News Guru

Administrator
Apr 10, 2010
EUROPE
European-Union
[textarea]Blue Islands to buy Aurigny

The Guernsey owned airline Aurigny is set to be sold to its rival Blue Islands. The States have agreed in principle with Blue Islands to sell Aurigny and Anglo-Normandy Engineering.

When the States bought Aurigny in 2003, they did so to protect slots at Gatwick seen as essential to business and leisre connections to the Island, but that can only be owned by an airline. Since then there has been opposition, mainly from rival airlines, to the ownership.

The States and Blue Islands will now negotiate terms for two months before a final decision on the sale.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Jersey Airport Blue Island plane crash

A plane has crashed after touching down at Jersey Airport.

The landing gear on the Blue Islands ATR 42 plane failed to open after what was described by their airline as an "unspecified" mechanical failure.

The flight from Guernsey to Jersey, with 43 people on board crashed on the runway at about 08:30 BST.

No-one was injured, but flights have been suspended and the runway will remain closed until 14:30 BST. Passengers should check in as normal.[/textarea]
Full report at http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-18469947

Rather an emotive and exaggerated headline.

Not the sort of journalism we would expect from the BBC with a title"Jersey Airport Blue Island plane crash", maybe the Sun or the Mirror perhaps? I can't imagine what went through the minds of relatives reading that material.

The franchise agreement with Flybe has now been confirmed and will take effect from June this year. The Blue Islands aircraft will be Flybe branded with Flybe flight numbers although Blue Islands will continue as an independent airline with its own AOC.

http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/eur ... ent-flybe/

What now for the Flybe franchise if the Virgin consortium (assuming Flybe shareholders accept the Virgin consortium bid) decides it wants to take a completely different approach to its new airline's business?

Wouldn't they just continue to operate under franchise agreement? Anyone have any idea how long it is for?

With the new website and branding launched, along with the announcement of SOU-MAN & reduction of JER-EXT i've drawn up the current schedule as per Blue Islands website today. The schedule is taken from mid October, so obviously subject to change.
Brief Summary:
Aircraft bases - 2x JER, 1x GCI, 1x SOU

Routes
JER-BHX x3 weekly (MoWeFr)
JER-BRS x7 weekly (Mo-Su)
JER-GCI x15 weekly (Twice daily Mon-Sat / Once Sunday)
JER-EMA x3 weekly (TuThSa)
JER-EXT x3 weekly (TuThSa)
JER-SOU x14 weekly (Twice daily)

GCI-SOU x12 (Twice Daily Mo-Fr & once daily Sa & Su)

SOU-MAN x7 weekly (Mo-Su)
MAN-EXT x7 weekly (Mo-Su) W Pattern with SOU/MAN aircraft
SOU-DUB x4 weekly (MoWeFrSu)

Still several gaps in the schedule for additional routes, or just poor fleet utilisation! The GCI aircraft sits there every day from 0900-1845.
Schedule attached

Blue Islands will soon be launching a Jersey-Ibiza route. No flights on sale yet but expected to be soon.

Sean M1997 twitter

What aircraft will they use I wonder they only have props at present .
I’m unsure if they are getting any different planes for the IBZ route. But presuming at the moment they will use an ATR72 on the route. Though it does seem like a rather lengthy flight for an ATR.

The ATR can make it fairly easily range wise.

Longest current routes for ATRs are:

ATR42: Totegegie - Papeete 1028 miles
ATR72: Tel Aviv - Kiev 1289 miles

Jersey to Ibiza is "just" 735 miles, so just over half as long as the longest ATR72 route.

ATR would be longer flight time than a jet, but a direct route would be quicker than flying to the mainland first to then get on a jet.

Yes your correct. I also look at Flybe when they use to do flights to Spain, they sometimes used a Q400 on routes from SOU to ALC and PMI so they will have no issue with IBZ-JER on the ATR

Its good to give Jersey this connection. You don't often think of Turboprops doing summer sun routes, but I suppose going back a bit it was quite the norm. I do remember BAF using Viscounts to Palma from Southend.

In the mid/late 60's, it was common practice for Viscounts to fly to the Balearics.

Press release:

Blue Islands Goes Carbon Neutral​

Created: 22nd Nov 2021

A partnership with Durrell’s Rewild Carbon programme

Blue Islands is committed to every one of its flights being carbon neutral from 1 December 2021 through a new partnership with Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust. The local airline will balance the carbon impacts of delivering regional air connectivity, which is a vital part of island infrastructure.

Rob Veron, CEO Blue Islands said, “Connecting people, whether for our social wellbeing or economic prosperity, is an essential part of island life. We recognise that this necessity comes at a cost to our planet, for which we all need to take responsibility and part of this is ensuring our air services are as sustainable as possible. By becoming carbon neutral, we are taking this vital first step in our journey towards our long-term goal of fully replacing the technology that we use.

“With our heart in the Channel Islands, we’re proud to partner with an organisation that has developed an accountable, transparent and scientific programme to fully balance our carbon impacts for every flight, and that is synonymous with Jersey.”

In addition to offsetting its carbon impact in the short-term, Blue Islands is seeking to further reduce its impact through next generation technologies as they evolve for commercial use and reducing its emissions as much as possible in the interim. A longer-term zero carbon target is the ultimate goal.

Durrell’s Rewild Carbon programme has four central pillars: Revive ecosystems; Recover species; Reduce carbon; Rebuild livelihoods. 95% of all monies the programme receives goes straight to nature. The first project is in the Atlantic rainforest in Brazil. It is a holistic programme covering reforestation, as well as animal and human regeneration to create a sustainable ecosystem in a previously ravaged rainforest area.

From today, all seats booked to fly from 1 December 2021 will include a £1 Carbon Offset Contribution that will be put towards fully balancing the carbon impacts for every flight.

Dr Lesley Dickie, CEO Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust said, “We are delighted that Blue Islands has chosen to work with Durrell to manage its carbon emissions via Rewild Carbon. There is an urgent need to tackle both the climate and biodiversity crisis and we all need to take responsibility for reducing our carbon footprint and making sustainable choices.

“Rewild Carbon achieves so much more than removing carbon from the atmosphere -our project is also packed with biodiversity and community benefits that will protect both people and wildlife.

“Connectivity is a vital part of island life and Blue Islands’ commitment to Rewild Carbon means that we will be able accelerate our plans to connect forest fragments in the Atlantic Rainforest. We are looking forward to sharing updates with their customers on the growth of this forest and the wonderful wildlife that live there.”

For more information on Rewild Carbon and Blue Islands’ vital first step for a sustainable future, see www.blueislands.com/ourplanet

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock