I'm at Cardiff Airport now and it is quite a sad sight to see them parked up knowing they'll never carry passengers again.
Someone suggested on another forum that they should do a series of farewell charter flights. It would be nice if a few airports outside London got to see the 747. It wouldn‘t have surprised me if they had been planning something like that for its retirement, as they did for Concorde.

Unfortunately it’s probably the last thing on the minds of BA management right now.

Someone suggested on another forum that they should do a series of farewell charter flights. It would be nice if a few airports outside London got to see the 747. It wouldn‘t have surprised me if they had been planning something like that for its retirement, as they did for Concorde.
That'd cost money! I suspect that they'll just fly them off to the graveyards.

The statement from BA was written in language that was infinately ambiguous and open to interpretation i.e. no plans and not expecting to etc., I suspect a clamour to persuade BA to keep a few and use the harvested spares to maintain them and I join those wishing to see farewell flights and courtesy visits to regional airports. Would do the brand some good!

Be great but can't see it they were supposed to do some fights last year wasn't it with the 747 special liveries I stand corrected can't remember the specifics? they got cancelled pretty quickly after the announcement. I do think it is sad they can't find a place for a few of the newest one's not to fly till the planned retirement date, they could probably sell the tickets at a premium over the period they kept operating for and make a nice bit of cash on every extra flight.

Yes, similar to the Concorde effect. Special tour flights linking airports willing to forgive landing fees for the good publicity that can follow. I understand that QANTAS have organised the end of B747 in celebratory fashion and this is reflecting the fondness this aircraft has generated, unlike the unceremonious dumping of A380 by most operators. Do not misunderstand, the aircraft will continue as a freighter for many years but sadly airlines seem unwilling to make them earn profit as a people carrier, allegedly!

Heck, even Sir Raymond had a special treat last year on a substitute flight on a B747 and thoroughly enjoyed I understand!

Last edited:
Some of the changes ahead for BA and IAG airlines. One casualty will be the loss of the A318 which operates the LCY-JFK route. The temporary grounding of 4 A380s and up to 6 777s, 18 narrow bodies and the early retirement of 13 narrow body aircraft.
And worse of all the potential of up to 13,000 redundancies.

I saw a headline today that IAG doesn't now expect things to return to pre-COVID usage until 2023.

Temporary grounding of 4 x A380 leaving how many? Whatever the remaining number, hopefully a return to flight soon. I believe BA will miss having the B747 available despite the negative economics associated with the type. I can see BA pulling some out from storage before the scrapping outfits destroy them. Can it be possible the A380 be cheaper to operate than a B747 owned and paid for in full?

All the infrastructure which would support a 747 fleet is going too (training, simulators, etc.). I am afraid the 747 is gone and won’t be returning. At most prior to Covid they were only destined to last until around 2024/5. Which passengers numbers unlikely to reach pre Covid levels until around then, and with new long haul aircraft coming still over the next few years (A350/787/77W) there just is no need for them sadly.

The A380s also operate specific routes where like Hong Kong and LAX where it's capacity negates the need for extra frequency. The 747 did a lot of routes where a 777 or 787 or A350 would be fine on.

This is something that should have not happened, but on the other hand, it should not have been reported

It does baffle how they don't notice their gun is missing? It's not in general a small piece of equipment.

Reported on dried plum Rossiyia are to take 7x 747 aircraft ,the reg G=BGY x. The aircraft will be ex BA frames. Least it looks like they wont be scrapped for the time being.

Last edited:
A sad day Thursday 08 October as the final two B747 leave Heathrow into retirement and without ceremony or public celebration. I can forgive BA much but not the way this aircraft retirement has been handled.

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock