b747fan

Aug 14, 2010
Hi,
I am new to this forum, and in fact, new to forums generally. Forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong!

When I was a kid (30+ years ago!), I lived in Leeds and used to visit LBA regularly. At the back of the airport, on waste ground, was an old wrecked airliner that was used for fire practice. It was there for as long as I can remember. I have started spotting again and have visited LBA, but I see that it has now gone.

There is no mention of it in Alan Phillips' excellent book, '60 years of Leeds Bradford Airport.'

Has anyone any knowledge of its identity?

Thanks
b747fan

Hi b747fan

The aircraft was Vickers Varsity WL678, it was on the LBA fire dump up to the mid 80's.

That's very good of you to get me the info.

Many thanks Norjet806

b747fan

I saw that Varsity (RAF Air Support Command) make its final flight into LBA one evening when I had gone up to the airport on my bike, although I can't remember the year. It would have been in the late 60's I think. What always stuck in my mind was that it landed on what is now the North/South taxiway, approaching from the Bramhope side and parked up on the pan at the top, by the golf course. The next time I went to the airport it was on the fire dump and had already been set on fire - the whole aircraft leaning over on to one wing, which is pretty much how it stayed until eventually it was burned so much there was nothing left of it.

b747fan,

On behalf of all members of forums4airports welcome aboard.

You will find this a very relaxed and friendly site and everyone's opinion is respected.

I look forward to future posts from you.

Thanks LocalYokel.

very impressed how quickly an answer came through to my enquiry. Also, very nice to be welcomed.

Thanks,

b747fan

Have you all seen the Shorts360 on the fire practice ground. Getting abit haggerd now but i remember when that aircraft went off the runway at "Sheffield city airport". Look North got very excited about it.

Welcome aboard b747fan :hatsoff: Nice to have a 747 at LBIA! :LOL: I too remember the wrecked aircraft when I used to visit as a young kid in the 80's. Nice to finally find out what it was.

Talking of wrecked aircraft, I see that N646VP is still in hangar 1. Anyone know what is to happen to it?

Yes I remember that plane when I was taken to view the airport and watch as they landed and stop just before the wall at the end of rw32 always looked close.
What is the red/white building now standing where the fire plane was. I used to park up there in the early 90's but you can't now.

I think that the building you may refer to Siddy, is an emergency control tower, and has been used a couple of times when the main control tower has been struck by lightning.

I note on another site, photos of the fire section's Shorts 360 EI-BPD leaving the fire ground on the back of a low loaded. It is pictured on Delta taxiiway. Anyone know the fate of the hulk??? Also are we getting a replacement "aircraft" for use by the fire section?

I note on another site, photos of the fire section's Shorts 360 EI-BPD leaving the fire ground on the back of a low loaded. It is pictured on Delta taxiiway. Anyone know the fate of the hulk??? Also are we getting a replacement "aircraft" for use by the fire section?
I guess they will have to get something to set fire to unless they have one of those fire practice cylinder things.
Post automatically merged:

Interesting to note that the Shorts 360 recently removed, EI-BPD, met it's end at Sheffield City Airport on 4th Feb 2001 when a bad landing from Dublin, resulted in it being written off. I remember it well!

Last edited:
I guess they will have to get something to set fire to unless they have one of those fire practice cylinder things.
Post automatically merged:

Interesting to note that the Shorts 360 recently removed, EI-BPD, met it's end at Sheffield City Airport on 4th Feb 2001 when a bad landing from Dublin, resulted in it being written off. I remember it well!
It hasn't been used for fire practice for years. They do have one of the metal cylinder things which is on the fire ground. Recently it was used to practice piercing the hull structure with the new fire appliances.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

I've asked Gareth Southgate for the winning lottery numbers. He said 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
Aviador wrote on VC10's profile.
Thank you once again for your contribution to the running costs of Forums4airports. It's much appreciated.
Come On You England Boys
New "Helpful" tick and a "Great Photo" camera reactions now added.
X (Formerly Twitter) embeds should now be working fully again, though you may need to use the [MEDIA] BB Code to see the full effect if the single link doesn't embed correctly ;)
Being elevated in the field of Law does not make one immune from the troubles of medical life, apart from a long standing Brain issue, I have been diagnosed with Angina, a condition that actually hurts. I have no family and since my precious dog Peggy died, I have have no one to oblige myself. I am unwell, cannot avoid that so I wish you all well.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock