Two sides to every story...

Thomas Cook bookings 'recovering' in aftermath of terror attacks

Thomas Cook reassures holidaymakers after shares plunge

Tour operator owes nearly £1bn to lenders including 17 banks, and its debt could top £1.5bn by the end of the year.

What's for sure is Thomas Cook has been through an extremely turbulent time over the last few years only just recovering from near collapse.

I do find it odd the airline is still pursuing expensive long haul markets particularly when they are regarded as the most vulnerable to economic fluctuations and oil prices.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36381827

Thomas Cook cabin crew vote to strike

The union members have voted to strike but talks will be held between union, airline and conciliation service Acas to try to find a solution.

For anyone interested:

In peak summer, these are the aircraft bases for TCX:

A320 - 6 Total

LGW - 2 (1 op by SmartLynx Airlines / 1 op by Titan Airways)
MAN - 1 (op by Avion Express)
BHX - 1 (op by SmartLynx Airlines)
NCL - 1 (op by Avion Express)
CWL - 1 (op by Avion Express)

A321 - 24 Total
MAN - 6 (5 + 1 stby) (2 op by Avion Express)
BHX - 3
STN - 3
LGW - 2 (1 op by SmartLynx Airlines)
NCL - 2
BRS - 2
EMA - 2
GLA - 2
BFS - 1

B757-300 - 6 Total
MAN - 3 (1 operated by Condor)
LGW - 3

A330-200 - 9 Total
MAN - 7 (1 op by AirTanker / 1 op by Thomas Cook Scandinavia)
STN - 1 (op by AirTanker)
LGW - 1

A330-300 - 1 Total
STN - 1 (op by Thomas Cook Scandinavia)

-----------------------------------------------------

MAN - 17 (16 + 1 Stby)
1x A320 - (op by Avion Express)
6x A321 (5 + 1 stby) - (2 op by Avion Express)
3x B757-300 - (1 operated by Condor)
7x A330-200 - (1 op by AirTanker / 1 op by Thomas Cook Scandinavia)

LGW - 8

2x A320 - (1 op by SmartLynx Airlines / 1 op by Titan Airways)
2x A321 - (1 op by SmartLynx Airlines)
3x B757-300
1x A330-200

STN - 5
3x A321
1x A330-200 - (op by AirTanker)
1x A330-300 - (op by Thomas Cook Scandinavia)

BHX - 4
1x A320 - (op by SmartLynx Airlines)
3x A321

NCL - 3
2x A321

BRS - 2
2x A321

EMA - 2
2x A321

GLA - 2
2x A321

BFS - 1
1x A321

CWL - 1

(Peak summer is around the English school holidays - outside of this time STN is only a 2x TCX A321 base and GLA is a 3x TCX A321 base. The Thomas Cook Scandinavia A330-300 operates out of primarily GLA, but also BFS and STN and the AirTanker A330-200 operates out of GLA)

From the LBA forum
Balpa announced at Noon that all Thomas Cook pilot strikes have been cancelled, especially tomorrows, good news for passengers after two weeks of bad news.
Talks to start with management to hopefully agree a deal.

Thomas Cook Group Airlines and Transat A.T. sign an agreement to exchange aircraft seasonally

Montreal/London, October 2, 2017 – Transat A.T. inc. and Thomas Cook Group Airlines are pleased to announce the signing of a seven-year agreement for the exchange of aircraft on a seasonal basis. Under the terms of the agreement, Thomas Cook will make available every winter to Air Transat a number of narrow body Airbus A321s and will receive at least one wide-body Airbus A330-200 in return. This will enable both companies to manage and utilise their fleets more efficiently.

The agreement takes advantage of the different seasonality of the two companies: Air Transat uses a greater number of smaller aircraft in winter to serve its destinations in the Caribbean, Mexico and Florida, and larger aircraft in summer to serve the transatlantic market. In contrast, Thomas Cook uses smaller aircraft in summertime to fly to destinations around the Mediterranean Sea and larger wide-body aircraft in the winter to fly to the long-haul destinations like Cuba and the Dominican Republic.

“This agreement marks a new step in the reconfiguration of our fleet,” says Jean-Marc Eustache, President and Chief Executive Officer of Transat. “It allows us to improve our flexible-fleet model, making it even more efficient. Our fleet will eventually consist solely of Airbus A330 and aircraft from the A320 family, such as the A321, which will mean a more harmonized travel experience for our customers as well as lower operating costs,”.

Christoph Debus, Chief Airline Officer, Thomas Cook Group, said: “The new partnership provides additional growth opportunities for our airline, and again demonstrates how Thomas Cook Group is transforming through partnerships. By taking advantage of the complementary seasonal demand in North America and Europe, we will be able to operate additional long-haul flights during winter and better balance the seasonal demand for our short and medium-haul aircraft, resulting in more cost efficiency and choice for our customers.”

I wonder if the airline might end up looking at more City routes and expand more on the continent. Also just operate as Condor.

I've read the Sunday Times article and it states Thomas Cook made £12 million profit on a £9 billion turnover and they are carrying a long term debt of £866million to be serviced which leaves them in an unsustainable position without taking radical action suggesting they may sell all or part of the airline part of the business which has recently been consolidated, but nothing is apparently imminent.
Something to watch

Yes it is. I wonder if IAG or Easyjet would be interested in the airline part. Good presence at Gatwick and Manchester and as well Condor has good presence in Germany as well. I'd imagine that EZY would bin the long haul stuff though or sell it off.

Isn't Condor their German airline? Maybe they created a subsidiary?

Condor is correct, but they set up another airline at Oberusel. I believe the one set up at PMI was Thomas Cook.

Oberusel isn't that far from Frankfurt and doesn't have an airport by the looks of it. Maybe some sort of Brexit back up?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock