Its not the new fire station is it as that's going over that side some where.
I was looking from about half a mile away so didn't get a detailed look. The impression I got was that it was quite a big structure.

There was talk at one time about relocating the fuel farm as that would open up a fair amount of space. Do we know if this is still on the cards.If its still on the cards to be moved where will it be relocated and will it have under ground storage tanks.

That is indeed the new fire station being built. It will be on the South side of the airfield directly across the runway from the new far western stands 37-39.
Thank you for that, Severn. I suppose the new location will bring a slight bonus in that the fire appliances will no longer need to cross the runway to access their training fire ground.

South Side (again)

I had a wander along the A38 this afternoon and noticed the entrance road to South Side is being widened. I spoke to one of the workmen who told me they will be building a different entry route inside the complex. He also said something about a hire car building being built, but I would have thought that sounds a bit unlikely because it would mean travellers having to get to South Side before they could pick up their rental car. That said, the current arrangement on North Side has the (is it eight, or more than that?) car rental companies on two sites some way apart.

but I would have thought that sounds a bit unlikely because it would mean travellers having to get to South Side before they could pick up their rental car.
A lot of car hire companies provide free shuttle buses so I'd imagine that is what they'd do.

Enterprise currently use the old Terminal car park so it could be them if they aren't going into the new Northside area.

A lot of car hire companies provide free shuttle buses so I'd imagine that is what they'd do.
Not ideal at BRS. The front of the terminal is frequently jam-packed with buses including those servicing the car parks, some of which are long 'bendy buses'. At busy times in the summer there can be very long queues awaiting the next bus to the Silver Zone car park on the South Side (about a mile and a quarter away). Add car rental courtesy buses to this mix and there would be some unhappy bunnies waiting to be taken to the car rental station.

Enterprise currently use the old Terminal car park so it could be them if they aren't going into the new Northside area.
It's not just Enterprise now is it? I thought one or two of the others had moved there as well.

You're right, although i'm not sure which companies use it. It's a different setup to the others. In the main car park they are all in one building but have separate desks. In the enterprise building it's only the one office/desk space but serves a few companies. A codeshare for car hire you could say!
It might be something contractual with the other companies that don't allow Car Hire companies to operate in the same vicinity.

The multi storey car park will be opening soon.

As a nice gesture or maybe as trial guinea pigs all staff are welcome to use the car park fron 12-14 May when reporting for work. I guess it will be soon opened to the public after those dates.

Didn't realise how big the car park would be, quite a structure, though it looks like it could use another storey or two.

Its built so that they can add more floors to it in the future then. Has it been build to the height that the planning was granted for and how many floors is there.It seems like they been and built this very quickly as the question I asked was it built to the size of planning consent.

Its built so that they can add more floors to it in the future then. Has it been build to the height that the planning was granted for and how many floors is there.It seems like they been and built this very quickly as the question I asked was it built to the size of planning consent.

OK I have checked the plans for the parking garage, It would seem they have increased the size of the footprint of garage A ot include a futcher small add on to one side, garage B is to follow at some time in the futcher (unknown) Garage A has planning for 5 floors but they only wanted 3 floors to start with, the last 2 floors to be added later as demand increases. The transport hub and interchange will be on level 5 of garage B as and when this is built.

Thanks Jono 577 for the info and update of what they built or not built. Impressive to construct so quickly.

OK I have checked the plans for the parking garage, It would seem they have increased the size of the footprint of garage A ot include a futcher small add on to one side, garage B is to follow at some time in the futcher (unknown) Garage A has planning for 5 floors but they only wanted 3 floors to start with, the last 2 floors to be added later as demand increases. The transport hub and interchange will be on level 5 of garage B as and when this is built.

If we cast our minds back a couple of years, the airport successfully applied to the local authority to have the extension to the Silver Zone car park brought forward to precede the construction of the MSCP. Originally the MSCP was to be built first but summer 2017 was anticipated to be extremely busy (which it was) and the airport argued that without the Silver Zone extension there would be serious parking congestion because the MSCP could not be built in time.

These Very Special Circumstances that the local authority accepted enabled prior extension of the Silver Zone into the Green Belt to go ahead but only for use between 1 May and 31 October in any year with the proviso that the MSCP must be constructed and all its 984 car parking spaces available for use before the Silver Zone extension could be used (between 1 May and 31 October) in subsequent years.

It followed that the MSCP had to be open in early May to permit the Silver Zone extension to be used as well.

I note that the multi storey car park opened this morning and has already received good reviews. I also note work has started in the check in areas . Any ideas what work it is ? Finally I note complaints again regarding baggage reclaim over the weekend. Is this the case at other airports or is it a brs specific issue. I have to say in all the times I've passed through arrivals I've never had to wait once thru passport control

My experience at BRS is that passport control usually doesn't take very long and once you made it through the bags are often already there or will appear within minutes. However, when I got back from CPH last week, it took Swissair about 50 minutes to get the luggage onto the belt. So people were waiting for 45 minutes. (Even more annoying if you only had hand-luggage but the airline announces half-way through boarding that all remaining bags must go into the hold.) The worst thing is there was simply no information whatsoever what's going on. On Twitter the airport just deflects blame onto Swissair, but the fact is this reflects badly on the airport itself, not least for not having someone there who can provide information and liaise with the baggage handlers. Other airports have displays that tell you how long it might take for the luggage to arrive, but not at BRS. Apologies if this is going a bit off-topic.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock