Air france doesn't operate long haul flights from any other city other than Paris. There are a couple of metropole flights between cities not including Paris and to Skyteam hubs in Europe but these are generally marked as 'Hop' flights even if they are operated with AF metal.
KL or SN don't operate from the second largest cities in Netherlands and Belgium respectively but KL use Transavia for RTM operations.

There are very few national airlines that don't operate at all to the second largest city but these are usually quite a way away from their 'hub' e.g. Alitalia with FCO and MXP which is very much like BA's operation between LHR and MAN despite AZ operating a few long haul flights from Milan. This could be the reason that Manchester is generally regarded as England's second city whereas Birminghan is England's second largest city.

I don't think BA will offer any flights from BHX unless they fully engage in the regions because their hub is too close to warrant a flight

In terms of BA operating from the 2nd city, they were on record when they retreated to LHR as saying the only regional base that was profitable was BHX. From memory I'm sure they enjoyed considerable success obviously on the German routes but also to Milan which again went on record as being their best performing route from BHX. I always wondered at the time why they didn't turn the niche profitable routes over to Citiflyer. I get from other UK airports they felt they could connect via LHR but BHX they relied on people driving down the M40 rather hopping up the A45.

Unless they stick to long-haul routes could they compete on the European routes out of regional airports against the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet, Norwegian, Jet2, Monarch, Flybe and all the other the other European airlines flying into these airports. Long-haul though is a different matter. There 787's would be the perfect size for BHX EDI NCL GLA and BRS on US routes while there 777's and 747's would be ideal for MAN. The simple fact is though their attitude is if you want to fly BA then get to London otherwise you will fly with our partners.

I agree but I think you can count NCL and BRS off the list. You are spot on however with your description of BA's attitude to anywhere but London in the UK. I can fully believe that unless LHR doesn't get a runway decision for years BA won't be making any appearances with aircraft larger than A321s (763s for EDI) in the region's and to only one destination. It is ridiculous how SQ, PIA, AA, UA, TS offer more destinations from MAN than BRITISH airways, which is coincidentally located in BRITAIN, therefore people are obviously mislead by the name 'British' airways as the thead title rightly highlights with the addition of inverted commas.

That said, I am flying with British Airways tomorrow from MAN-PHL. It was a tough one between the atrocious service and punctuality of AA or transferring through Heathrow (Dublin was too expensive) so I opted for the latter - whether that was the correct move I am about to find out!

Considering they are a One World Airline then it would be reasonable to assume from their One World partners that BA would fly routes like PHL or HKG or JFK or ORD from airports like MAN BHX and EDI. This would free up their aircraft to serve other routes instead of covering routes BA should be doing.
Have a good flight i'm flying to the US west coast at the end of the month using KLM from CWL they are cheaper than LHR and shorter than the DUB flights as we only seem to connections through ORD for the west coast.

Never say never for BA doing the unthinkable. New head of the table may be leading to a new way of thinking. The really big handicap for the BA regional long-haul routes was that they effectively had to "lease" the 767s and 757s from BA LHR at commercial rates and the horrid cost structure associated with it. The biggest irony would be BA operating long-haul out of the regions and codesharing with Flybe when they (a) properly co-ordinate schedules for feeding the regional long-haul and (b) selling regional ops to Flybe, acquire a 15% stake and then dispose of the stake a couple of years ago.

Never say never for BA doing the unthinkable. New head of the table may be leading to a new way of thinking. The really big handicap for the BA regional long-haul routes was that they effectively had to "lease" the 767s and 757s from BA LHR at commercial rates and the horrid cost structure associated with it. The biggest irony would be BA operating long-haul out of the regions and codesharing with Flybe when they (a) properly co-ordinate schedules for feeding the regional long-haul and (b) selling regional ops to Flybe, acquire a 15% stake and then dispose of the stake a couple of years ago.
I wouldn't say never as it can be very unpredictable - let's label it as 'highly unlikely'
Considering they are a One World Airline then it would be reasonable to assume from their One World partners that BA would fly routes like PHL or HKG or JFK or ORD from airports like MAN BHX and EDI. This would free up their aircraft to serve other routes instead of covering routes BA should be doing.
Have a good flight i'm flying to the US west coast at the end of the month using KLM from CWL they are cheaper than LHR and shorter than the DUB flights as we only seem to connections through ORD for the west coast.
Why would BA want to operate PHL, JFK, ORD, HKG when their oneworld counterparts already offer them directly from MAN? Yes they could add a second daily frequency to JFK but I see destinations such as DFW, LAX, MIA, KUL more likely from MAN; for the others PHL or HKG might be a good shout. I really don't think it will happen though.

Would be ironic if Flybe codeshared with BA and VS! Flybe for an airline like BA are the key to turning BHX and MAN into mini-hubs if they desired to do so. The 767s are slowly going they've been flying them into CWL to dispose of them. E cube solutions are scrapping them in St Athan.

I wouldn't say never as it can be very unpredictable - let's label it as 'highly unlikely'

Why would BA want to operate PHL, JFK, ORD, HKG when their oneworld counterparts already offer them directly from MAN? Yes they could add a second daily frequency to JFK but I see destinations such as DFW, LAX, MIA, KUL more likely from MAN; for the others PHL or HKG might be a good shout. I really don't think it will happen though.
Sorry i mean instead of the current carriers. So instead of an American plane it would be a BA and so on.

Return leg of journey currently underway,, just off Greenland according to FR24... BA 284 SFo- LHR 772ER..
Was scanning around and couldn't help noticing the BAW 4 flight from New York to London city in an A318,, i had read about this, but was not sure the aircraft was able, suitable or rated for long hops over the water... Gotta be pretty tight onboard ??View attachment 3961

BAW 4 flight from New York to London city in an A318,, i had read about this, but was not sure the aircraft was able, suitable or rated for long hops over the water... Gotta be pretty tight onboard ??
It's a buisness class flight only. Think the aircraft is configured at 32 buisness class seats.

Basel to San Francisco Return With BA Club World.
So the Bsl to LHR return section is adequate, on time, snack, small Airbus are showing age, looking shabby.
Outbound LHR - SFO, upper deck Club World, pretty good, service is not great but the A388 glosses over many an inadequacy.
Return SFO - LHR , 772LR Club World, basically the same cabin in all aircraft, but the 772 does little in the way of papering over the cracks, noisy, very noisy and then there was the noise. Abject service, meal was rubbish, wine was poor. Damaged suitcase, business lounges dreadful, with exception of SkyLounge Basel, all in all pretty standard mediocre BA.

Again,, these are the views of my wife (so not first onboard review, i just relay the info) :wtf:
She makes this business journey regularly and is a discerning customer.
The A380 is untouchable in her view, quiet and comfortable so you tend to forgive bad service.
Lufthansa getting the nod next time, as sadly British Airways is not delivering a quality product.:depressed:

Thank you for that. Disappointing to read that BA scores so poorly.

I haven't used BA for donkey's years, mainly because I'm not keen on LHR if there is an alternative.

Actually, the last time was to Zurich from LHR on a B 757, and I remember we came back on a Swissair A 310. You can see how long ago that was as Swissair ceased to exist from early this century.

British Airways are to launch 2 new routes in direct competition to Norwegian Air Shuttle.
They will begin LGW to Oakland and LGW to Fort Lauderdale.
Oakland will start on the 28th March and be flown Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday on a 275 3 class 777-200er.
Fort Lauderdale starts on 6th July and will be 3 weekly and go up to 4 weekly during peak summer season. It will be flown on a 3 class 777-200.

It really annoys me why airlines like BA do this when they have no real intention of serving the routes. They'll see off the competition and then they'll make a swift exit.

I don't know i don't think BA will see off Norwegian but i guess we'll see.

I don't think Norwegian will leave what I meant was BA will seek to dilute Norwegian's revinue on routes like Fort Lauderdale making it unprofitable for them.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock