Just thought i'd compare what's onsale for Summer 2019 with Summer 2018
Dublin 15 weekly 2018, 14 weekly for 2019 -1 weekly flight there is a slot for a 15th flight on Fridays
Edniburgh 13 weekly 2018, 17 weekly for 2019 +4 weekly flights
Belfast City 11 weekly 2018, 11 weekly for 2019 no change
Paris CDG 10 weekly 2018, 10 weekly for 2019 no change
Faro 5 weekly 2018, 4 weekly for 2019 -1 weekly flight plus the aircraft type changes from all E195 to all E175
Glasgow 4 weekly 2018, 5 weekly for 2019 +1 weekly flight
Jersey 4 weekly 2018, 2 weekly for 2019 -2 weekly flights
Cork 2 weekly 2018, 2 weekly for 2019 no change
Milan 3 weekly 2018, 2 weekly for 2019 -1 weekly flight
Munich 2 weekly 2018, 2 weekly for 2019 no change
Rome FCO 2 weekly 2018, 2 weekly for 2019 no change
Venice 2 weekly 2018, 2 weekly for 2019 no change
Verona 2 weekly 2018, 2 weekly for 2019 no change but will only operate 1 weekly in April
Berlin 2 weekly 2018, not onsale for 2019 though there is room for it
Dusseldorf 1 weekly 2018, not onsale 2019 though there is room for it
Geneva 1 weekly just for April in 2019
For 2018 there is a total of 78 weekly flights onsale, for 2019 so far we have 75 weekly flights onsale after the phase 1 release with aircraft changing from 1 E195 and 2 E175s to 3 E175s.

If Cardiff is to get another based aircraft and new routes then we should know in a few weeks time when Phase 2 comes out. On another forum someone raised an interesting idea that if Cardiff does get a 4th aircraft it could be shared with another airport and maybe used like they do at Exeter for the Norwich sun routes giving Cardiff another domestic route, the airport mentioned was DSA because Flybe hadn't released PMI with the other routes but it could be used for another airport like Leeds especially if Flybe took over a route like Berlin which hasn't been put on sale from Cardiff yet.

With some friends right now who live near Newbury, they have booked to Faro from Cardiff just after Christmas, said times were good.

With some friends right now who live near Newbury, they have booked to Faro from Cardiff just after Christmas, said times were good.
All the way from Newbury! That's good that Cardiff is attractive to them considering they have a lot of options.

I wonder if she means second phase as in Jul - Oct, or whether its another announcement as in more routes etc?

Cardiff Airport’s CEO, Deb Barber, added: “It’s great to see Flybe adding flights for Summer 2019 on sale early, giving our customers that extra time to plan, book and benefit from great fares.

Since Flybe opened its base in 2015 the airline has gone from strength to strength, adding more destinations and even basing a third aircraft to create more availability. Today’s announcement of extra flights to Paris and Glasgow is testament to the popularity of these routes and we look forward to further capacity added when the second phase is released in coming weeks."

Since Flybe opened its base in 2015 the airline has gone from strength to strength, adding more destinations and even basing a third aircraft to create more availability. Today’s announcement of extra flights to Paris and Glasgow is testament to the popularity of these routes and we look forward to further capacity added when the second phase is released in coming weeks."
Surely further capacity means extra flights on top of the current schedule rather than just releasing July-October. Unless that capacity is Berlin and Dusseldorf which isn't onsale.
Looking at the schedule i'd be suprised if that was it as Jersey is only 2 weekly and is pretty popular and Faro is 4 weekly on an E175 which is a pretty big cut on a popular route and i'd have thought with Rome that could be expanded by an extra weekly flight.
What i didn't realise before was that as well as Geneva getting extended to the end of April Chambery has as well. 1 weekly on Saturdays.
The odd thing about the press release is that there is no mention of the extra fligths for Edinburgh.

news_icon.png

News
2018-07-23-12-24-48-flybe-launches-first-phase-of-2019-summer-schedule-from-cardiff-988-1-image1.jpg

23 July
Flybe launches first phase of 2019 Summer Schedule from Cardiff
  • More flights to Paris Charles de Gaulle and Glasgow
  • Ski flights to Chambéry and Geneva extended
Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline, has announced the first phase of its 2019 Summer schedule from Cardiff, featuring a wealth of destinations to suit both leisure and business customers choosing to fly from Wales’ national airport.

Appreciating that many of its customers like to plan early to take advantage of the best possible prices, seats are on sale now at flybe.com and are currently available for travel to and from Cardiff between 31st March and 16th June 2019, with further seats due to be added in the coming weeks.

Highlights of first phase of Flybe’s Summer ‘19 schedule at Cardiff Airport include:

• Increase to 10 return flights a week to Paris Charles de Gaulle and 5 return flights a week to Glasgow
  • Ski flights to Chambéry and Geneva extended to the end of April for Easter and last chance winter sports trips
· Popular destinations Faro, Venice, Milan Malpensa and Rome Fiumicino featured

· Key business routes including Belfast City, Dublin and Edinburgh continue

• All routes operated on three aircraft now based at Cardiff Airport
  • Details of schedules available at www.flybe.com

Flybe connects people and communities and also offers multiple opportunities for onward travel either with its own services or via its 11 codeshare partner airlines operating from the many main hub airports it serves. This is an added convenience for those wanting to travel from their regional airport especially to destinations across the world when booked direct with the relevant airline or through a local travel agent. Check out the many options available via the ‘One Stop to the World’ link at http://onestop.flybe.com/en-GB/flights to see just how far you can travel with just one ticket!

Flybe CCO, Roy Kinnear, comments: “We have listened to our customers’ feedback and know that many like to plan their travel far in advance. Our new schedule features many of our most popular high frequency services and also highlights Flybe’s ongoing commitment to unparalleled connectivity from regional airports to destinations across the UK, Europe and beyond.”

Cardiff Airport’s CEO, Deb Barber, added: “It’s great to see Flybe adding flights for Summer 2019 on sale early, giving our customers that extra time to plan, book and benefit from great fares.

Since Flybe opened its base in 2015 the airline has gone from strength to strength, adding more destinations and even basing a third aircraft to create more availability. Today’s announcement of extra flights to Paris and Glasgow is testament to the popularity of these routes and we look forward to further capacity added when the second phase is released in coming weeks.”
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/new...t-phase-of-2019-summer-schedule-from-cardiff/

I decided to have a look at the loads of some of the Flybe routes, looking at June Edinburgh, Dublin, Faro, Belfast and Paris all look to be doing quite well so i just wanted to have a look at how the average loads were on the other routes.
Rome 1804 90% LF average 100 pax per flight
Milan MXP 2140 69% LF average 82 pax per flight
Venice 1275 80% LF average 70 pax per flight
Verona 1498 79% LF average 83 pax per flight
Berlin TXL 1171 83% LF average 73 pax per flight
Munich 1272 80% LF average 70 pax per flight
Dusseldorf 489 55% LF average 27 pax per flight
Jersey 2198 62% LF average 64 pax per flight
Guernsey 494 41% LF average 27 pax per flight
Cork 1149 69% LF average 71 pax per flight

If it's positive for the airline it should be positive for the airports it serves. It has to be hoped that in three years' time we won't be looking back at this initiative as the latest one in a line of failures.

The City seems optimistic that they might be on the right track this time with the share price currently approaching 41 pence which is nearly 25% higher than its low point earlier this year. It's still well down on the company's flotation price of 295 pence in December 2010 but at least it now seems to be going in the right direction.

I follow airline company share prices as I believe it's a good indication of the likely state of a company's health. Fund managers and institutional investors are a canny lot and can usually establish the strength of a company and its prospects. Currently it seems they are giving Flybe every opportunity to show it has learned from past mistakes.

I shall be watching Flybe's progress with great interest and the City's continuing reaction.

And positivity for Flybe's future is good for Cardiff as i don't see an alternative option to them for the network that they operate from Cardiff at the moment.

And positivity for Flybe's future is good for Cardiff as i don't see an alternative option to them for the network that they operate from Cardiff at the moment.
I remember that in the early days of WAN and then WAF I and a number of others argued that Fybe would be CWL's best bet because of the size of aircraft, and that was before the WG bought CWL that eventually led to Flybe's base. We can now see the correctness of that assertion with a Flybe route network now actually exceeding what I thought would be the case at this stage of the airline's development at CWL, with hints of more to come.

Yep they have a good network from Cardiff now! Hopefully they'll add a 4th jet for 2019 but then it'll be intriguing to see how they expand at CWL, the airport will need them to keep expanding in orderto grow but unlike say Ryanair there is only a few routes where they can operate non based aircraft from so I'd have thought they'd need to base a 5th but unless they shut bases down i don't see where they would get a 5th jet from unless they decided to start basing props.

I'm in 2 minds whether this is good for CWL or not in the long term. Given their focus appears to be shorter routes, as FR and EZY continue to try new markets which may fall into the under 2 hour flight length, are BE going to concentrate solely on 1hr and under flights? Meaning when any agreement comes to an end, CWL could loose 1hr+ flights. Hopefully that's not the case and the ejets will be put to good use on 1hr+ flights as they are still utilised on domestic routes across the network. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Q400 appear at CWL rather than all the focus being on CWL a jet only base utilising them on domestic routes where the Q400 would be better placed. It probably puts any talks of new jets coming in to rest.
It does leave a gap now between BE and larger low cost serving the 2+ hour market from CWL. I can't help but think CWL is losing out from VYs inability to get its act in order lately. Without thread drifting have been reading forums and articles about it's poor performance at BCN and across it's network lately which probably puts any expansion plans on hold nevermind expansion at CWL.

I'm in 2 minds whether this is good for CWL or not in the long term. Given their focus appears to be shorter routes, as FR and EZY continue to try new markets which may fall into the under 2 hour flight length, are BE going to concentrate solely on 1hr and under flights?

I was going to post something similar in that if Flybe is intent on returning to its core values - mainly city to city - what will it do about the Alicante, Malaga, Palma and Faro routes (for example) that it operates from some UK airports?

Yep they have a good network from Cardiff now! Hopefully they'll add a 4th jet for 2019 but then it'll be intriguing to see how they expand at CWL, the airport will need them to keep expanding in orderto grow but unlike say Ryanair there is only a few routes where they can operate non based aircraft from so I'd have thought they'd need to base a 5th but unless they shut bases down i don't see where they would get a 5th jet from unless they decided to start basing props.

Flybe has been a significant player at both SOU and EXT (its HQ as well of course) for many years - these airports might be seen as having a broad parallel with CWL - yet it hasn't expanded at either to the degree one might have expected. Both SOU and EXT seem to have four based aircraft - one E195 and 3 Q400s.

This is SOU's current route network (I've put the routes currently served by Flybe from CWL in bold).

Aberdeen (from end of October), Alicante, Amsterdam, Belfast City, Bergerac, Dublin, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Guernsey, Jersey, Leeds-Bradford, Manchester, Nantes, Newcastle, Paris CDG and Rennes, with seasonal routes to Avignon, Bastia, Biarritz, Bordeaux, Brest, Chambery, Faro, Geneva, La Rochelle, Limoges, Malaga, Palma, Perpignan, Rodez, Toulon and Verona.

This is EXT's current route network (I've put the routes currently served by Flybe from CWL in bold).

Alicante, Amsterdam, Belfast City, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Guernsey, Jersey, London City, Malaga, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich and Paris CDG, with seasonal routes to Bergerac, Chambery, Faro, Geneva, Palma and Rennes.

Depending how Flybe decides upon its latest reincarnation some of the routes from SOU (in particular) and EXT might be seen at CWL in the future. I'm very surprised at the airline's lack of progress at SOU. It serves a very large and wealthy conurbation (Bournemouth-Poole, Southampton, Portsmouth) and it's a good alternative to Gatwick for people living in the outer reaches of what is sometimes known as the Stockbroker Belt. Its small site and short runway should not be a problem for Flybe on most of its routes and I read somewhere that it has the shortest walking distance from its rail station to its airport terminal of any UK airport.

If they are going to concentrate on shorter routes in the future then it'll be interesting to see where they go at CWL as I'd imagine that the airport would want them to continue adding frequencies on the European routes and with the exception of Paris and Dusseldorf they are all over 90 mins flying.

Likelihood of a 4th Embraer being based at Cardiff?
So Cardiff is down for 3 E175s for Summer 2019, Newquay for 1 E195 (assuming Flybe keep the PSO), Exeter and Norwich looks like they'll still share 1 E195, Southampton looks like 1 E195, Doncaster is down for 2 E175s, from what i could see MAN will have 3 based as will BHX. There will be 4 E195s in the fleet and 12 E175s so with 1 aircraft operating as a fleet spare that should leave 1 E175 spare or 1 E195 to be allocated for 2019.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock