Thomas Cook

Advertisement

User1007

Feb 2, 2019
UK
In view of the Thomas Cook saga the Government are considering changing administration law for airlines that go under so that rather than all assets being seized as soon as they go bust the aircraft seizure will be delayed so they can continue to be used to rescue the stranded passengers, rather than having to find other aircraft from wherever. They reckon this will work out cheaper and seems common sense to me.
Still leaves the problem of the airline not having an AOC or any money to operate the planes though. And once they've gone how confident will the creditors be that the aircraft will actually come back?

Perhaps the government could pay for the company to continue for a short period to get everyone home, but given airlines tend to go bust around license renewal dates or when the summer bills are due that might need a lot more money than just flying the planes.

Offint

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
In view of the Thomas Cook saga the Government are considering changing administration law for airlines that go under so that rather than all assets being seized as soon as they go bust the aircraft seizure will be delayed so they can continue to be used to rescue the stranded passengers, rather than having to find other aircraft from wherever. They reckon this will work out cheaper and seems common sense to me.
Yes I saw that today and beggars belief why it wasn’t done earlier, keeps the pilots and crew employed for at least another couple of weeks and saves the taxpayer having to pay for Malaysian A380 bringing people back from Palma to MAN...now that one flight alone wont have come cheap, madness.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Still leaves the problem of the airline not having an AOC
I'd imagine that the airline would keep it's AOC as it was wound down. Kind of a similar process to Air Berlin when they went bankrupt and any money for operating would come from the government.

Sherburnflyer92

Platinum Member
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
Yes I saw that today and beggars belief why it wasn’t done earlier, keeps the pilots and crew employed for at least another couple of weeks and saves the taxpayer having to pay for Malaysian A380 bringing people back from Palma to MAN...now that one flight alone wont have come cheap, madness.
Madness from a Conserative, ran by a c**t (thats not strong enough tbh) called Dominic Cummings, is exactly what we will get. Madness. I went mental when i found they just pulled the plug.

Why not pay the people their September wages, keep others in employment till done. Personally, i'm glad i wasn't Prime Minister, but if i was, they'd of been given till 30th September. From there we would have wound down the airline, 2 weeks to rescue. A further week to move aircraft out to where they need to be without clogging up big airports such as MAN, LGW et al.

I'd like to see the total bill of pulling the plug versus doing a much more controlled shut down.

Top Bottom