backtrack

Jun 24, 2009
Leeds, UK
Air Canada affiliate Jazz Air will acquire 15 Bombardier Dash 8 Q400's with options of a further 15. The regional airline is currently the largest customer of the Dash 8 family, flying many smaller -100 and -300 versions. I belive flybe still remain the largest operator of the larger -400 version.

I saw a few of the 100 series Dash 8's at Montreal, and to be honest it was the first time I had ever seen a 100. They seem considerably smaller than even the 300 series.

Looks like Jazz are going International and Aquiring some Boeing 757-200 to operate under the Thomas Cook brand in Canada this winter to replace the ex Sky Service work.

Jazz Air signs C$100 million deal with Thomas Cook

VANCOUVER British Columbia (Reuters) - Jazz Air LP will start flying to sun destinations for tour operator Thomas Cook Canada later this year, , after signing a deal that it expects will add C$100 million ($100 million) a year to its revenues.

The deal sees Jazz spreading its wings significantly for the first time beyond Air Canada, which until now has been responsible for 99 percent of the regional carrier's revenue.

Jazz's stock was up 9 Canadian cents, or 2 percent, at C$4.58.rose on Monday on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

"Any revenue diversification outside of Air Canada is a positive. They have talked about doing it for a while," said RBC Capital Markets analyst Walter Spracklin.

From November, pending regulatory approvals, Jazz will start flying six or more Boeing 757-200 aircraft to the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America on behalf of Thomas Cook tour operator Sunquest Vacations.

The aircraft will be leased to Jazz by Thomas Cook Airlines. Jazz will supply the pilots and crews.

The deal will initially cover the winter 2010-11 vacation season but may be extended for up to five years with Jazz eventually operating a fleet of 11 jets for Thomas Cook.

Operating 11 aircraft, the deal could be worth C$180 million a year to Jazz, Spracklin said. That is equivalent to about 13 percent of Jazz's current annual revenue of C$1.4 billion.

"Growing and diversifying our business remains a top corporate priority," Joseph Randell, Jazz's chief executive, said in a statement.

The charter routes were previously flown by privately owned Skyservice Airlines, Thomas Cook spokeswoman Jill Wykes said.

Skyservice took travelers by surprise last week when it announced it was shutting its doors because it could no longer operate profitably in Canada's vacation tour market because of heightened competition and a heavy debt load.

Jazz flies lower-density and off-peak routes for Air Canada across Canada and into the United States under a capacity purchase agreement. It also operates a tiny charter service transporting groups to venues such as fishing camps.

Jazz used to be owned by Air Canada and its parent ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. It launched an initial public offering in 2006 and is now an independent business.

Wildcat strikes by ground crews are effecting Air Canada flights at Toronto's Pearson airport today. Passengers are told to expect delays and cancellations.

As its Fleet of about 100 Narrow Body Aircrafts are ageing Air Canada has decided to Purchase Bombardiers New CSearies Jetliners .... so which one they are trying to buy? CS100 or CS300?

eb5e6640e9ccf06feb8db58d46a1092c.jpg

The 'C' series has just received Transport Canada's Flight Test Permit and its maiden flight can be expected within days!

I wonder how many of those injuries could have been avoided by people not wondering up and down the cabin? Thankfully, I've only experienced what I thought was probably moderate turbulence on the climb out of Las Palmas a few years back. It wasn't a pleasant experience to say the least. I think here in Europe though we're pretty lucky on the whole as the weather is tame compared with much of the rest of the planet.

I wonder how many of those injuries could have been avoided by people not wondering up and down the cabin? Thankfully, I've only experienced what I thought was probably moderate turbulence on the climb out of Las Palmas a few years back. It wasn't a pleasant experience to say the least. I think here in Europe though we're pretty lucky on the whole as the weather is tame compared with much of the rest of the planet.

I had the same thought. I always keep my seat belt fastened when in the seat and I don't wander around the cabin much, even to Oz. Most if not all airlines suggest that passengers keep their seat belts fastened throughout the journey although with the bar at the rear of the premium cabins on Emirates A 380s people sit or stand with drinks unencumbered by a belt.

Whilst on this broad subject few things irritate me more on aircraft than passengers who will undo their seat belts before the aircraft comes to a stop and the seat belt signs have been extinguished. Sometimes it seems like an epidemic with clicks echoing all around the cabin with the seat belt signs still on.

I don't see the point. They can't get off the aircraft until the doors have been opened.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock