Advertisement

Cardiff Airport - General Thread

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Admin #1,541
All very positive.

I notice that the chairman speaks of 2018 as a 'transformational year' whilst suggesting that 2019 will be one of consolidation. In terms of passenger numbers, 2019 is likely to add more than 2018 did over 2017.

Advertisement

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #1,543
All very positive.

I notice that the chairman speaks of 2018 as a 'transformational year' whilst suggesting that 2019 will be one of consolidation. In terms of passenger numbers, 2019 is likely to add more than 2018 did over 2017.
That could suggest that there may not be many new routes announced for 2020 and they might be cautious because of Flybe.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #1,544
All very positive.

They might as well want to be cautious if a poster on Prunne is correct in saying Virgin will just asset strip Flybe and wind it down. So i guess it's a case of wait and see what happens with them.
Looking beyond and into 2020 I'd be surprised if there was any growth from TUI and Thomas Cook. I'd have thought that any hope for growth would come from Ryanair.

Cardiffbay

Feb 18, 2018
Cardiff
They might as well want to be cautious if a poster on Prunne is correct in saying Virgin will just asset strip Flybe and wind it down. So i guess it's a case of wait and see what happens with them.
Looking beyond and into 2020 I'd be surprised if there was any growth from TUI and Thomas Cook. I'd have thought that any hope for growth would come from Ryanair.
Might be looking towards Thomas Cook for one or two transatlantic like
Orlando or Cancun. Other than that Ryanair or another low cost carrier have to be the key.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #1,546
Might be looking towards Thomas Cook for one or two transatlantic like
Orlando or Cancun. Other than that Ryanair or another low cost carrier have to be the key.
I'm sure they are trying to engage TCX for long haul but they do seem to be focused mainly on MAN to the point where they cut STN to continue their growth there. It would be nice though to see Orlando back.

May 25, 2018
Cardiff
The BE situ troubles me as it all seems so murky and messy....I am 50/50 at best they will come through. On another note I got an additional flight CWLHKG for £508 today (via QR) which I thought was a great price !

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #1,548
The BE situ troubles me as it all seems so murky and messy....I am 50/50 at best they will come through. On another note I got an additional flight CWLHKG for £508 today (via QR) which I thought was a great price !
That is a pretty good price! Yep BE is concerning, let's hope things get sorted out and are positive for Cardiff!

Aug 3, 2018
Port Talbot
Having had a look at the graphic of CWL update presented to members of the Welsh Assembly, I notice they do not give any figures for cargo, other than new cargo service launched. I wonder if KLM have seen the prospect carrying cargo via Amsterdam, hence the use of a 737 for a short trial period. I note also that the cargo load for the period of time Qatar has operated from CWL was not divulged. CWL has stated its intention of expanding cargo services where possible in the future. Just a thought.

Cardiffbay

Feb 18, 2018
Cardiff
Having had a look at the graphic of CWL update presented to members of the Welsh Assembly, I notice they do not give any figures for cargo, other than new cargo service launched. I wonder if KLM have seen the prospect carrying cargo via Amsterdam, hence the use of a 737 for a short trial period. I note also that the cargo load for the period of time Qatar has operated from CWL was not divulged. CWL has stated its intention of expanding cargo services where possible in the future. Just a thought.
Not to sure about that one. The 737 can’t take palates like an A320 can so it’s not much use at carrying cargo.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #1,551
Not to sure about that one. The 737 can’t take palates like an A320 can so it’s not much use at carrying cargo.
Any cargo loaded onto a 737 would have to loaded by hand, i've seen them doing it with Alaska Airlines 737s in the US but not sure if KLM does it. I am told that sometimes TUI does bring in fruit from Gran Canaria.
Just for reference this is what the freight figures are since May. The numbers are in tonnes.
May 152
June 158
July 210
August 219
September 229
October 229
November 160
December 85
Total 1442

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Admin #1,552
Click on this link to CAA stats and choose a month

https://www.caa.co.uk/Data-and-analysis/UK-aviation-market/Airports/Datasets/UK-airport-data/

then go to Tables 13, 14 and 15 where a lot of detail re freight at individual UK airports is provided for that month.

Table 13 shows, for example, that in December 2018 81 tonnes of freight were set down at CWL and 4 tonnes picked up, all by non-EU airlines, presumably Qatar.

Table 14 breaks it down to passenger or charter aircraft and shows the 85 tonnes were carried by non-EU passenger aircraft, again this points to Qatar.

Table 15 is a summary.

The figures can be obtained for other months by clicking on them.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Admin #1,557
Members of the Welsh Affairs committee will visit Cardiff Airport today to hear the case for devolving Air Passenger Duty.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-47176479
https://www.parliament.uk/business/...t-2017/cardiff-airport-committee-visit-17-19/

The Committee will travel to Cardiff Airport to consider how devolution of APD could bring such commercial and economic benefits, and how these weigh up against the potential for negative side effects for North Wales and surrounding English airports.

As part of its inquiry into Brexit, trade and customs: implications for Wales, the Committee will also be considering the steps the airport has taken to get ready for Brexit.

The visit will include a presentation from the executive board of Cardiff Airport and a tour of the passenger and cargo terminals.

The committee has already taken a lot of written and oral evidence from those having an interest, including the WG and the CWL management, and from nominally independent 'experts', so it's difficult to imagine what further evidence they could hope to find during today's visit. The committee is hardly likely expect the WG or the CWL management to tell them why APD should not be devolved so who did they speak to today to be appraised of potential negative side effects of devolution?

Then again, most MPs love a good jolly at tax payers' expense. No doubt a good lunch was provided.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #1,558
The committee has already taken a lot of written and oral evidence from those having an interest, including the WG and the CWL management, and from nominally independent 'experts', so it's difficult to imagine what further evidence they could hope to find during today's visit. The committee is hardly likely expect the WG or the CWL management to tell them why APD should not be devolved so who did they speak to today to be appraised of potential negative side effects of devolution?

Then again, most MPs love a good jolly at tax payers' expense. No doubt a good lunch was provided.
Yep no doubt they got a nice day out from it and a good photo op from it!
I suppose as well it got to give them a chance to speak to people on the ground at Cardiff Airport which would be the immediate beneficiary of devolution.
'weigh up against the potential for negative side effects for North Wales' i find that bit interesting. As considering North Wales only has an airport that operates internal flights, so what negatives could there be? It also makes out that the north of Wales is like a separate entity and not part of the rest of Wales and that there won't be any benefit for greater international connectivity to Wales as a whole just to the one part.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #1,559
Just a few quotes from some of the MP's that visited the airport today from the BBC article.

Stimulating demand at Cardiff Airport is good for all of Wales, a leading Welsh MP has insisted.
David TC Davies MP also said he thought the Treasury would be "persuadable".

He is the chair of the Welsh Affairs Committee.
He said the passenger numbers at the airport were good but could be better and, and that devolving APD would benefit the whole of Wales, particularly south Wales.
However he also said that he was not sure it was true that Bristol Airport would be put at a disadvantage.

Labour MP Anna McMorrin told BBC Wales it was important that APD was devolved.

However Chris Davies, Conservative MP for Brecon and Radnorshire, said he remained sceptical and that the millions of pounds potentially involved could be spent elsewhere in Wales.

"We have looked very carefully at this. This airport was bought with £52m and it's had nearly £40m spent on it, and do we want to give it yet another subsidy."

A report for Welsh ministers suggested abolishing APD could increase annual passenger numbers by 62,000 while having a "marginal" impact on Bristol Airport.
I'd love to see that report and where they got the figure 62,000 from and whether it relates to short or long haul.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales...ales_news&ns_linkname=wales&ns_source=twitter

aviatorconcorde

Feb 1, 2018
South East Wales
https://www.parliament.uk/business/...t-2017/cardiff-airport-committee-visit-17-19/

The Committee will travel to Cardiff Airport to consider how devolution of APD could bring such commercial and economic benefits, and how these weigh up against the potential for negative side effects for North Wales and surrounding English airports.

As part of its inquiry into Brexit, trade and customs: implications for Wales, the Committee will also be considering the steps the airport has taken to get ready for Brexit.

The visit will include a presentation from the executive board of Cardiff Airport and a tour of the passenger and cargo terminals.

The lunch comment made me laugh! Although it’s true.

Advertisement

Top Bottom