Advertisement

Route Development

Oct 10, 2018
Farsley
Still doesn't rule out a HOP connection though. Aircraft size may be more suited for LBA. Just had a negative thought though. If KLM mainline are to come to LBA to replace Cityhopper could this be the main airline to a hub airport?
It may well be however I don't believe LBA management would describe it as a "new airline" instead off "existing airline".

Advertisement

Oct 10, 2018
Farsley
I tend to agree that Brussels is still a good route and could do well if the aircraft was suited to the carriage of interlining passengers and their luggage, so I also agree that Brussels Airlines is probably the only one that could really make it work, although I would be very happy to be proved wrong. Paris is another good option. The Jet2 offering on the route is totally inadequate, but, if we are talking about interlining to such as the French Caribbean, many of these flights operate out of Orly, rather than CDG. In fact my sister, who owns a home in Guadaloupe (close to where Death in Paradise is filmed) has just flown out there today, out of Orly. So a flight to CDG in competition with Jet2 would be of limited use. For me, Madrid or Lisbon would make a lot of sense, especially Madrid given it's interlining options to South America and internal flights within Spain. Iberia Express perhaps? I wish LBA and the airline would make their announcement as I hate having to wait to find out. I never did have much patience.
I hate waiting Heather!! I have noticed recently the airlines page has been updated on the LBA website (adding TCX/TUI leases). This may be preparation for the new airline, or am I just dreaming!

Finger66

Aug 21, 2015
South Leeds
It may well be however I don't believe LBA management would describe it as a "new airline" instead off "existing airline".
It really depends on the "spin" you want to put on this announcement. I do tend to agree with you though as this doesn't really seem to be style of current management. I think it will be someone new in this announcement and then bmir for the base - which can of course park on the smaller stands

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
Just for information regarding the awaited announcements re new routes/airlines, about 10 days ago I wrote to LBA to ask when an announcement might be made. Today I got a reply from Chris Sanders, Aviation Development Director (via the airport secretary to whom I had written). Basically the situation is as I mentioned previously. LBA are not yet in a position to make an announcement as they continue their discussions with the airline(s), but Chris says he is hopeful of a positive outcome and that an announcement will be made within the next 4 weeks.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
I suspect it's more around diligence until such time as all parties are ready to announce it. As an employee of any organisation there is nothing worse than finding out something about your business expansion or changes from a 3rd party
I would agree with that. It isn't just about doing a deal, it is the timings of flights, days of operation for routes, and for the airline, arranging handling agents and sorting a contract with them, and ensuring that once announced they are ready to load flights onto their website and go on sale. Not much point in announcing something and then telling readers that they should watch out for the flights going on sale at some point in the future. They need to go on sale as soon as the announcement is made ideally to take advantage of the interest the announcement creates.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Moderator #1,190
Least it won't break the record as for awaiting official announcement. I think British Airways hold that record for the Heathrow route, which was around 4-5 months if I remember correctly.

The first sign of anything happening was when IAG published its annual financial report, which was way before any contracts had being discussed between British Airways and the then airports owners Bridgepoint Capital.

whoshotjimmi

Nov 21, 2010
Leeds
If the airport doesn't want to raise expectation of announcements, why is the information released to the consultative committee? Or, if it is an obligation of the airport to do so, why is there not some sort of an agreement that the information is not made public? That way there is no disappointment if the expected negotiations don't come to fruition. Furthermore, I would have thought that if that information was made available in the way that it has been done, there would be an expectation that it would happen.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
If the airport doesn't want to raise expectation of announcements, why is the information released to the consultative committee? Or, if it is an obligation of the airport to do so, why is there not some sort of an agreement that the information is not made public? That way there is no disappointment if the expected negotiations don't come to fruition. Furthermore, I would have thought that if that information was made available in the way that it has been done, there would be an expectation that it would happen.
The expectation is that it will happen. Nothing has been said to suggest it won't. (Except on this thread).

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #1,196
To be honest @whoshotjimmi I'm pleased the airport is more forthcoming with information, even if nothing comes to fruition. We've become too acustom to secretisnm from the previous management with just about everything being thrown into the "comercial in confidence" corner. In this instance they have told us as much as they are able at this point. Transparency was something Bridgepoint definitely lacked.

Oct 10, 2018
Farsley
To be honest @whoshotjimmi I'm pleased the airport is more forthcoming with information, even if nothing comes to fruition. We've become too acustom to secretisnm from the previous management with just about everything being thrown into the "comercial in confidence" corner. In this instance they have told us as much as they are able at this point. Transparency was something Bridgepoint definitely lacked.
They lacked a lot to be honest, but thats just my opinion...

oldendays

Sep 19, 2009
We already need the new stands, regardless of what happens in the future. Jet2 routinely have at least one, often two, aircraft parked overnight at the end of Alpha or the middle of November. Stand 21C blocks 21B and 20B blocks 20A. It's a farce that's long overdue for rectifying.

Advertisement

Top Bottom