Advertisement

Infrastructure, Construction & Developments

Advertisement

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #962
Procurement for the new HS2 station will begin in the new year. The article below gives a little more detail about the automated people mover.

The APM will connect HS2 to the NEC, the International Station and the airport and will take six minutes end to end with a three minute maximum wait time. It will have a capacity of around 3,900 people per hour in each direction, upgradable to 6,000 by “simply changing the carriages” in a future upgrade.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...rnational-set-for-early-2019/10037253.article

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #965
Historic terminal building in line for upgrade as Atkins appointed to Birmingham Airport job

£500m scheme will include revamping 1930s Art Deco landmark

Atkins has been appointed to project manage a £500m upgrade of Birmingham Airport which will include bringing back into use an Art Deco gem at the site.

The firm will oversee work to extend the airport’s terminals and reconfigure the airfield by 2033.

Among the proposals for the next 15 years is a plan to refurbish the airport’s first terminal building and turn it into an accommodation and training centre for airport staff.

https://www.building.co.uk/news/his...ted-to-birmingham-airport-job/5098421.article

JENNYJET

Premium Member Plus
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
A visitor centre would be nice for aspiring spotters. When I was little going to the little shop to get aircraft postcards and the cafeteria to drink pop and watch the planes being serviced in the comfort of indoors was my weekend treat and bagging a seat with a little telly was the best. Set me up for a lifetime interest in aviation.

The original terminal is ideal if not to be used for passenger purposes. Open a terrace upstairs for photography and ATC feed. A modest entry charge to cover costs.

Creguk

Oct 31, 2016
Sutton Coldfield
I remember trying so hard to sit on the sides of the viewing area! The counter tops were so high! There was a disabled area with raised floor that helped me as a small kid. And I always remember that Jimbo the jet-set ride that would constantly churn out the same song.

rollo

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2014
I thnk JENNY JET is referring to the original Elmdon terminal as I well remember the cafe, shop and of course the steps etc going back in my case to the1960s.

JENNYJET

Premium Member Plus
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
Yes Rollo, the spiral steps outside offered a limited view but was an excellent position to take photos of the giants from Canada. All before the current terminals were constructed. There was another shop a little up the road selling airband radio stuff at the back of the hangars, wondering if they gone now. All this with the Art Deco terminal as the centrepiece of my free/wagging it time!! School hours were so inconvenient!

Seasider

Premium Member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 16, 2009
East Coast
Yes Rollo, the spiral steps outside offered a limited view but was an excellent position to take photos of the giants from Canada. All before the current terminals were constructed. There was another shop a little up the road selling airband radio stuff at the back of the hangars, wondering if they gone now. All this with the Art Deco terminal as the centrepiece of my free/wagging it time!! School hours were so inconvenient!
Swinburne Aviation?

Advertisement

Top Bottom