Cardiff Airport - General Thread

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
The emphasis in the article appears to be talking around Hubs, MUC fits the bill for that and from looking at his LinkedIn, seems to have quite a following from a group in Lufthansa.
Didn't someone say that his previous position at BHX was in charge of long haul development? Hub airlines do provide those connections and BHX does have a good Lufthansa group presence. He'll definitely find CWL a challenge that's for sure!

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
A conversation elsewhere makes me wonder how should success be measured for Cardiff Airport? Connectivity? Amount of flights compared to other airports bigger and smaller? Pure passenger numbers? How many Welsh people fly from the airport? Profits?
It just seems to me that even during a pandemic that has practically shut down air travel some people seem to expect Cardiff to be excelling with lots of different measure of success. Hopefully the WG will release travel restrictions and the airport can start to recover.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
A conversation elsewhere makes me wonder how should success be measured for Cardiff Airport? Connectivity? Amount of flights compared to other airports bigger and smaller? Pure passenger numbers? How many Welsh people fly from the airport? Profits?
It just seems to me that even during a pandemic that has practically shut down air travel some people seem to expect Cardiff to be excelling with lots of different measure of success. Hopefully the WG will release travel restrictions and the airport can start to recover.
I guess it depends on to whom you speak.

The government as airport owner would no doubt ideally like a profitable airport, but as the government it would want a facility that adds significant value to the country's economy and as a conduit for bringing in visitors, business and leisure, as well as providing a means for its residents to visit the world at large.

Local business groups would be looking for routes that help them.

The trades unions would have jobs for their members at the heart of their airport development aspirations.

Probably some aviation enthusiasts would be keen on a variety of airlines with different aircraft types.

The Public At Large would almost certainly want as many mainly leisure routes as possible at affordable prices.

Foxlimayankee

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Jan 21, 2017
South
My personal opinion on where CWL needs to be progressing:
- Firstly get current routes back to sustainable levels. Get people flying again and filling the available seats.
- Get routes back that were previously operated, EG Milan, Munich(with connections), Doha, Rome.
- Offer a regular and consistent domestic route network. EDI at least 2x daily with loganair, at least daily FR DUB, and 2x daily BHD either with Eastern or preferably Aer Lingus regional. With regular flights to JER, NCL and GLA.

Once confidence is restored in the Airport and numbers increase....
- A second or even third based Wizz aircraft with a mixture of City and more leisure destinations, as well as increased frequency on current destinations. When EZY are offering up to 3x daily on some spanish routes, I've no doubt a lot of those using them are Welsh.
- More non-based routes from FR that don't overlap with Wizz or Vueling.
- Improved executive lounge with better food offerings. Even after the refurb it's still a bit drab when compared with other lounge companies.
- Better road and rail connections.
- And eventually a new terminal.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
It definitely is going to be a big challenge for the airport to recover and regain it's lost passengers and take time.
Naturally whatever it does there'll be people who are never happy but I do hope the WG especially gives the airport management the backing they need to get the airport back on track again.
Wizz finally getting up and running will be a good boost for the airport.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.