Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Bmi terminates Jersey route

Bmi has announced that it will terminate its services from London Heathrow Airport to Jersey from March 28. The British carrier has made the decision in response to difficult economic conditions in the aviation industry and reduced customer demand.

Passengers who have already booked flights that depart after the service terminates will be contacted and informed of alternative travel arrangements.

However, the airline's subsidiary bmibaby will continue to offer services to the region from East Midlands Airport, Birmingham International Airport, Cardiff Airport and Manchester Airport. Peter Spencer, bmi Mainline managing director, revealed that the decision had been made with a "heavy heart".

He said: "Despite efforts to modify its efficiency through the introduction of smaller aircraft, we see little prospect of profitability being achieved in the foreseeable future."

Bmi currently operates more than 2,000 flights a week to destinations in Europe, North America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East and central Asia.

http://news.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/2009/01/bmi-terminates-jersey-route.html}Source[/url

Jersey saw a drop of 85% in passengers, that can;t be right..... can it?

I agree, there's a glitch there somewhere. Atms for May are also down over 85%.

In May 2008 Jersey handled over 159,000 passengers and over 119,000 last month.

Furthermore, a check on the CAA domestic route analysis figures for May 2009 shows over 49,000 travelled between Gatwick and Jersey alone, with significant numbers between Jersey and other airports as well, yet the CAA airport stats are showing only 22,560 handled at Jersey in the entire month.

Can't help wondering if any of the other airport figures are also wrong.

• Admin
There seems to be a lot of airports missing off this months provisional figures too.

That's normal.

The CAA stats are issued in batches each month in respect of the previous month.

The first batch usually comes out around the 14th/15th of the month but never includes all UK airports.

Most will be added within a week or so.

The CAA publishes a graph showing its timetable in percentage terms and in March, for example, it took seven weeks to get all the data onto the website, although most of the headline airport and routes figures are usally published by the end of the relevant month.

CAA stats have now been corrected.

In May this year JER handled 139,462 passengers, down 12% on May 2008.

Rolling total stands at 1,522,462, down 4.8% on a year ago.

• Admin
[textarea]New fire engine at Jersey Airport

Jersey airport has taken delivery of a new firefighting vehicle. The 34-tonne Panther foam tender from Austria can carry four firefighters, equipment and 12,500 litres of water.

The model also carries 1500 litres of firefighting foam and reaches 75mph, enabling it to reach any incidents on the airfield within 3 minutes. Firefighters will use the vehicle from September after staff have been trained. It replaces the 15-year-old Gloucester Saro Protector tender.

Source[/textarea]

• Admin
[textarea]Ceremony for Jersey Airport tower

The completion of the latest phase of building Jersey Airport's new air traffic control tower was been marked with a ceremony on Thursday. The traditional topping out ceremony was held to mark the building reaching its full 130ft (40m) height.

The new tower is at the eastern end of the departures hall and will replace the existing tower on top of the arrivals hall. Following completion of the construction stage, due in early November, the tower will be fitted out with its equipment and staff trained before the new tower becomes fully operational by next spring.

Source[/textarea]

• Admin
[textarea]Airport queues caused by staff sickness

STAFF sickness at handling agent Servisair caused the long queues at check-in for Flybe flights at the weekend, the airline has admitted.

The airline has apologised to passengers who were inconvenienced by the queues, which stretched outside the departures building for seven hours.

Flybe had earlier this week blamed the new lay-out in the departures hall, which has just undergone a £4 million redevelopment, for the delays, saying that too much space had been given over to shopping.

However, the airline said yesterday that it had established that only three check-in desks were manned rather than the normal five. A spokesman said that after an urgent meeting with Servisair, the airline had been able to establish that the primary cause of the disruption at the weekend was that five Servisair staff were off sick.

Source[/textarea]

How can a low-cost airline criticize an airport for having too much retail. How else are they supposed to make money?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock