Thread archived by the site administrator
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see a non standard departure off 14 this afternoon, earlier right turn the BA shuttle about 14:40. Anyone know why as no weather issue? Thanks

Nice to see a non standard departure off 14 this afternoon, earlier right turn the BA shuttle about 14:40. Anyone know why as no weather issue? Thanks

Yeah I also saw that BA do the quick right hand turn out from down in Horsforth. It seemed really strange as you rightly point out as the were no bad weather about.

Shuttle 21X at at 19:35 also, loving this non standard departure routing! Come on ATC, why is BA doing it and no one else? (Do not worry not the anti aircraft brigade!)

Possibly a proposed RW14 SID being trialled with BA as the first participant. Just a thought but I seem to remember about two years ago some new SIDs were being talked about (mainly eastbound RW32 departures) which never happened. So it's not beyond possible. I daresay all will become clear.

I think White Heather said it was work in progress with new departure trials so it could be related.

I thought the new sids were to turn right off 32 head towards Harrogate and then turn back over the field and continue en route?

The right turns off 32 were for flights heading East into Europe - not those heading down the west of the country to Spain, France, Canaries etc. which I understood would still turn left.

Both these BA early right turns were off 14 and the one I saw was already banking to the West as it passed over the top end of Horsforth, so a very early right turn. Nothing has been said recently other than this is still a work in progress, and doesn't just impact on LBA. It also includes more rapid rates of ascent and constant rates of descent without the current 'levelling off' at various stages, each of which demands engine power and therefore uses more fuel and adds to the carbon emissions.

I understand a lot of the alternative/strange ATC routings of late have been mostly weather derived. Over the past two to three weeks we've had extreme changes in temperatures don't forget.
A lot of you situated around the Leeds area will note that it's been a case of one day sunny, the next rain (some rain showers have been quite substantial! - I was heading over Baildon/Bingley moor Thursday afternoon last week and it was almost sleeting/hailing and that's not an over exaggeration!). This constant change from day to day obviously causes a lot of stormy weather and it's not actually that uncommon to see aircraft heading in completely the wrong direction during their climb or decent to avoid these clouds and storms.
With the airport being so high up the combination of high winds plays its part and they do actually bring in these clusters of rain/storm clouds quicker than you might think!

I saw a KLM 5pm departure do the sharpest turn from Rwy32 and actually turned over the top of Guiseley and over my house in Baildon to start it's track Easterly to Dam to avoid the impending storm coming from a Northerly direction, something I have not seen before as they normally turn finally just South of Bradford!

A lot of the stormy weather is in fact coming from a Northerly/Easterly direction, or has been, so 32 Departures and 14 arrivals will have been the most affected but interesting to see it's not always the case!
I understand some of the weather systems we're seeing possibly causing these issues have in fact dropped snow in Ireland, so some of my other family over there have told us!

Otherwise all typical April weather in the North.. :hilarious:

Last edited:
The flights that deviated from the normal 14 departure had nothing to do with weather. One was mid afternoon clear sunny skies, the other was early evening again clear skies

Listening on the scanner, Ryanair 2504 inbound from Faro has requested an ambulance on arrival (ready and waiting) hopefully whoever is involved is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock