Route Development

Ap1995

Feb 27, 2011
SeanM reported on twitter yesterday 2 new destinations along side the ones already announced (LGW, LTN & MAN) so we could be in line, lets wait to see if 2 more routes get announced.

White Heather

Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
SeanM reported on twitter yesterday 2 new destinations along side the ones already announced (LGW, LTN & MAN) so we could be in line, lets wait to see if 2 more routes get announced.
When this airline were asking UK airports to bid for their presence, I notified LBA of their request (which was published at the time) and got an acknowledgement, so they were very much aware of this opportunity. They have been after scheduled services to Turkey for ages, so I hope they made an effort - but ultimately cost will be key, and yet again, will this airline look at a map and think LBA is too close to MAN to bother. That night well apply at LPL too. NCL might be a good bet.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Everytime that argument crops up I just think of how close Edinburgh and Glasgow airports are and also closer to home Liverpool and Manchester airports. I don't believe it has a huge impact on European flights. It might with inter continental flights but even in this case both Edinburgh and Glasgow airports perform reasonably well.

Ap1995

Feb 27, 2011
From what ive seen on social media posts, it looks like the NCL team and MME team flew to Milan via AMS presuming from their individual airports as the wing pictures posted was KLM, from what ive seen from the LBA team, it was a FR plane suggesting they flew from MAN direct, couldn't they have supported our own services and flown VIA AMS?

HX3

Aug 14, 2020
Halifax
I’m hoping that LBA have a chance with this, but my gut feeling is that due to Sun Express being a joint venture of Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines; I would expect expansion to be one of their bases. I would think EDI and BHX have the best shout based on being bases and reasonable separation to Sun Express current bases. However, I sincerely hope a large untapped market such as LBA can win the day, as I believe their services would prove very popular. Time will tell I suppose.

Ap1995

Feb 27, 2011
the problem with the Turkish scheduled services is that their timings can be really cr*p, getting into DLM / AYT very late then a 2/3 hour transfer on top is not what pax want and sometimes on the returns, early morning departures from AYT/DLM they would have to be up very early for their transfers. there has been a lot of Turkish carriers expansion, so hopefully LBA can manage to get one, instead of the predictable, MAN, LGW, BHX etc..

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
When this airline were asking UK airports to bid for their presence, I notified LBA of their request (which was published at the time) and got an acknowledgement, so they were very much aware of this opportunity. They have been after scheduled services to Turkey for ages, so I hope they made an effort - but ultimately cost will be key, and yet again, will this airline look at a map and think LBA is too close to MAN to bother. That night well apply at LPL too. NCL might be a good bet.
If the airport were on the ball they would have known about this opportunity without having to be told by a lay person (you know what I mean White Heather!)

Flightlevel330

Feb 28, 2020
Leeds
To correct the record AP1995 that it wasn’t just one person who flew to Milan, a large number of the executive team did, from LBA. One team members choice of departure airport, for whatever personal circumstances does not carry any weight. It also wasn’t MAN.

Ap1995

Feb 27, 2011
To correct the record AP1995 that it wasn’t just one person who flew to Milan, a large number of the executive team did, from LBA. One team members choice of departure airport, for whatever personal circumstances does not carry any weight. It also wasn’t MAN.
I stand corrected.. it was just an observation and as I said "suggested it was from MAN", didn't say confirmed. I'm not saying there was any weight or substance behind it. Just seen plenty of posted from other airports Aviation management teams on Linked in posting/promoting that they was attending.

CM.

Apr 29, 2021
Leeds
There is a fair few members on this forum that id like to see running LBA and attending the meetings thats for sure, then we might get somewhere!
I assume that those that have gone to Milan from LBA will be doing their best. I would also expect that if LBA wants to attract new airlines they have to put a good impression on to airlines and to put some good negotiations on to the airlines to tempt them to start flights here. That would also include airlines that already fly here to maybe tempt them (say Ryanair) to expand further and add a few new routes.

Bobby2000

Aug 27, 2021
Leeds
Having a new state of the art terminal and a Parkway station would be a tremendous help.
I don’t disagree with you as such. But we need to stop blaming it on the current terminal.

The new terminal won’t be operational for a few years. In the mean time we can still get new carriers into the airport.

I hope we don’t have to wait until the new terminal is built. It’s been a few years already since we’ve had a new airline. I really hope we can get something soon.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I would love to know how a successful applicant approaches a new airline in the real world. I'm sure just rocking up to a route conference at a fancy hotel wearing a tuxedo is not going to be enough to entice an airline to come to your airport.

I imagine first and foremost, a thoroughly thought-through detailed account of your catchment area and demographics will be the most important thing you can discuss. Handling charges and anything else will come last. Talk of a new terminal will be appealing at that point but not necessarily essential or a deal breaker if you can prove the current terminal facilities aren't going to hinder or delay a new airline operation.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
It would be good to see someone leading the marketing/route development team who is an enthusiast with a genuine interest in aviation and LBA in particular. To many its just another job, and that's not going to get us anywhere!

LBA4EVER

Mar 10, 2018
baildon
www.easydrive-yorkshire.co.uk
It would be good to see someone leading the marketing/route development team who is an enthusiast with a genuine interest in aviation and LBA in particular. To many its just another job, and that's not going to get us anywhere!
First thing id do with any airline management team is show them the area LBA is in, the mass population both the poorer areas but also the wealthy parts as we all like to travel, the economy esp leeds, even a nice little trip around the cc with all the dev might open a few eyes, the sheer amount of leakage thru millions having to travel the dreaded m62 to MAN and also a few examples of airlines past and present that have been mega successful at LBA to prove our airport is a gold mine if given a chance ie jet2, monarch and capital. With our future terminal plans i cant see what would hold airlines back. Im aware this stuff will be covered, i guess the frustration gets to me at times haha

Coathanger16

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Sep 29, 2016
Dorridge
With our future terminal plans i cant see what would hold airlines back.

These days it isn't enough to simply show a particular airline that a route to your airport will be profitable.

Aircraft are a finite resource to an airline, and they may be considering flights to any number of destinations. The airport must prove that launching a route to their airport would be more profitable than launching a route elsewhere.

And it won't always be competing against other airports in the UK, but also potentially dozens of airports across Europe. To get an away based airline to launch a route, the airport almost certainly needs to already be on their radar.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.