White Heather

Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
#mPlay have pulled slots from MAN & BHX so I guess no UK expansion inc LBA
How does pulling slots at MAN and BHX translate into no UK expansion including LBA, unless they have pulled the LBA slots too? Have they?

My understanding was that they applied for slots at several airports but would only start ops (in 2023) from one when they had additional Airbus aircraft delivered, and the crews recruited to fly them. That one airport could be LBA if the slots are intact. If not, then you may be correct.

LBA themselves have said several new carriers are wanting to operate from here, but it was more likely to be 2024 before it happened. Airbus are struggling to deliver orders on schedule, and that might be delaying Play's expansion programme. #Play

Starflyer

Jun 10, 2014
Play have also pulled their slot notification for LBA for the summer. Confirming the above, MAN and BHX have also gone - it looks like they have concentrated the growth capacity they have into Denmark on the one hand and Toronto Hamilton on the transatlantic side of the equation. They also have the not-insignificant challenge on their plate of needing to reach year-round profitability.

I suspect LBA will happen for them some day, but doesn't look like that will be in 2023.
#Play #Transatlantic

A400

Aug 27, 2021
Leeds
The point being made though that just because they pulled slots from the main airports doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t expand at other airports.

I think it’s been mentioned on here before any new operators we get would be likely to operate in 2024 not 23.

Finger66

Aug 21, 2015
South Leeds
Play have also pulled their slot notification for LBA for the summer. Confirming the above, MAN and BHX have also gone - it looks like they have concentrated the growth capacity they have into Denmark on the one hand and Toronto Hamilton on the transatlantic side of the equation. They also have the not-insignificant challenge on their plate of needing to reach year-round profitability.

I suspect LBA will happen for them some day, but doesn't look like that will be in 2023.
#Play #Transatlantic
Sounds like this was never really going to happen and was all just a bit of Play-acting!!

Starflyer

Jun 10, 2014
Sounds like this was never really going to happen and was all just a bit of Play-acting!!
They were looking actively at additional UK destinations as recently as early December and LBA was firmly in that mix. Something has since diverted that focus to Denmark - perhaps fears around the UK exchange rate for outgoing visitors to the USA or around the health of the UK economy, but I'm speculating as to why the change of direction.

White Heather

Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
They were looking actively at additional UK destinations as recently as early December and LBA was firmly in that mix. Something has since diverted that focus to Denmark - perhaps fears around the UK exchange rate for outgoing visitors to the USA or around the health of the UK economy, but I'm speculating as to why the change of direction.
Or Denmark was always the priority, and the UK has been put on ice due to delays in delivery if their additional aircraft from Airbus?

Starflyer

Jun 10, 2014
Or Denmark was always the priority, and the UK has been put on ice due to delays in delivery if their additional aircraft from Airbus?
Anything is possible, but I genuinely don't think this was the case. They hadn't applied for slots at the Danish airports in the initial slot round and I can't see that this was their original plan. It looks to be that something shifted their focus from the UK to Denmark - not just away from LBA, but much more generally - and I am guessing (and it is a guess) that it's the UK's macro-economic outlook.

LBA was certainly under serious consideration by the airline - and without reporting private conversations, the source of that information could not possibly be any more credible.

White Heather

Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
Anything is possible, but I genuinely don't think this was the case. They hadn't applied for slots at the Danish airports in the initial slot round and I can't see that this was their original plan. It looks to be that something shifted their focus from the UK to Denmark - not just away from LBA, but much more generally - and I am guessing (and it is a guess) that it's the UK's macro-economic outlook.

LBA was certainly under serious consideration by the airline - and without reporting private conversations, the source of that information could not possibly be any more credible.
Well let's hope the focus does shift back to the UK and LBA in 2024, which would tie in with the comments made by LBA management.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.