Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
[textarea]Thomas Cook launch online check-in

Thomas Cook Airlines has become the first UK charter flights company to launch an internet check-in. Passengers have the choice of using the new service in advance of arriving at the airport or continuing to use the traditional check-in.

Online check-in is now available for outbound Thomas Cook flights from Gatwick, Stansted, Leeds Bradford, Bristol, Belfast and Newcastle. The service, recently voted as the most important aviation innovation of the last decade, is due to be extended to the other UK airports from which Thomas Cook flies in the near future.

Source[/textarea]

I'm not a great fan of on-line check-in but it's good that they are going to give their passengers the option to check-in the traditional way.

I have noticed of late that TCX appear to be opperating the 767's on quite a few of their long haul flights. I know that one of their A330's has been damaged on the ground by a ground vehicle - not sure how badly or where or how long it will be out of service for. Reason I am asking is that I am flying premium with TCX to Cancun soon and woundered what the product was like on the 767 or even if they have it on board just in case it is a 767.

I have flown many a time with TCX and also on their B763's. They seem a nice reliable aircraft, but wasnt keen on the config, they are very dense, think their -300's are configured to 332Y. So not much in the way of legroom, but the seats themselves were comfortable.

And those new winglets in that blue colour, with the TCX globe decalled looks awesome! G-DAJC next...

[textarea]A pilot had to dramatically abort a flight travelling to rescue stranded passengers after reporting an 'intense' smell of volcanic ash and an engine fault.

In dialogue posted on the internet by flight enthusiasts, the pilot of the Boeing 757 heading from Manchester to Crete, alerts air traffic controllers to the problem at 20,000ft after take-off.
The revelation comes as flight training on RAF Typhoon was 'temporarily suspended' today after inspectors found deposits of ash in one of the fleet's engines.

The Boeing 757 pilot said: ‘We got the smell of the ash from about 16,000ft in the climb. It stayed with us even when we were well above flight level 200 [20,000ft].’

A Thomas Cook plane on a rescue mission to return stranded passengers from Crete was turned back on Wednesday after the pilot reported smelling ash Moments later, the pilot says: 'We've lost one of our engine bleeds, possibly through a contaminated valve.'

He is then forced to return the aircraft to Manchester airport after making a detour over the North Sea.
The TCX952P Thomas Cook flight left the UK at 1am with just crew on board.

It was due to head to the Greek Island to rescue passengers stranded due to the Iceland volcano ash cloud chaos.

In the cockpit recordings, the unnamed pilot said: 'We've had the smell of ash in the aircraft and twice one of our enging bleed-airs has failed.

'We're pretty sure it's volcanic ash.'

It came on the first day the skies were re-opened and the government admitted it had been 'too cautious' after closing the airways for six days following the eruption of Eyjafjallokull.
When asked by the controller if the situation was an emergency, the pilot responded from the cockpit: 'Negative.

'But I think we may be requesting descent to 350 [35,000ft] when we've got ourselves sorted. We may be requesting further descent if we can't get this thing to pressurise properly."
The flight was then given permission to land at Manchester airport and the captain added: 'In the climb, we could smell the ash.

'The smell stayed on for a while. Once we'd levelled at 39 [39,000ft] we then lost one engine bleed, so we've taken all the required actions for volcanic ash encounter.'

The Boeing landed safely at after the pilot requested an immediate landing.
A spokesman for Thomas Cook denied the flight had been re-routed due to volcanic ash and blamed a 'minor technical fault with its air conditioning'.

She said the aircraft was back in service and had been used this morning for another rescue flight.

'When the Thomas Cook Airlines TCX 952P developed a minor technical fault with its air conditioning, we took the decision to return the aircraft to Manchester as a precautionary measure,' she added.

'The development of the fault categorically had nothing to do with volcanic ash and whilst there were no customers on board, at no point were our crew or the aircraft in any danger.
'The plane is already back in service and joining the many Thomas Cook Airlines rescue flights currently returning stranded passengers to the UK.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0lq8eJX00[/textarea]

• Admin
Interesting especially when the RAF have suspended some of their flights. If these incidents become more frequent I wonder if the CAA and NATS will reconsider their decision to reopen the airspace.

What is worrying is that Pilots, such as this one, go on line making statements that they are 'pretty sure' it is volcanic ash, when in fact, he cannot be sure. Statements like that can cause a lot of panic if publicised. I would be suprised if there is a smell to volcanic ash at 30000 feet, over 1000 miles from the volcano, and I have been in aircraft myself where strange smells have been emitted inside the aircraft.

Thomas Cook are stating it was nothing to do with the ash, and given that all aircraft undergo checks after flights to ensure there has been no ash contact or engine damage, I cannot imagine a company like TCX making statements that are anything other than the correct ones. If this had been ash, there would surely have been clear evidence of this within the engine itself? Either way, Pilots making statements on line which are nothing more than an opinion, are not going to help resolve the current problems.

[textarea]Thomas Cook announce 17 new summer 2011 routes

Thomas Cook has announced 17 new routes from 13 UK airports for next summer. They include new holiday flights from Bournemouth and Southampton airports, plus flights from Belfast City Airport for the first time, to Spain’s Reus.

The routes are: Humberside Airport – Enfhida (Tunisia); Bournemouth Airport – Dalaman, Antalya, Corfu; Southampton Airport – Palma; Doncaster – Antalya; Gatwick Airport – Djerba; Manchester Airport – Djerba; Bristol Airport – Izmir; East Midlands Airport – Hurghada, Funchal; Newcastle Airport – Hurghada; Leeds Bradford Airport – Kos; Glasgow Airport – Hurghada; Exeter Airport – Funchal.

Source[/textarea]

Hi

Thomas Cook Holidays have comfirmed that they have ordered the mass evacuation of all 1,800 customers on holiday in Tunisia today due to the riots that have been taken place this week. Empty aircraft have been sent out to Monastir from 2x Gatwick and 4x Manchester this morning to repatriate UK Tourists.

Thomas Cook to fly home UK tourists after Tunisia riots

Thomas Cook has said it is bringing home all of its UK customers from Tunisia following violent protests that have left at least 23 people dead.

The company has also cancelled its next scheduled departures to Tunisia, which would have taken place on 16 January.

It said it was "strongly advising" the 1,800 tourists from the UK and Ireland currently in the country to take up the offer of return flights on Friday.

First Choice and Thomson said they were not implementing a full repatriation.

But a spokesman said the next departures on 16 January had been cancelled, and the company was "organising aircraft today, for those customers wishing to return home".

'Unpredictable'

On Thursday, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) changed its guidance for Tunisia and is now advising against all but essential travel to the north African country.

"The situation is unpredictable and there is the potential for violence to flare up," its website warns.

First Choice/Thomson
"British nationals in Tunisia should monitor the news or stay in touch with your tour operator."

The FCO says tourists should avoid rallies and demonstrations, and stay inside their accommodation if they are concerned about their safety.

The US and France are also advising against non-essential travel to Tunisia.

Thousands of demonstrators have gathered in the centre of the capital, Tunis, calling for the president, President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali, to leave office immediately.

The action follows weeks of protests across the country over corruption, unemployment levels and high food prices.

'Precaution'

Thomas Cook said its repatriation effort extended to all of its UK customers in Tunisia, including independent travellers with accommodation or flight only.

A spokesman said: "Although there have been no specific problems for our holidaymakers, their well-being is our primary concern so, as a precaution, we've taken the decision to bring them back to the UK as soon as we can, using our fleet of aircraft today."

Protesters are angry at state corruption, unemployment levels and high food prices The tour operator has arranged six repatriation flights from Monastir airport, two returning to London Gatwick and four to Manchester.

It said everyone due to travel on 16 January would be contacted on Friday and would be able to switch their trip to another destination.

A First Choice and Thomson spokesman said: "Presently, the FCO see no need for a full evacuation of customers currently in resort.

"Therefore, at this time, customers may continue their holidays in Tunisia as planned, to return home as scheduled. Our experienced overseas team are updating our customers in resort of the situation and we are organising aircraft today, for those customers wishing to return home.

"Should the situation change, we will of course take immediate action and update customers."

First Choice and Thomson have set a helpline for customers due to travel on 16 January. They should call 0800 009 3834.

Abta, which represents travel agents and tour operators in the UK, said the FCO's guidance meant all customers with package holidays to Tunisia who had not yet travelled would be entitled to make alternative arrangements, rebook for a later date, or get a full refund.

Always something that hinders the aviation industry.

If it's not industrial action, it's volcanic ash or snow/ice airport closures, or the recession, and the prospect of a national oil and petrol tanker drivers strike looms closer with the ballot on industrial action announced today.

TheLocalYokel said:
Always something that hinders the aviation industry.

If it's not industrial action, it's volcanic ash or snow/ice airport closures, or the recession, and the prospect of a national oil and petrol tanker drivers strike looms closer with the ballot on industrial action announced today.

Many of the larger airports will be unaffected by a tanker driver strike. Smaller airports such as BRS, LTN, EMA, LBA could be effected if the strikes go ahead.

With respects to the TCX passengers, I think the company is doing the right thing. The violence flared-up quickly into a dangerous situation. I wouldn't like to caught up in it. The sad thing is it wont be doing the Tunisian tourism industry any good at all and many people will be put off from going there this summer assuming the troubles come to an end soon.

Many of the larger airports will be unaffected by a tanker driver strike. Smaller airports such as BRS, LTN, EMA, LBA could be effected if the strikes go ahead.

It wasn't so much that.

If there is a strike and it is prolonged many passengers, airport staff and aircraft crews will begin to struggle to get to airports if petrol is in short supply. Goods vehicles that deliver all manner of things to airports will also be affected and some inbound business passengers are sure to be put off flying into the country.

They did eventually to keep essential services running but that probably wouldn't extend to ensuring passengers caught their flights to go on holiday.

Let's hope it doesn't come to a strike. That said, there is a lot of potential industrial unrest across the board following the Coalition's policies to try to begin to recover the country's economic situation. I make no comment either way about the policies on this non-political aviation message board.

Hi

Thomas Cook has signed a deal with Airbus to supply 12 new Airbus A321 and plans to Lease a number of Airbus A320's to replace its ageing fleet short haul Boeing 757-200 and Airbus A320's

Thomas Cook Group signs contract for 12 A321s with Sharklets

thomas-cook-a321-200-sl-airbus.jpg

Thomas Cook Group has signed a firm order for 12 Airbus A321s, as a first step of its single aisle fleet harmonization and renewal plan which is based on the A320 Family. The aircraft will be fitted with the latest fuel saving wing-tip devices, known as Sharklets.

The new aircraft are scheduled to be delivered from 2014, together with options to purchase further A320 family aircraft from 2015.

In addition to the firm order, Thomas Cook Group plans to lease A320 Family aircraft from operating lessors.

Image: Airbus.
Source: http://blog.seattlepi.com/worldairlinenews/archives/237038.asp

Thomas Cook have posted losses of 165.8m pounds for the six months ending March 31. The airline is reportedly looking at reducing the size of it's fleet next year.

There have been rumours over the past six months or so about possible base closures and I think the latest news that the airline is looking to cut it's fleet size only makes this more likely now. Looking on the Thomas Cook Airlines Wikipedia page, it would seem it's Cardiff and Leeds bases are most at risk as the smaller bases are generally the first to go.

There was talk on the Welsh forum two or three months ago that the CWL TCX base was going to close but the rumour seems to have gone quiet in recent weeks.

Last summer a 321 was based at CWL - this summer it's a 320.

Ash update from Thomas Cook.

Last Updated 23rd May 18:46

TC Airlines have now been advised of an update in relation to the position of the ash cloud tomorrow 24 May.

It is expected that Glasgow airport will be affected in the morning and therefore customers due to depart from Glasgow until approximately 11:00 will be coached down to Manchester for the departure of their flight. Customers should check in as normal at Glasgow. The Ash cloud is expected to move away after this time so is it anticipated that TCX flights due to depart after 11:00 will operate from Glasgow.

All our package holidays are ATOL bonded, which means we'll make sure all our holidaymakers are looked after if delayed in resort and get home safely.

If a holiday is cancelled and holidaymakers are unable to depart, we'll do our best to get them on holiday, but if not their money is safe.

We received excellent customer feedback in 2010, reflecting the hard work of our team in providing welfare and repatriating all of our holidaymakers during the ash cloud

I've heard a rumour that tcx are changing seat pitch of their long haul A330's to 29". Just wondered if anyone new how true this was?

BigMac said:
I've heard a rumour that tcx are changing seat pitch of their long haul A330's to 29". Just wondered if anyone new how true this was?

Here's a quote from another site...

Going to mexico with thomas cook from glasgow in september'got letter informing us that we will have a 29inch seat pitch instead of 31inch seat pitch no tv screens on the back of the seats can live with that the seat pitch i can't.

So it sounds like it's not just the seat pitch that's changing, but the flight entertainment as well. :nea:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock