There have been a lot of discussion on the Glasgow /Edinburgh forums that Prestwick should be closed as there is no need for 3 International Apts.
Well the cop 26 has shown us that we do need a 3rd airport even if it is only kept for special events. Besides the airport is also used by the US and UK military, along with other aviation engineering companies,Plus it has large cargo terminal that is used by Caro Lux and other freighter companies
It may never be a main passenger airport again,but it has other essential requirements that Edi and Gla can’t handle
it is also the home of the coast guard.

My own thoughts is it should stay in the hands of the government.

There have been a lot of discussion on the Glasgow /Edinburgh forums that Prestwick should be closed as there is no need for 3 International Apts.
Well the cop 26 has shown us that we do need a 3rd airport even if it is only kept for special events. Besides the airport is also used by the US and UK military, along with other aviation engineering companies,Plus it has large cargo terminal that is used by Caro Lux and other freighter companies
It may never be a main passenger airport again,but it has other essential requirements that Edi and Gla can’t handle
it is also the home of the coast guard.

My own thoughts is it should stay in the hands of the government.
PIK also has good rail connectivity.

The Scottish government has put Prestwick back on the market.
I wonder how much the Scottish Government hopes to get for Prestwick Airport. It paid nothing for it (ok, a pound if one is being pedantic) and according to this press report the airport has cost the tax payers £43 million to operate. I presume that's the net loss to the public purse.

The government argument will no doubt be that the £43 million helped to preserve jobs and an operational airport is a positive influence on the local economy.

If the private sector does buy PIK it remains to be seen what they would do with it. Is there a real need for both PIK and GLA?

If the private sector does buy PIK it remains to be seen what they would do with it. Is there a real need for both PIK and GLA?
I expect that PIK future is probably more as a general aviation airfield a bit like St Athan. Although it might have some passenger services i doubt it'll ever be that many with Glasgow not too far away.

I expect that PIK future is probably more as a general aviation airfield a bit like St Athan. Although it might have some passenger services i doubt it'll ever be that many with Glasgow not too far away.
Or be like Filton with the airfield turned into a small town?

Scottish Government-owned Glasgow Prestwick Airport, managed by TS Prestwick Holdco Ltd, has reported a steady operating profit for the fiscal year ending 31 March 2023.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock