The Portishead to Bristol rail link has been canned yet again,saying there is no money. So if there did happen to get a rail link to the airport,it looks like the rail company would be knocking on the airports door for money.

The Portishead to Bristol rail link has been canned yet again,saying there is no money. So if there did happen to get a rail link to the airport,it looks like the rail company would be knocking on the airports door for money.

But Portishead is getting the much publicised Metrobus.

How they can call the metrobus a tram cousin escapes me. Isnt it just a normal bus that can drive on a road or on a groove on the road that is bus sized.

My understanding is that there is a funding shortfall and one possible source to make up that shortfall didn't pan out, but there may still be hope to obtain funding to bridge the gap from elsewhere.

My understanding is that there is a funding shortfall and one possible source to make up that shortfall didn't pan out, but there may still be hope to obtain funding to bridge the gap from elsewhere.
The money the transport minister said would be used for local rail projects instead of electrification, for starters. I wonder what happened to that.

R&M Williams celebrates topping out Bristol Airport’s new fire station project

R&M Williams and the project team at Bristol Airport have topped out the structural steelwork at the site’s £4.3million state of the art fire station.

topping-out-656x193.ashx

The new fire station is ideally located next to the runway and the existing fire training ground and will replace the existing fire station built elsewhere on the site in the 1980s. It has been built to accommodate the future growth of Bristol Airport.

R&M Williams already has experience of working within the aerospace industry and this project adds to the extensive range of sectors the Cardiff-based contractor is working in.

Darryn Parry, managing director of R&M Williams, said:

“We are really excited to be working with the airport on this state of the art project. It is particularly challenging for us as we have had to work within the confines of a secure and constantly working environment and build a modern and pivotal part of the airport infrastructure.

“We have been working closely with the project team at Bristol Airport and we are very proud to have been awarded this scheme. It is great to see the building’s steel frame work being finished so that the next important stage of the build can start. I can’t wait to see it progress over the coming months.”

Oliver Peat, Senior Project Manager, Bristol Airport, said:

“We are delighted to be working collaboratively with R&M Williams and to see the fire station development project take shape. A lot of team effort and partnership working has to take place to complete a project of this scale in a secure environment such as an airport. We look forward to seeing this exciting project completed. ”

R&M Williams, which has construction, maintenance, development, mechanical and electrical installation, as well painting and decorating divisions, was named runner up in the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors project of the year award in November for its work on Swansea’s Urban Quarter. It won this award in 2014 for its regeneration of Penarth Pier. R&M Williams was also awarded a Local Authority Building Control Building Excellence Award and a silver Considerate Constructors National Site Award for its work on the Urban Quarter in the past month.

Bristol Airport

We mentioned this the other day in another BRS thread. Operationally it seems a better position than the current fire station as the new one will be on the same side of the runway as the fire training ground, therefore the need to cross the runway each time fire appliances travel to/from training is avoided.

When the new fire station opens,they wil more an likely ask to cross the runway towards the terminal.
I remember when they built the fire station they are in now,and that was a state of the art station. Just shows how things have changed with time.

The saga of BRS summer troubles last year was two fold. Long queues in security stretching all the way to the ground floor doors during the early morning departures rush. And the long wait for bags.

2018 appears to be an improvement. The security queues have more or less disapppeared. Managed by a bigger security hall and more staff.

But sadly the wait for bags is getting worse. All down to staffing with baggage handlers. Woefully inadequte. The twitter feed is getting complaints and Bristol Live correspondents have been seen to be asking twitter users for comments. Waits of 1 to 1.5 hrs is all too common especially during the peaks.

Unless they (swissport) double their staffing in the next month, the saga of delayed bags will hit the headlines i am sure.

The saga of BRS summer troubles last year was two fold. Long queues in security stretching all the way to the ground floor doors during the early morning departures rush. And the long wait for bags.

2018 appears to be an improvement. The security queues have more or less disapppeared. Managed by a bigger security hall and more staff.

But sadly the wait for bags is getting worse. All down to staffing with baggage handlers. Woefully inadequte. The twitter feed is getting complaints and Bristol Live correspondents have been seen to be asking twitter users for comments. Waits of 1 to 1.5 hrs is all too common especially during the peaks.

Unless they (swissport) double their staffing in the next month, the saga of delayed bags will hit the headlines i am sure.
Do you think it's a case of being unable to recruit sufficient staff or are the airlines screwing the handling companies with the contracts meaning the latter then cut staffing levels to make the operation viable for them?

Looking at Mayfly this week at random, the peaks and troughs of arrivals show some pretty steep peaks at times. For example:

Sundays: 22 arrivals scheduled between 1130 and 1325
Thursdays: 21 arrivals scheduled between 1130 and 1325
Fridays: 25 arrivals scheduled between 1120 and 1315
Fridays: 19 arrivals scheduled between 2200 and 0010 (Sat)

Add late arrivals to the mix and it can be seen that the airport needs a large team of baggage handlers for much of the week as there are many other busy periods as well as the ones I've highlighted.

There is one very big positive about the airport flight boards at the terminal and also online.

The terminal flight screen does not show every destination on a code share on separate lines. The codeshare airline flight numbers just cycle through on the corner. It is so much nicer than some other airports where every code share flight number takes up a separate line.

In cardiff they appear to deliberatel set their boards to show 6 flights from Amsterdam landing at 11:30 am when we all know its just 1 flight.

Makes airport look busy.

One negative about the BRS board. They are too small to read at the airport except for the 2 main prominent ones.

In cardiff they appear to deliberatel set their boards to show 6 flights from Amsterdam landing at 11:30 am when we all know its just 1 flight.
No, they show the codeshare flight numbers on the route as not everyone will be aware if they are waiting for a passenger on a Delta or Jet Airways flight number that it's arriving on a KLM flight. They also do it for Flybe routes with a codeshare and Vueling as well.

There is one very big positive about the airport flight boards at the terminal and also online.

The terminal flight screen does not show every destination on a code share on separate lines. The codeshare airline flight numbers just cycle through on the corner. It is so much nicer than some other airports where every code share flight number takes up a separate line.

Makes airport look busy.

One negative about the BRS board. They are too small to read at the airport except for the 2 main prominent ones.
I note in the main check-in area landside they now have new departure FIDs for the entire 24 hours ahead, as has been the case in the departures area of the terminal for a while. Previously the displays could only cater for about the next 30-40 departures.

BRS also has that huge mechanical looking departures board above the main check-in desks that still only caters for the next 30-40 or so flight departures. Reminds me of some London rail termini of yesteryear.

In the early days of one of the Welsh aviation forums (WAN or WAF, can't remember which) someone asked a question as to why CWL had so many flights from Amsterdam on a particular morning.

When the BBC used to show airport arrivals on the old Ceefax I remember one day looking at EDI to find that one arrival had about a dozen different flight codes/numbers. It took up the greater part of a page as they were all listed beneath each other, and to the uninitiated would look like separate flights.

CWL uses an older system which is why it displays as it does. But I'm pretty sure LHR and BHX both show codeshare flights on its websites.

CWL uses an older system which is why it displays as it does. But I'm pretty sure LHR and BHX both show codeshare flights on its websites.
LHR certainly does. I was checking a flight only yesterday.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/absolute-shambles-chaos-bristol-airport-1659117

Bristol Post now highlighting the baggage handling problems. In their usual way they have trawled social media sites and repeated comments on those. There has been no attempt to engage in proper journalism and actually interview people as journalists used to do. They merely say at the end of the piece that they have asked Bristol Airport and Swissport for comments.

Probably asked them on social media. I jest. Or do I?

Nevertheless, we already know there are serious problems at BRS with baggage handling, and with overseas industrial action throwing schedules out of the window aircraft seem to be more and more arriving at unscheduled times which presumably puts more pressure on an already straining system.

It's not a new phenomenon at BRS but things certainly appear to be worsening. Although the responsibility lies with the airlines who choose to contract the handling companies, most people blame the airport. I believe it's about time the senior figure at the airport - currently the airport company chairman* who I believe has been covering CEO duties since Robert Sinclair left - told the public what the problems are. She has considerable experience of the aviation and travel industry so is no novice in the field.

It's no good talking about becoming a world-leading regional airport with fancy infrastructure if the basic requirements for processing passengers efficiently are not being achieved.

* that's how Janis Kong styles herself

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/absolute-shambles-chaos-bristol-airport-1659117

Bristol Post now highlighting the baggage handling problems. In their usual way they have trawled social media sites and repeated comments on those. There has been no attempt to engage in proper journalism and actually interview people as journalists used to do. They merely say at the end of the piece that they have asked Bristol Airport and Swissport for comments.

Nevertheless, we already know there are serious problems at BRS with baggage handling, and with overseas industrial action throwing schedules out of the window aircraft seem to be more and more arriving at unscheduled times which presumably puts more pressure on an already straining system.

It's not a new phenomenon at BRS but things certainly appear to be worsening. Although the responsibility lies with the airlines who choose to contract the handling companies, most people blame the airport. I believe it's about time the senior figure at the airport - currently the airport company chairman* who I believe has been covering CEO duties since Robert Sinclair left - told the public what the problems are. She has considerable experience of the aviation and travel industry so is no novice in the field.

It's no good talking about becoming a world-leading regional airport with fancy infrastructure if the basic requirements for processing passengers efficiently are not being achieved.

I have been replying to comments on Twitter from disgruntled passengers telling them the process and advising them to complain to their airlines who at the end of the day responsible for the ground handling contracts. Airlines should be if not already getting to grip with the poor performance at BRS.

If ppl are complaining to the airport with baggage problems makes you wonder if the airport is passing on these complaints to serviceair or airlines.Has the airport got a designated person to follow up these complaints and make sure the right person has them. Every time there is a problem its always the airport that gets the stick about problems.If the airport has no such person then its about time they did to make sure complaints go to the right person and follow the complaint to make sure things are sorted.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-airport-swissport-easyjet-tui-1660574

BRS and Swissport are blaming the situation entirely on the French industrial action that led to many delayed flights. Probably paid a part but it doesn't answer the long term problem of insufficient handlers at the airport at times. It's not as if the congestion on Saturday evening was a one-off.

kraktoa had already highlighted recent problems with incoming baggage in #830 in this thread nearly two weeks ago.

So many experts so little knowledge!!
Just about every unit at BRS has taken on extra staff for the summer and just about every unit has encountered problems getting airside passes.
The handling agents are no different. They have 6-10 crews of 4 staff for arriving aircraft depending how busy it is due to be. If a problem is foreseen this can be increased to more crews by reducing a team to 3. In the event of delays being excessive the crew has to move on to their next assigned aircraft. They simply do not sit around playing cards or drinking coffee. When the delayed aircraft then arrives it has to wait for a crew to be available. It is easy to go on Twatter or Fakebook and rant and rave but it is simple economics not rocket science!! Unfortunately social media and mobile phones with cameras have exacerbated the problems because whereas the crews could slide cases along flatbed trucks airlines now demand they use covered trailers. This means that putting 100 cases on a truck now means putting less on a trailer which means every time the trailer is full everything has to stop to pull the thing forward to load the next truck. All time consuming!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock