backtrack

Jun 24, 2009
Leeds, UK
It is expected that when Thomson take delivery of their new Boeing 787 dreamliners in 2012, of the first batch (of 8 units), one unit only (Number 3) will be based at GLA. The majority will go to MAN and two at LGW.

I was at the end of the runway for 787 arrival on the sunday morning at Farnborough nice machine :clap:

1. It appears that the Airline will be reducing the number of personnel based here, not helping morale and possibly reducing flights. Apparently this will be due solely to only financial considerations and not taking into account any other aspects.

2. It appears that the airline will in the near future introduce the Airbus 380 for holiday flights, but will be staffed entirely by staff at Gatwick Airport, and no personnel from Glasgow will crew it.

BigAlex58 said:
he near future introduce the Airbus 380 for holiday flights, but will be staffed entirely by staff at Gatwick Airport, and no personnel from Glasgow will crew it.

The A380?? :shok: :shok: That would be an interesting thing to see, but would it be viable?

It appears that the airline will in the near future introduce the Airbus 380 for holiday flights, but will be staffed entirely by staff at Gatwick Airport, and no personnel from Glasgow will crew it.

Do you mean the Boeing 787?

It's due to commence weekly operations from Glasgow to Florida and Mexico next May.

Thomson has no A380s nor orders for the type.

Thomson Airways add new fourth Boeing 787 Dreamliner route from Glasgow
13 August 2013

Thomson Airways have confirmed they will operate the new state-of-the-art Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft on direct flights from Glasgow Airport to the Dominican Republic next summer.

The weekly service to Punta Cana on the Caribbean island will take to the skies on 01 May 2014 and will run throughout the summer season, operating every Thursday.

The new route is part of Thomson Airways recent expansion from Glasgow Airport and Punta Cana will be the airlines third route from the airport to be operated by the revolutionary Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

The aircraft’s first ever transatlantic flight departed Glasgow Airport for Cancun on 08 July and has since proved very popular with passengers. Almost 300 passengers flew on the inaugural flight and 97% rated their experience as 'excellent' or 'good.'

Paul Cooper, airport negotiations manager for Thomson and First Choice, said: “Adding the extra capacity and the introduction of the Thomson 787 Dreamliner demonstrates the importance of Glasgow Airport and the local area to our business, and following the success of similar routes from the airport, we know that the demand is there.

“Expanding access to our portfolio of destinations and hotels is a key part of our overall strategy. We hope that this move will enhance the holiday experience for our customers and that they are as excited as we are about the new 787 Dreamliner.”

Francois Bourienne, commercial director at Glasgow Airport, said: “This is yet more good news from Thomson and First Choice. It was an honour to have been the first UK airport to wave off the Dreamliner on its inaugural transatlantic passenger flight and the decision to add Punta Cana is a clear demonstration of the tour operator’s commitment to the Glasgow market.”

Local passengers will now have access to some of Thomson and First Choice’s most popular hotels including the brand new for summer 2014 Memories SplashWorld Resort, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic which features a spa and fitness centre as well as an onsite waterpark with multi-lane slide, stomach-plummeting black hole and a pool full of mini-waterslides for the younger ones.

Thomson flights and holidays from Glasgow can be booked now at thomson.co.uk.

Summer 2024 TUI Updates
  • AYT - Inc from 3 to 5 weekly
  • NBE - Inc from 1 to 2 weekly
  • ACE - Inc from 2 to 3 weekly
  • PMI - Inc from 3 to 5 weekly
  • REU - Inc from 3 to 4 weekly
  • RHO - Inc from 2 to 3 weekly
  • TFS - Inc from 3 to 5 weekly
  • ZTH - Inc from 1 to 2 weekly
  • VRN - Inc from 1 to 2 weekly
  • SSH - Op 2 weekly (was winter only)
  • SID - Op 1 weekly (was winter only)
  • MLB - Peak season extended from 4 to 5 weeks
  • CUN - Peak season extended from 4 to 5 weeks
Another 2 737's (1 MAX and 1 -800) will be added to GLA from next summer.

Summer 2025 goes on sale tomorrow, will pop a post up at some point when I get the chance.

Certainly would not surprise me if it is, they have allowed Jet2 to grow significantly over the last few years. The next thing for them to consider is increasing MLB to cover for all the lost Virgin Atlantic capacity.
Some decent increases there. Is this Jet2 fight back?

Looks like TUI are dropping SSH down to 1 weekly from mid January and will suspend the route during the summer months.

Currently there is nothing in its place.

Looks like TUI are dropping SSH down to 1 weekly from mid January and will suspend the route during the summer months.

Currently there is nothing in its place.
Didn’t they just recently add the second weekly summer SSH? Only to drop it completely now before waiting for January bookings. Looks like they are making cuts across the board, HRG seems to be affected at other bases.

Didn’t they just recently add the second weekly summer SSH? Only to drop it completely now before waiting for January bookings. Looks like they are making cuts across the board, HRG seems to be affected at other bases.
My personal doc for TUI has 2x week Sharm added for S24 in April and then a change of days took place in November.

My guess and this is pure speculation, is that the proximity to the Israel-Gaza war and the consistent inclusion of Egypt in UK news reports is not helping bookings. TUI is still taking seats on easyJet's GLA-HRG route.

A bit of timetable changing has taken place on Thursday from what I can see next summer.

The 0930 AYT which was operated by someone else on behalf of TUI is cancelled and will now be operated by TUI themselves departing at 1630, using the unit freed up by SSH being cut.

A bit of timetable changing has taken place on Thursday from what I can see next summer.

The 0930 AYT which was operated by someone else on behalf of TUI is cancelled and will now be operated by TUI themselves departing at 1630, using the unit freed up by SSH being cut.

same with Wednesday too, the Sharm El Sheikh flight has been replaced by Dalaman (which was meant to be on FreeBird), and the evening Rhodes flight has been replaced by Palma

TUI are cutting back their Egypt programme for summer

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock