Three new routes from LHR in summer 2016.

Mahon 4 weekly (29 April to 24 September)

Palermo 2 weekly (03 May to 24 September)

Biarritz 2 weekly (01 May to 25 September)

Have a great flight BSL-2km, look forward to reading your BA review on your return.

BA 287 Heathrow to San Francisco, A388 Clubworld,, first reports.... Not impressed really.. Business class seat/cocoon felt small and claustrophobic at times, banged several different body parts during the 10.5hour flight. Seatin pretty much the Same as 747 upper deck, but less private in A380 due to amount of upstairs passengers. An hour late departing, lounges at T5 not great, and second meal horrendous... Glad to be returning home on 744, on Friday. 'Queen of the skies'
That is the report i got just now,, sounds like a typical BA experience to me. I had hoped the A388 was going to elevate the whole experience, but alas , underwhelmed. Will have interior photos when trip is over..

Ok return trip from Basel to San Francisco via heathrow with British Airways Clubworld, just finished.

On reflection the outward leg A319 + A388, was far superior to the return B744 + A319. Delays both ways, with no information. A380 was nothing special but better than the B744 product, which was still dirty from previous passengers, rice on seats and grubby.. Food, inedible on return leg, both meals, no snack offered and indifferent crew.
This is not a business class product.
T5 lounges to be avoided.
3/5 score, as the flights were relatively comfortable.

Next time,, back with Swiss and the new 773 service....

British airways is suffering from lack of attention to detail... Nothing is offered to make the journey that little bit easier, perhaps different or dare i say, special ?
Nothing that would make you choose it again. Business class seats is where the money is at ,on long haul, and you get avery average product with BA. As business travellers expect more, they pay more and get very slightly more...

I'm not one for all the fandangles. All I'm bothered about is the price of the flight and that it gets me from A to B and back to A safely.

Aviador said:
I'm not one for all the fandangles. All I'm bothered about is the price of the flight and that it gets me from A to B and back to A safely.

I hear you Aviador,,,
but when you travel long haul, routinely, these little factors can reallymake a difference.
I think, as modern travellers, we rightly expect to be transported to our destination and back, safely, this should surely be a given.
The Airlines operating with Business and First class customers need to offer that little bit more. There is a huge amount of money to be made on these premium seats, as generally the flight costs are covered by the pax in economy, so the margins in the premium cabins are enormous. So for a carrier like BA to offer such a mundane and average product, is in my view, unacceptable... it does not take much to add a few bonuses for those who pay double, treble or 5 times what an economy passenger pays. It is complacency, and it will cost them dearly.
I know a man, who upgraded from Club class to First class within the last month, LHR-SFO, (think he used a few years of avios points there), he wished that he was back in Business class, he felt abandoned and forgotten by the unattentive cabin crew.. with basically nothing advantageous about the upgrade..
Sorry BA, but not good enough, must do better.

You're absolutely right, if you've paid for extra you deserve a better service, I completely agree in that respect. Having said that I think so far as I am concerned though, as I am a not so frequent flyer, I would have to question if maxing out on premium seats is really worth it for the odd extra free drink, bread roll and some soup.

In reality Business class travel is about a whole lot more than a bread roll or hot towel :D
The real benefits , to the modern business traveller, are less edible. The promise of dedicated check-ins, relaxing lounges with complimentary food and drink, massage and pampering and the extra baggage allowances and lie-flat beds onboard... all add to a way of getting folks to their destination fit and ready for a day's work. The average economy passenger will usually be arriving on pleasure, so time to recover from a cheap and cheerful flight is normally available to them on arrival, taking it easy and sleeping off any tiredness, or lag. The exec traveller has no such 'time benefit' and needs to arrive as fresh as possible, and this is where the airline extras are supposed to allieviate the problems of long haul travel, and hence the extra premium.
Travelling short haul, for example we fly to Dublin on Monday with FR, then surely your point is valid, 1hr45m on the same route with BA clubworld provides the extra bread roll experience,,,, but these are surely two different beasts,, A to B short haul ferrying, and A to Z long haul carrying.

Not sure if this is the right thread but I would be interested to know why British Airways left Britain's second city. I just checked arrivals for the next 24 hours and BA are codesharing on 7 flights, 5 of them to Dublin! Seems that at least a BA Birmingham-Dublin service would work.

Not sure if this is the right thread but I would be interested to know why British Airways left Britain's second city. I just checked arrivals for the next 24 hours and BA are codesharing on 7 flights, 5 of them to Dublin! Seems that at least a BA Birmingham-Dublin service would work.

This has been talked about to death over the years, its the simple fact that BA could not make any money from the regions, it was not just BHX that was effected.

This has been talked about to death over the years

Assuming it isn't one of the 10 Commandments, just because the BA of 10,20,30 years ago couldn't make it work doesn't mean the different people, equipment and attitudes of 2016-2026 couldn't make it work - unless all the new people automatically think "this has been talked about to death over the years..."

It won't happen. They have EI, VY, IB and AA from the region's. The whole point of codesharing is to put their code on a flight to get the benefits without actually operating the route. Why would BA encroach on their partner - EI's - market to DUB other than from their home base? Long haul flights from BHX aren't viable as it is too close to LHR. I wish BA did more from the region's, don't get me wrong, but it just isn't going to happen - not in the near future anyway.

And yes thy could make it work, but they simply don't want to and don't need to.

But does BA have a place at BHX now, the airport itself has moved on and what could BA bring to BHX that it doesnt already have ??? BHX now has a healthy mix of LCC and Full service carriers, im finding it quite hard to see where BA would fit in at the airport.

Assuming it isn't one of the 10 Commandments, just because the BA of 10,20,30 years ago couldn't make it work doesn't mean the different people, equipment and attitudes of 2016-2026 couldn't make it work - unless all the new people automatically think "this has been talked about to death over the years..."

The simple answer is, yes, they could make money from BHX and MAN, but, they can make more money flying the same aircraft out of London.

In the future Vueling have the potential to bring BA of sorts to the regions, albeit through the backdoor of code shares.

BA's business model is hub and spoke, and London based, in an era where people not just in the UK but across the world are moving towards a more point to point solution for their travel requirements.

Other airlines are cottoning on to this, and reaping the rewards. London airways seem rather stuck in the past.
I'm more disappointed that Virgin don't fly from BHX - this sort of challenge is just the sort of opportunity that Branson relishes.

Does anyone know of any other reasonable-sized countries where the national flag carrier airline doesn't operate to the second largest city?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock