Has anyone heard anymore on future uses of the Thomas Cook hangar. I saw it mentioned that there had been a report on another forum of Virgin being interested? I’d personally be surprised as it’s such a large facility, when they have already got Heathrow and Gatwick. I’d say it was at least as big as the combined area of their existing engineering hangars.

However in a way I can see how it could prove an attractive site for A330 maintenance with so many qualified Thomas Cook Engineering staff on the market. Obviously a significant proportion of their A330 fleet uses Trent 700 engines that Thomas Cook staff would know inside out. With the A350 and A330 neo coming on line to replace the 747, it would be relatively inexpensive to train up former Thomas Cook engineering staff on these fleets.

In hindsight the TCX hangar would seem to be a better fit for the Jet2 operation than the ex Monarch hangar. However I can’t imagine after investing in converting the hangar for their operations it would be that feasible for them to switch over. The ex Monarch hangar or Air Livery hangar (I believe this is now to be used for storage) would seem more of a right size fit for an expansion of Virgin‘s engineering operations into MAN.

Don’t forget ... “Virgin” now includes a rather large fleet of DHC8-400’s and Embraer 175 /195’s these days.

Something to distract you from work....

Plane talking

Every year, NATS handles more than 2.5 million flights. Take a journey through the skies, learn the language of aviation and see how NATS Air Traffic Controllers safely guide a real domestic flight from London Heathrow to Manchester.

Do KLM always downsize number of flights for the winter period? I am connecting via AMS and due to a delay to my initial flight into AMS, I missed my connection at 16:20 and have been transferred to the next flight at 21:45! Quite a wait when there’s not a awful lot to do in the D gate area at Schiphol. I recalled an 19:00 arrival into MAN around a year or so ago, so I was very surprised when I was informed my wait would be for 5hrs and a €15 euro voucher!
Never mind...Heineken it is then!

Made some quick mental observations whilst spending the weekend in Manchester and flying out today.
Any comments/feedback welcome:
  • BT pay phones still in operation
  • Pier C airbridges - cleanliness
  • Train station roof - cleanliness
  • Lack of glass on T2X compared to current T2
  • Carpet in T3 arrivals area prior to immigration - new flooring planned?
  • 6 new e passport gates in T3? Location?
  • Lighting around airfield on during daylight hours, particularly at new and current areas of T2 and inside offices
  • What is the max speed for aircraft pushback? Sometimes seems very slow compared to other European airports
  • Christmas decorations/trees in terminals and train station??

Does anyone have any recent experiences of the Escape Lounge in T1? We are due to pass through T1this weekend and had booked the lounge some months ago but looking at some recent reviews there is hardly a good word for the place. Any advice please anyone?

Thanks in advance

Just to advise:

Before Christmas I added a new airport news section located above the MAN forum page. The benefits of this is news articles can be featured on the site homepage; all the news items for MAN can be featured together in one place; it creates a one stop point for MAN news; it prevents the forums generic threads from being pushed off the 1st and 2nd page of the forum.

If a news item is relevent within a specific generic thread within the forum, the preferred way of reporting the news within the thread would be to add a link.

Examples below.

Add a url link will show as:

or

Using the forums link code will show as:

Manchester Airport reveals progress made on £1bn transformation programme

To me it seems barmy, the airport has been very good at doing what it is there for attracting new routes and airlines however it could now get punished for it strange situation. Manchester is London's Heathrow other airports in the Midlands and North need to just get on with what they do and let Manchester continue to grow. Hopefully nothing comes of it and the airport keeps the momentum of the last few years.

To me it seems barmy, the airport has been very good at doing what it is there for attracting new routes and airlines however it could now get punished for it strange situation. Manchester is London's Heathrow other airports in the Midlands and North need to just get on with what they do and let Manchester continue to grow. Hopefully nothing comes of it and the airport keeps the momentum of the last few years.
It seems that it was an airline not an airport that raised the issue according to news report in the MEN and quoted MAN saying it was an airline

It seems that it was an airline not an airport that raised the issue according to news report in the MEN and quoted MAN saying it was an airline
A different report elsewhere states it could have been Peel holdings which may make some sense having Liverpool on Manchester's doorstep and being the one airport that feels Manchester's presence more than most. What and why would make an airline be so bothered and if so who could it be it seems a bit of a head scratcher why a specific airline would have such an issue with Manchester?. All operators seem to sit quite happily into the Manchester landscape, could it be BA playing games?

As things stand it is not an issue and hopefully won't become one only time will tell if that stays the case MAG have already had the same issue thrown at them at Stansted, todays announcement of Westjet is another building block and another exciting year is ahead for the airport with a number of new airlines to come later in the year.

If it was an airport operator then I also think Peel would be the most likely but there again what in reality would they have to gain by doing so. I still think it more likley to be an airline and if it is I would go for Flybe in light of their troubles.

I think whoever it is maybe questioning how they're attracting so many airlines and routes as it is pretty constant news from MAN about new routes and airlines. If MAN hasn't done anything wrong then I don't think they have anything to fear.

But FlyBe is (hopefully) set to become Virgin Connect, and MAG appears to have a good working relationship with Virgin / Delta. It would be very surprising if it was them. Besides, I think FlyBe have bigger things to worry about.

The airline concerned (if it is an airline) could even be one of the smaller names. Or one which couldn't agree terms to its liking for the introduction of new Manchester ops. Too many possibilities ... probably best not to speculate on (likely innocent) names.

why a specific airline would have such an issue with Manchester?
Depends. If they feel certain operators are getting way to unfavourable deals and its effecting their business they might feel aggrieved enough to report MAN.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock