This is beyond speculation, just late night conspiracy theory. As a franchise partner to BE it may be possible that Eastern have some insight to discussions between the UK gov and BE?
Would this move before the march budget be foreshadowing a possible relaxation of APD on domestic flights between airports below X-pax pa? :unsure:

Almost certainly illegal* under EU state aid rules which the UK has agreed to abide by during the transition period which is due to terminate at the end of this year.

Member states must not vary national tax rates in a way that is more favourable to individual regions, so such a move would have to wait until after the transition period.

Tax powers including APD can be devolved to a regional authority in an EU state (the UK in our case) that is deemed institutionally autonomous, procedurally autonomous and economically autonomous. Wales, like Scotland and Northern Ireland, fit that bill as regional authorities within an EU state, thus Wales could have varied its own APD rates compared with England's had it had APD powers devolved.

It would be highly unlikely to the point of being discounted that any government would give one company prior notice or even a hint of its future taxation plans. It would be political suicide for any chancellor and might even lead to criminal charges if it became known.

* unless the UK government chances its arm and takes that path in the knowledge that if the European Commission declares it illegal, which it almpost certainly would, the UK will be out of the EU by the end of the year. That sort of cavalier action could impact on the leaving negotiations though and rebound on the UK.

Good to see a new route but I find it odd that Newcastle is just 1 weekly.
It would be surprising to me if Flybe took over the rest of the route especially now that the base has closed.

Good to see a new route but I find it odd that Newcastle is just 1 weekly.
It would be surprising to me if Flybe took over the rest of the route especially now that the base has closed.
With the new MME routes to various UK airports announced today it does sound as if the CWL switch is part of that. Perhaps it's also part of the ending of Eastern's Flybe franchise which might be around the corner. If Flybe operated CWL-NCL would they not to an extent be competing against their own franchised flights from CWL to MME if the Eastern franchise remained in place?

Without some way of bringing down fares I can't see that CWL-MME P2P would work. I think it was Eastern that tried BRS-MME probably 15 years ago which ended in tears very quickly as it just wasn't viable, although they were up against easyJet's BRS-NCL.

The airport has now put out a press release about the new route but it looks like an Eastern Airways one about the whole Teeside operation rather than a one from the Cardiff press team.
Without some way of bringing down fares I can't see that CWL-MME P2P would work. I think it was Eastern that tried BRS-MME probably 15 years ago which ended in tears very quickly as it just wasn't viable, although they were up against easyJet's BRS-NCL.
Pretty sure it won't, the load factor on my flight in March will be curious. I just think this just a cheaper way of using the aircraft for Eastern as no doubt they have a good deal from the MME side.
It does create a headache now for the airport to get a replacement on the NCL route.

Bonkers decision in my opinion
Not if you look at the CWL-NCL flight as just a positioning flight for the VLY route. Sadly that's all it became to them. Without VLY I'm thinking that they may have dropped Newcastle altogether a while ago.

Well Eastern must feel it's more be beneficial to them to shift it. I'd imagine that fees will be lower and there'll be some sort of incentive.

My take on it is they are utilising the CWL aircraft for MME-ABZ, with the addition of CWL-ABZ passengers. They are obviously making more money out of ABZ than CWL-NCL, whilst not having an aircraft sat around all day in between VLY runs.

According to a poster on prunne these are the times for CWL-MME.
MME-CWL 10.15-11.35
CWL-MME 12.15-13.35
Also looking at the times with ABZ I can't see where it fits in with ABZ so unless that goes direct it maybe that CWL loses ABZ again.

What a bizarre press release that actually has very little to do with CWL and could even be misleading people in to thinking the routes are from CWL or theres onward connections via MME. Poor show by CWL there.

I have to say, it doesn't make very good reading so far as Cardiff is concerned. I suppose they want to be seen as being proactive in supporting Eastern Airways in their decision.

Flybe website still showing as CWL-ABN, at 10.20am, with1 stop at MME, I think the person on dried plum has made a mistake, the flight leaving MME is to ABN not CWL at 12.15hrs.

Flybe website still showing as CWL-ABN, at 10.20am, with1 stop at MME, I think the person on dried plum has made a mistake, the flight leaving MME is to ABN not CWL at 12.15hrs.
The person's reference is a timetable put out by Eastern and Teeside airport yet i can barely make it out but there is above it an aircraft plan that seems to contradict it and doesn't have a return from ABZ only a departure so who knows what will happen!

Jerry I took the timings from the Flybe website because I don't think Eastern have their own booking engine, I take it that your boking is still showing Aberdeen with one stop at MME, if so that would be the same as Flybe website.

Jerry I took the timings from the Flybe website because I don't think Eastern have their own booking engine, I take it that your boking is still showing Aberdeen with one stop at MME, if so that would be the same as Flybe website.
Yep my booking in March is still at the times it was. My feeling now is that maybe someone has got the times the wrong round for the Cardiff flights and that they aren't changing them.

Well today was the first day of the new Teeside route. It'll be curious to see how it fares passenger wise to Newcastle and if anyone of course picks the Newcastle route up.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock