Unfortunately the worst has happened and been confirmed by the CAA.
Thoughts with everyone who has lost their job :(

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/Thomas-Cook-flying-programme/
UK Civil Aviation Authority launches flying programme to bring home Thomas Cook customers
  • Thomas Cook has ceased trading so all Thomas Cook flights are now cancelled
  • Customers in the UK yet to travel must not go to the airport
  • UK Civil Aviation Authority to launch biggest ever peacetime repatriation
  • Customers currently overseas should check thomascook.caa.co.uk for advice and only go to the airport once they have an alternative flight confirmed
  • 24-hour helpline: 0300 303 2800 from the UK and Ireland and +44 1753 330 330 from overseas
Thomas Cook Group, including the UK tour operator and airline, has ceased trading with immediate effect. All Thomas Cook bookings, including flights and holidays, have now been cancelled. There are currently more than 150,000 Thomas Cook customers abroad, almost twice the number that were repatriated following the failure of Monarch.

We know that a company with such long-standing history ceasing trading will be very distressing for its customers and employees and our thoughts are with everyone affected by this news.

The Government has asked the UK Civil Aviation Authority to launch a repatriation programme over the next two weeks, from Monday 23 September to Sunday 6 October, to bring Thomas Cook customers back to the UK. Due to the unprecedented number of UK customers currently overseas who are affected by the situation, the Civil Aviation Authority has secured a fleet of aircraft from around the world to bring passengers back to the UK with return flights.

The repatriation programme is going to last two weeks.

Some of the aircraft TCX was leasing from Avion Express and SmartLynx are being operated in the repatriation process. These aircraft are in full TCX colours.

I know that you are interested in keeping track of the repatriation flights, maybe the link below will be of assistance?

From listening to the radio yesterday whilst at Manchester it would appear that whilst the Smartlynx aircraft are using Titan (AWD) flight numbers they were using a callsign that sounded like CAMBER - has anyone heard this?

So does anybody have any idea how many passengers each airport stands to lose after the collapse of Thomas Cook?

Figures for Manchester, based on the ACL reports for S19 and W19/20 give an indication of what - in worst case scenario - might happen. Obviously S19 is nearly over and the winter period will be the one most seriously affected. Hopefully S20 will feel less of the pain as other carriers replace some of the missing capacity.

S19 ATM 10,097
S19 Seats 2,441,653
W19/20 ATM 3,640
W19/20 Seats 905,041

Total ATM 13,737
Total Seats 3,346,694

Fortunately it seems that the Scandinavian airline will live on for the time being.

So does anybody have any idea how many passengers each airport stands to lose after the collapse of Thomas Cook?
This chart shows one-way traffic.

EFIuK_lW4AA7V_N.jpg:large

I reckon that BRS had about half a million Thomas Cook passengers a year, about 6% of the airport's current total passenger throughout. It looks as though existing airlines such as easyJet, TUI and Ryanair (probably to a lesser degree) would have been the likely salvors but they are probably not in a position to do much even if they wanted to, and anyway they would not have been likely to have replaced anything like the total number of TCX passengers.

An airline such as Jet2 has plenty of options at its existing bases so help from that quarter is not anticipated.

Listening to the Transport Secretary statement to the house of commons earlier on 5live and interestingly when explaining why the government didn't bail them out he never mentioned the rescue package that Thomas Cook had negotiated. It was also mentioned that the Thomas Cook board had had 5 offers for the airline that they had turned down.

The Shadow transport secretary accused the government of letting Thomas Cook go bust. It was noted that both the Scandinavian arm and the German arm were given bailouts by their respective governments and that the CEO of Thomas Cook group has now gone straight to Condor and although I didn't hear the reply the transport secretary was asked why the UK government wasn't willing to at least look at a joint investment with the Spanish and Turkish governments who were apparently interested in the idea.

The transport secretary did give his praise to the CAA and Thomas Cook workers helping with the repatriation and said that the government will look at bringing in primary legislation to change the way airlines go into administration and liquidation to most likely a wind down model.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock