Are all being removed, stand 15 already lifted off by crane, this stand will now be A320 size

I understand that it is to make more ramp space on South terminal as well as the fact they are no longer used !

Rumour has it that Easy, Blue Air & CSA maybe moving accross from TI another rumour is FlyBe are moving out and Jet2 maybe moving in !

Time will tell !

jet2 won't be coming down t2, it is to allow front steps on the a319 for when Czech and possibly Easyjet start on May 1st

I disagree JFY. Upstairs is a pleasant experience, but downstairs is a complete joke.
The border has no electronic gates and only 4 manned gates, of which only 2 are ever manned, leading to queues almost out to the ramp at busy times.

That is before the 2 international and 1 domestic carousel(s)

A great impression of the city to incoming tourists, businessmen and potential investors!

This does not make sense in the long term and just shows a lack of ambition.

A new loco terminal should be built. The old Eurohub retained with the airbridges albeit massively refurbished throughout.

The T2 jet bridges are well past the end of their working life and beyond economical repair. I think that most haven't been used for quite a few years.

It's a sign of the times I guess where most airlines just don't want them, if removing the jet bridge allows larger aircraft to use the stands then it seems a good move.

A new loco terminal does seem the logical next step but I imagine the business case would need to be quite solid before they spend that kind if money.

The T2 jet bridges are well past the end of their working life and beyond economical repair. I think that most haven't been used for quite a few years.

It's a sign of the times I guess where most airlines just don't want them, if removing the jet bridge allows larger aircraft to use the stands then it seems a good move.

A new loco terminal does seem the logical next step but I imagine the business case would need to be quite solid before they spend that kind if money.

It does sound rather like a loco operation without the bridges. Bridges do add class and protection for passengers.

If the bridges are going then at least get some steps with covers on them. They keep passengers dry and reduce the wind inside the aircraft when the doors are open.

Whilst not totally off the table it seems that 'a new terminal will not be required in our lifetime'. Instead the focus will be developing the current site to handle up to 35mppa.

To me it seems as if a massive opportunity is being missed but I suppose if the money isn't there then it isn't there. It says that it's not clear whether the airport have decided to safeguard the land around the station. I really hope that they do.

It's going to be interesting to see what plans they have in store for the current site. I've seen proposals for a departure lounge extension which fills the gap between the pier, also a potential walkway parallel with the railway line has been discussed on here. They seem to be very short term solutions and much, much more will be needed.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...building-not-in-our-lifetime/10030406.article

Whilst not totally off the table it seems that 'a new terminal will not be required in our lifetime'. Instead the focus will be developing the current site to handle up to 35mppa.

To me it seems as if a massive opportunity is being missed but I suppose if the money isn't there then it isn't there. It says that it's not clear whether the airport have decided to safeguard the land around the station. I really hope that they do.

It's going to be interesting to see what plans they have in store for the current site. I've seen proposals for a departure lounge extension which fills the gap between the pier, also a potential walkway parallel with the railway line has been discussed on here. They seem to be very short term solutions and much, much more will be needed.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...building-not-in-our-lifetime/10030406.article

Who exactly is this Huw Rhys Lewis and the 'Urban Growth Company'? I've never heard of either of them before...

Very concerning that whoever he is believes that BHX can handle potentially up to 45mppa using the current terminal. Even adding a new pier to the west and east of the current terminal and filling in the gap between the current lounge and the pier wouldn't be able to handle more than 25mppa I would have thought - and even then it would be very crowded.

The article did state that the master plan would be published this summer. I'm getting the feeling this will be something more for us to worry about than look forward to...

Who exactly is this Huw Rhys Lewis and the 'Urban Growth Company'? I've never heard of either of them before...

Very concerning that whoever he is believes that BHX can handle potentially up to 45mppa using the current terminal. Even adding a new pier to the west and east of the current terminal and filling in the gap between the current lounge and the pier wouldn't be able to handle more than 25mppa I would have thought - and even then it would be very crowded.

The article did state that the master plan would be published this summer. I'm getting the feeling this will be something more for us to worry about than look forward to...
He is the managing director of the company delivering UK Hub Central.

I dont agree with his analysis. I undertsnad that the current capacity of the airport is 18 mppa. An increase to 35 mpps will necessitate considerable expansion. I think the point he is making is that the expansion is not going to take place near the HS2 station, which holds true if you look at the company's most recent plans. Those plans also rule out a second runway, which to be honest is not needed unless we are going for 50 mppa. Gatwick 1 runway and 45 mppa. Stansted has just applied for planning permission to increase to 43 mppa on one runway.

The airport should focus on maximising the use of the site it has or be really radical and move to a brand new airport! :pics:

How many passengers can be handled with 1 runway is very difficult to quantify
as it depends on aircraft size, mix etc as that is why Manchester needs 2 because there is such
a mix varying from Dash 8 to A380 and a very big is the taxiway layout with lots of hi-speed
exits plus of course the airspace, Manchester has a big problem on westerlies with Mobberley
which has the big jink round it.

Even adding a new pier to the west and east of the current terminal and filling in the gap between the current lounge and the pier wouldn't be able to handle more than 25mppa I would have thought - and even then it would be very crowded.

I agree. Last year BHX saw 13 million passengers and we all know how the current set up coped, some of the stories were horrendous. Adding bits a pieces here and there may allow for a couple more million but I can see the misery continuing. Eventually a new terminal will be required along with major investment in the current buildings.

I guess there is the option of building to the south on what is now a car park or even a new terminal on the Elmdon site. It will be interesting to see what the master plan reveals when it's finally released.

I agree. Last year BHX saw 13 million passengers and we all know how the current set up coped, some of the stories were horrendous. Adding bits a pieces here and there may allow for a couple more million but I can see the misery continuing. Eventually a new terminal will be required along with major investment in the current buildings.

I guess there is the option of building to the south on what is now a car park or even a new terminal on the Elmdon site. It will be interesting to see what the master plan reveals when it's finally released.
As unfortunate as the loss of multiple airlines/routes has been, at least it's given the terminal infrastructure a bit of a breather :bag:

Hopefully all the current construction will be finished before the pax numbers grow back.

https://solihullobserver.co.uk/news/plans-for-hs2-interchange-station-set-to-go-on-show-in-solihull/

This could well be worth a visit. From previous plans that were published the outline border ( blue/purple colour ) for the airport seems to have reduced somewhat. I had seen plans where Hatchford Brook golf course was within a proposed airport boundary, and also land south of the A45 was allocated for airport car parks. That seems to have gone in this proposal. If the airport boundary in this diagram is what we will end up with, there is hardly any room for expansion at all. It also seems that Solihull Council are the biggest driver behind this now, and I don't think they are or ever have been particularly supportive of airport expansion. The more I see on this, i do fear the airport is going to miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity. Hopefully the Master plan when published will answer those questions. I think in general, Andy Street has done a great job for the region since being elected,but he never ever mentions the airport when discussing transport which i find really strange. I did tweet him about it once, never got a reply, but never got blocked either, lol

Andy Street has done a great job for the region since being elected,but he never ever mentions the airport when discussing transport which i find really strange.
That's very perceptive of you Otisblue and honestly something i had not noticed. Cycle tracks and Bus lanes and the HS2 Bham bypass but never the airport?

Yep, and trains and trams, which is all great and needed. He has the ear of the government and they obviously want him to do well, as he has secured funding for a number of projects. Ministers and even the PM are quite regular visitors to the Midlands to see the various projects and visit businesses. He keeps on about the Midlands being a global player and surely you want a decent airport to support that. I hope he is pressing for modernisation and expansion of the airport behind the scenes, but if he is, he is certainly not shouting about it via the press or on social media.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock