practice makes perfect :LOL:

It's probably just a PR stunt by Emirates to promote the Dubai route from London Gatwick, similar to what they did at Birmingham airport not long back.

Gatwick chief calls for second runway

Growth at Gatwick with a second runway is being put forward as the best option for improving airline connectivity for the next generation.

The call came from the airport’s chief executive as the airport reported a 1.2% rise in passengers to 19.9 million handled in the half year to September 30.

Turnover for the six months was up by 3.6% to £325.8 million while EBITDA rose by 4.8% to £172 million.

Full Story: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/ ... unway.html

On March 24th Emirates will operate another A380 service into London Gatwick, this time it will be to test the new stands that have been developed to accommodate the large aircraft, north terminal it is. The actually flight it will operate on is unknown at this moment but Emirates have confirmed it will be on this date.

The airport is looking to hopefully have airlines operating the A380 from the airport before the year is out.

The airport is looking to hopefully have airlines operating the A380 from the airport before the year is out.

That's a pity. I've used Emirates out of Gatwick for the past two years with the B777-300 and on to Australia with similar equipment on two occasions. Last time though we had an A380 from DXB to MEL and back and both my wife and I preferred the 777-300.

I hope the evening rotation remains a 777-300 at least for another year though we seem to be stuck with the 380 from DXB to Oz.

TheLocalYokel said:

That's a pity. I've used Emirates out of Gatwick for the past two years with the B777-300 and on to Australia with similar equipment on two occasions. Last time though we had an A380 from DXB to MEL and back and both my wife and I preferred the 777-300.

I hope the evening rotation remains a 777-300 at least for another year though we seem to be stuck with the 380 from DXB to Oz.

I don't know how many rotations Emirates have into LGW a day but if they introduce the A380 i can't see them moving them all over to the 777 as it won't be praticle, not for the time being at least, the majority of there fleet is the 777. Anyway i think it would create too many spare seats, what with LHR being all A380 operations, maybe 1 or 2 rotations will be A380 but i can't see all of them being A380. I think it be more like MAN operations where the majority of flights are still the 777 even though there the A380 flight too.

I don't know how many rotations Emirates have into LGW a day but if they introduce the A380 i can't see them moving them all over to the 777 as it won't be praticle, not for the time being at least, the majority of there fleet is the 777.

I hope you're right, Concorde Lover.

EK is currently 3 x daily on LGW-DXB (5 x daily on LHR-DXB).

A6-ENJ 777-300ER Emirates is heading to LGW as UAE11, for a 06.50 arrival. This will be its 1st visit to LGW.

Gatwick expansion plans hit as Air China scraps flights

Gatwick's bid to rival Heathrow as a gateway to important long-haul destinations has been dealt a blow as Air China prepares to scrap its direct flights from the Sussex airport this winter.

Gatwick has lost 15 long-haul carriers since 2008, including Korean Air, Hong Kong Airlines, Air Asia X and Air Nigeria

Air China is pulling its services between Gatwick and Beijing from next month, although it will continue to operate out of Heathrow.

The decision has been seized on by critics of Gatwick’s plans for a “constellation” of two-runway airports to serve London’s future aviation needs. Opponents argue that Air China’s decision is proof that only a hub airport can sustain year-round routes to destinations in fast-growing emerging markets as airlines are able to use the transfer traffic to fill the flights.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ights.html

That will surely be a blow for the UK regional airports chasing flights to China.

Gatwick Airport baggage delays spark complaints

Hundreds of passengers arriving at Gatwick Airport have been told to go home without luggage and get it sent on later amid baggage reclaim delays.

Many travellers took to Twitter in the early hours of Sunday morning to vent their frustrations, with some reporting delays of up to three hours for bags.

An airport spokesman said the delays were caused by "resourcing issues" involving baggage handlers Swissport.

Full report at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28508587

Not a satisfactory situation, to put it mildly.

I suppose 'resourcing issues' means insufficient staff.

Unfortunately these days, aircraft handling is a cut throat business. Swissport, now also the owner of Servisair through a company takeover is now the dominant aircraft handling company. It's only a couple of years since Aviance handling withdrew their head quarter base from London Gatwick sighting airlines wanting aircraft handling for nothing. Personally I can see this changing in the near future. Either airlines will need to provide their own handling service or airport authorities will need to provide the service themselves. Some of the larger airlines already provide their own handling but it is impractical for some of the smaller airlines or airlines with fewer flights.

I'm in Sussex right now and I can see many of the planes holding for LGW. Hordes of Easyjet planes of course, with several equipped with Sharklets and special liveries. Also seen loads of BA and Norwegian (including their 787s) as well as Thomson, Thomas Cook, a Virgin 747 and Emirates A380, Aer Lingus, Ryanair, Flybe, Aurigny and a few others that I couldn't identify.

I'm afraid at least 1 village is missing their idiot
"A drone flying close to Gatwick airport has led to the closure of the runway and forced at least least two flights to be diverted. A spokesman for the airport said the runway was closed for two short periods of nine minutes and five minutes on Sunday evening. Gatwick said one plane had been sent to Stansted, whilst British Airways said another had gone to Bournemouth."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40476264

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock