Qatar might end up becoming the second Etihad if they're not careful. I would be interested to see the financial performance of their UK routes.

Depends on whether Qatar the country will still bankroll them. Personally I think they will as they have the money.

It's often written that Qatar Airways don't seem particularly bothered about losses.They are owned by the Qatari government that overseas a country with the highest income per capita in the world and the world's third largest natural gas and oil reservces. All this in a country the size of a postage stamp in world terms.

The Qatari government will certainly not want to be seen to be doing anything that will put them in the world spotlight for the wrong reasons until at least after the FIFA World Cup takes place in 2022.

Reuters and the BBC are reporting Qatar Airways to announce considerable redundancies including crew.

From today's Travel Trade Gazette

Qatar Airways plans to reinstate flights from Heathrow, Edinburgh and Manchester by the end of June, subject to UK government permission.

Qatar Airways Summer 2022 UK frequency’s:
London Heathrow- 4 daily flights
Manchester- 3 daily flights
Edinburgh- 1 daily flight
London Gatwick- 1 daily flight

Thanks to SeanM1997 on Twitter for the info

Meanwhile, it's being reported that QR are making it known to whoever's listening that there are problems with their A350s, only around 3 years old.

QR want to cancel a large A350 order but Airbus aren't budging. Seems that QR are talking up a minor fault with paint into something more serious. Many renowned testing facilities have examined the "cracks" and reported there is no danger to the integrity of the aircraft.

Qatar Airways Summer 2022 UK frequency’s:
London Heathrow- 4 daily flights
Manchester- 3 daily flights
Edinburgh- 1 daily flight
London Gatwick- 1 daily flight

Thanks to SeanM1997 on Twitter for the info
No BHX or CWL shown at the moment then.

• Thanks
Reactions: CM.
Having Qatar as a resident carrier is clearly good for BHX but given the unpleasant dispute with Airbus, I personally have no time or interest in the airline. I await the outcome of High Court proceedings before I soften my position!
Purely out of interest, do you also have "no time or interest" in Airbus until the outcome of the High Court proceedings? For my part, I don't have the aeronautical engineering knowledge to make a call on this. I've seen many reports, regarding the issue and only one airworthiness authority (Qatar) is claiming it to be a safety issue. However, I could fully understand passengers boarding an A350, showing the damage that I've seen published, being very concerned.
I remember, aged around 14, boarding a Dan-Air One-Eleven - 500 (G-BDAE) to return from Palma to the UK. As I walked out across the tarmac, I noticed that the paint on the aircraft looked like flaking chalk. All I thought was that it 'needed repainting'. I never considered any possible corrosion issues to the aircraft.

Kevin

I have a neutral standpoint with regard to Airbus in the dispute with Qatar although I understand the views of both parties and having a legal mind, I measure the merits of the arguments I am not having access to at this time. Thus, no preference to either party except that I find Qatar to be a belligerent actor in this matter. Personal opinion of course. Al Bakar has form apparently hence the wholesale cancellation of existing orders by Airbus for A350 and A320.

A civil case is not decided on evidence alone, it is the balance of probabilities and this the core of the dispute. Is the surface degradation a safety issue or not? Airbus say not and European regulators agree AL Baker does not agree.

The other element is that Qatar have declined to accept delivery of completed airframes until the degradation issue has been resolved. Airbus consider this a breach of contract.

The other element is that Qatar have declined to accept delivery of completed airframes until the degradation issue has been resolved. Airbus consider this a breach of contract.
I believe that Airbus have cancelled all of the remaining Qatar Airbus A350 deliveries -

I did see reports that there may be an out of court settlement between Airbus and Qatar Airways, although I can't see this happening now. Also, I can't see Qatar Airways ordering any Airbus products (other than spares) in the long term future (could Airbus refuse to supply those?). Qatar Airways only other realistic option is Boeing. Boeing could under these circumstances, keep prices high for Qatar, but I think that Boeing will give Qatar Airways a 'favourable deal', in order to spite Airbus.
Interesting times!

Kevin

The legal course is ongoing and other matters between the parties are separate and distinct. I would not wish to be at Boeing right now since Al Baker will be seeking a financial deal unfriendly to Boeing. If asked, I would choose Airbus first even if the paint flakes!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock