Carwyn Jones would be a good candidate to replace Roger Lewis in my opinion. He seems enthusiastic about the airport and has good connections.

Carwyn Jones would be a good candidate to replace Roger Lewis in my opinion. He seems enthusiastic about the airport and has good connections.
I was thinking that myself. Though there no doubt would be shouts of jobs for the boys he is someone who seems passionate about it succeeding.

On another forum someone said that it should be someone from Bristol as they know how to run a successful airport. That person is very pro BRS but it is an interesting whether in effect they are different jobs and require different skills and whether someone from BRS would be a suitable candidate.

Carwyn Jones came out with some airport-related gaffes when he was FM. Eventually he sensibly decided to take a back seat when it came to airport comments and left it to the professionals.

For example, around the time the WG was purchasing CWL the FM averred that CWL would be handling more passengers than Bristol within ten years. A little while later he said that CWL should emulate BRS, followed not much later with a comment that CWL should model itself on BRS and SOU. At the time BRS was handling 6 mppa and SOU 2 mppa so I wondered which airport he had in mind.

Then there was the comment the day after the nationalisation plans were announced when the FM confidently told a bemused Radio Wales presenter that he was seeking a private sector partner who would share profits with the WG but be solely responsible for any losses. That partner never materialised. I wonder why.

For example, around the time the WG was purchasing CWL the FM averred that CWL would be handling more passengers than Bristol within ten years. A little while later he said that CWL should emulate BRS, followed not much later with a comment that CWL should model itself on BRS and SOU. At the time BRS was handling 6 mppa and SOU 2 mppa so I wondered which airport he had in mind.
I think at the time he probably had a lack of understanding of the airport and the way things worked so was too vocal. One of the things I see a lot on social media is that the expectation of CWL is extremely high, too high in my opinion. There are many who think that it should be as an airport up with BRS in passenger numbers, routes serving it and the airlines operating out of it, the most notable criticism being the lack of Easyjet and the FM probably had similar expectations.

I think at the time he probably had a lack of understanding of the airport and the way things worked so was too vocal. One of the things I see a lot on social media is that the expectation of CWL is extremely high, too high in my opinion. There are many who think that it should be as an airport up with BRS in passenger numbers, routes serving it and the airlines operating out of it, the most notable criticism being the lack of Easyjet and the FM probably had similar expectations.
Expectation and reality are often strangers that pass each other unnoticed in the night. Some people in the Bristol area don't think that BRS provides good route services at all judging from comments in the local press.

According to a comment on a ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- thread the Executive lounge now serves hot food. It's apparently serving soup now from lunchtime or just at lunchtime.
Still no hot breakfast which seems to be the main complaint but soup is better than nothing!

There are a few posters on the other forum who are saying that is the reason Wales won't get APD devolved and even if it did then the Welsh government wouldn't be able to abolish it or cut it and the Scottish governments recent decision has been pointed at as well. I personally couldn't see the WG finally getting hold of it and not doing something with it, whether reducing, cutting or changing it.

I watched an interview with Adam Price, Leader of Plaid Cymru, on BBC Tv News 24 (or whatever it's called these days) at teatime today regarding tomorrow's European elections.

He wants an independent Wales with the country remaining in the EU. He cited the case of the Republic of Ireland that was half as wealthy as Wales in 1960 but is now twice as wealthy. He believes that becoming a member of the EU as an independent nation would open up all sorts of funding that is available to the poorer countries within the EU. He doesn't think that Wales is treated with the respect it merits by Westminster.

Although he had some trouble in rationalising Wales' referendum majority in favour of leaving the EU, he believes that a second referendum would see a different result in Wales now that the issues have been put into sharp focus.

He said that support for independence is running at about 20% in polls which, he said, was a similar situation in Scotland not so many years ago, with support for independence North of the Border now around 44%.

Nothing specific was mentioned such as APD devolution, but it follows that an independent Wales would be able to make all its decisions on how the country was run, with taxation being just one of the powers for which the country would have complete control.

I thought that Adam Price made a case for independence within the very short time he had to put over his arguments. I would like to hear a serious cross-examination of his views. The BBC presenter/interviewer was Clive Myrie who I rate - I remember him beginning his broadcasting career on BBC Radio Bristol many years ago - but he didn't have the time to interrogate Mr Price intensively. The interview certainly gave me food for thought, for all that.

I watched an interview with Adam Price, Leader of Plaid Cymru, on BBC Tv News 24 (or whatever it's called these days) at teatime today regarding tomorrow's European elections.
I've watched a few interviews with him and he seems to come across well.
Ireland is often used as an example of what Wales could possibly achieve as an independent nation but there are lots of other smaller countries in the EU doing quite well as independent countries and of course they also get a voice at the negotiating table within it while basically Wales is ignored in the UK.
I think APD is just an example of taxes that could help make a difference to Wales if controlled by a Welsh government but aren't devolved but an independent Wales would have control of them and can use them to benefit Wales.
Even though pro independence supporters are in the minority independence is being talked about more and it does seem that Wales is on the verge of potentially Labour losing it's political dominance here which could accelerate it more and i think make Westminster respect Wales more. Independence is still a long way off but i do think it's only a matter of time before it becomes credible and a case of when and not if especially wiith a younger generation coming through that may well be more open minded about it rather than stuck on the old myths of Wales is too small and too poor to be independent.

Jerry

I've 'liked' your post not because I necessarily agree with any party political movement that might arise (I have no party allegiance anyway), but because I think you paint an accurate picture of the way things are beginning to move, but to what degree will only be known in the future.

APD is a relatively minor tax in the scheme of things and perhaps assumes greater importance to us aviation watchers than to the general public in Wales, but it is symptomatic of the sort of control the Welsh Government would have over the country's destiny if it possessed all the powers of government.

As most of us know, Scotland was given greater powers by Westminster, including taxation, when it appeared that it might be heading for independence as their referendeum loomed. It was a blatant attempt to sway the electorate. Whether it worked or whether the country would have voted to remain within the UK anyway is always an arguable point.

If Wales is not given greater powers in the normal course of events a growing independence movement might concentrate the minds of those in power in Westminster (whoever they are) with 'sweeteners' handed out which would doubtless include greater tax powers.

If the next UK General Election brings about a stalemate and either the Lib-Dems or Labour look to try to form an administration with the support of the nationalist parties and others all sorts of prospects begin to emerge.

Brexit shenanigans; a half-baked, quasi federal system of government in the UK: what a mess our elected representatives have got us into.

Lets clear out Westminister and start again please. Perhaps there should be a time limit on on how long an MP can sit? That way we’d always have fresh faces and not the same time wasters. Similar to US presidents.

If the next UK General Election brings about a stalemate and either the Lib-Dems or Labour look to try to form an administration with the support of the nationalist parties and others all sorts of prospects begin to emerge.

Brexit shenanigans; a half-baked, quasi federal system of government in the UK: what a mess our elected representatives have got us into.
In a way i do feel that the UK is in a crisis due to it's political system. The devolution settlement has been unequal leading to an imbalance in powers between the consituent parts and one part not having it's own devolved institution.
The first past the post system has also created in general a lack of the political parties having the ability to work together in a coalition and politics tends to become very tribal. I do think that is starting to change though and we will see more coalition governments in the future and hopefully that might be to the benefit of Wales.
The EU elections will be an interesting barometer especially for Plaid as i've seen quite a few people like me who have voted for them for the first time on twitter but their big test will come in the next Assembly elections and whether they could get into government and oust Labour.
It would be interesting to see what impact if any a Plaid government would have on the airport.
Lets clear out Westminister and start again please. Perhaps there should be a time limit on on how long an MP can sit? That way we’d always have fresh faces and not the same time wasters. Similar to US presidents.
Problem with that is many MP's are actually decent people who do a good job to the best of their abilities and are passionate about it. I just think limiting serving time would get rid of many people like them.
Too many sleepers in the commons and lords. Not railway sleepers.
The Lords is a bit of a joke, the UK should really have a second elected chamber.

The Lords is a bit of a joke, the UK should really have a second elected chamber.
I agree with your Lords comments, but there is a view that an elected second chamber would somehow reduce the power of the Commons with the second chamber members feeling they were put there by the public and therefore their views should carry greater weight (than is currently the case). That might led to even more difficulties in getting legislation enacted. Many other countries have two elected chambers but we can see from the USA how endlessly frustrating it can be, even in a Presidential system, to put the administration's wishes into law.

Probably getting away from CWL a bit now, but the way a future Welsh government might be shaped is certainly relevant to the airport and its future.

I agree with your Lords comments, but there is a view that an elected second chamber would somehow reduce the power of the Commons with the second chamber members feeling they were put there by the public and therefore their views should carry greater weight (than is currently the case). That might led to even more difficulties in getting legislation enacted. Many other countries have two elected chambers but we can see from the USA how endlessly frustrating it can be, even in a Presidential system, to put the administration's wishes into law.

Probably getting away from CWL a bit now, but the way a future Welsh government might be shaped is certainly relevant to the airport and its future.
It would also make it harder in the UK in that the PM now has to be from the Commons and that wasn't always the case. It would mean that there would need to be more consensus politics than there is now.

At the moment this is what CWL will look like at peak in winter 2019/20 for weekly departures.
Flybe 60 weekly departures (4680 departing seats assumed all Q400)
KLM 20 weekly departures (1832 departing seats)
Eastern Airways 16 weekly departures (364 departing seats)
TUI 11 weekly departures (2079 departing seats)
Qatar Airways 5 weekly departures (1270 departing seats)
Vueling 5 weekly departures (930 departing seats)
Ryanair 4 weekly departures (756 departing seats)
121 weekly departures in total. (11,911 departing seats)
Overnighting aircraft will be 1 Flybe Q400 tbc, 1 Eastern Airways J41, 1 TUI 737 800 and 1 KLM E190.

On site airport parking is now inadequate. All car parks full on Saturday except a small area for an overpriced “meet and greet” deal (attendant says hello and points to parking space) at £72 for seven days. Off airport parking available for £58 with frequent flyer discount, but a 10 min bus ride away.
It seems the airport hasn’t planned properly for the rising passenger numbers.

Unless they've reduced the parking areas theres always been ample space, with an overflow by BAMC, even when the airport was at 2m+. Lost revenue there if it is.

I believe that they have a Meet and greet car park which was short stay before, short stay is now where long stay 2 was and Long stay 1 is now long stay and the park and ride car park which I think is by the Celtic hotel. There is also what long stay 3 used to be but that isn't in use and that's by the BAMC end. View attachment 13354

An advert in the printed edition of the Western Mail today, for holidays to Lake Garda with Newmarket Holidays, from July 2019 right through to September 2020. So there must be an airline operating to Verona next summer from CWL, but I don't know who, will it still be Flybe on the Dash8?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock