Having a management team that looks like it means business will help LBA greatly sadly the DSA management team are still in diapers and seem stuck between developing the airports route network or staying as it is for fear of upsetting the three airlines it currently has. Shame for LBA that PIA left could they be tempted back or is the lure of Manchester and adding capacity at MAN the airlines sole aim

I don't want to labour the Doncaster vs Leeds argument for too long but DSA has a Flybe base (albeit not performing) that LBA missed out on and a large Wizz operation that would have made very good use of the existing capacity at LBA as all of the aircraft are non based and most are late early evening arrivals with later evening departures. That one was allowed to sneak in completely under the noses of the then LBA management and it was a real shame as LBA could well be handling in the region of 5mppa already had that gone their way.

Lastly, DSA has had services to the USA before only for them to be removed. Let's see if it pays off this time. However, it is pointless arguing about the USA flight - the discussion we should be having is why TUI continues to prefer DSA to LBA. With all of that in mind, DSA is OBVIOUSLY taking potential business from LBA so it is not an insignificant point that is being made whenever someone brings up DSA. However, I don't necessarily think the same argument is as strong the other way around - other than TUI and Wizz, whenever an airline has set up at DSA, they have struggled, to the benefit of LBA.

When it comes to the rumours, there can only be a couple of airlines capable of basing aircraft at LBA and I would say they would be the likes of Flybe and BMI. When the current management took over, there was an immediate focus on business connectivity and Flybe and BMI have both codeshared with Brussels Airlines so I would not be surprised to see one of the two.

Regarding the new airline, it is looking more and more likely to be something like Joon. We are running out of options.

I don't want to labour the Doncaster vs Leeds argument for too long but DSA has a Flybe base (albeit not performing) that LBA missed out on and a large Wizz operation that would have made very good use of the existing capacity at LBA as all of the aircraft are non based and most are late early evening arrivals with later evening departures. That one was allowed to sneak in completely under the noses of the then LBA management and it was a real shame as LBA could well be handling in the region of 5mppa already had that gone their way.

Lastly, DSA has had services to the USA before only for them to be removed. Let's see if it pays off this time. However, it is pointless arguing about the USA flight - the discussion we should be having is why TUI continues to prefer DSA to LBA. With all of that in mind, DSA is OBVIOUSLY taking potential business from LBA so it is not an insignificant point that is being made whenever someone brings up DSA. However, I don't necessarily think the same argument is as strong the other way around - other than TUI and Wizz, whenever an airline has set up at DSA, they have struggled, to the benefit of LBA.

When it comes to the rumours, there can only be a couple of airlines capable of basing aircraft at LBA and I would say they would be the likes of Flybe and BMI. When the current management took over, there was an immediate focus on business connectivity and Flybe and BMI have both codeshared with Brussels Airlines so I would not be surprised to see one of the two.

Regarding the new airline, it is looking more and more likely to be something like Joon. We are running out of options.
Did LBA really miss out on Wizz not sure LBA was ever a goer for Wizz?

No, LBA never was a goer for Wizz. The deal relating to Wizz at DSA came on the back of their deal to operate out of LPL, which was also a Peel Holdings airport. The contract, as I understand it, was conditional upon Wizz operating from both airports. I am not sure that Wizz and their ops out of DSA have made much difference over the last year or two, as Ryanair have slowly but surely picked up most of the routes that Wizz operate from DSA out of LBA, which they wouldn't have done if Wizz had been at LBA.

I do wonder, now that LBA's owners also own LTN, home base of TUi in the UK, whether they will use this situation to try and entice TUi to increase their offering out of LBA. Probably not in the near future as they have an ongoing contract to operate from DSA, but when that comes to an end, AMP capital are surely in a better position to influence TUi thinking than any LBA operator before them?

If Sabena had 2 to 3 daily BRU-LBA flights in the 1990s in addition to the 3 to 4 daily BRU-MAN service operating at the same time, it would imply that they they saw little impact on the MAN yield. Quite why we have to question whether any BRU-LBA by a Brussels Airline/flybmi combination will impact their MAN ops now, I don't know. They already have the yield killer at MAN with Ryanair operating 12 weekly to Charleroi.

Going back to the BMI Regional speculation, an interesting development is that they have just signed a code-share agreement with Turkish, which includes flights via Brussels. Now that really would open up some possibilities!!

Do TK also not operate from MUC to IST? Not sure why I picked that route, on top of BRU to IST specifically!!!! Oh and as a bit of an afterthought HAM to IST too? The Germany - Turkey market has historically been quite strong. As Bigman says, some good interline connections. Perhaps TK may take note of the pax connecting LBA to IST, especially with the onward connections they have in IST!

Nothing announced yet. David Laws said the second airline, to have an LBA base, would hopefully be announced late October. It may be that rather than have two separate press announcements for the new airline to a Euro Hub and then the based airline, they may wait and announce both at the same time, with both going on sale immediately for (I presume) summer 2019. Announcing two new airlines and several new routes at the same time would probably attract more attention than just doing one at a time, but who knows? LBA and the new airline will need to have signed their contract first before any announcement is made.

Still doesn't rule out a HOP connection though. Aircraft size may be more suited for LBA. Just had a negative thought though. If KLM mainline are to come to LBA to replace Cityhopper could this be the main airline to a hub airport?

Still doesn't rule out a HOP connection though. Aircraft size may be more suited for LBA. Just had a negative thought though. If KLM mainline are to come to LBA to replace Cityhopper could this be the main airline to a hub airport?

It may well be however I don't believe LBA management would describe it as a "new airline" instead off "existing airline".

I tend to agree that Brussels is still a good route and could do well if the aircraft was suited to the carriage of interlining passengers and their luggage, so I also agree that Brussels Airlines is probably the only one that could really make it work, although I would be very happy to be proved wrong. Paris is another good option. The Jet2 offering on the route is totally inadequate, but, if we are talking about interlining to such as the French Caribbean, many of these flights operate out of Orly, rather than CDG. In fact my sister, who owns a home in Guadaloupe (close to where Death in Paradise is filmed) has just flown out there today, out of Orly. So a flight to CDG in competition with Jet2 would be of limited use. For me, Madrid or Lisbon would make a lot of sense, especially Madrid given it's interlining options to South America and internal flights within Spain. Iberia Express perhaps? I wish LBA and the airline would make their announcement as I hate having to wait to find out. I never did have much patience.

I hate waiting Heather!! I have noticed recently the airlines page has been updated on the LBA website (adding TCX/TUI leases). This may be preparation for the new airline, or am I just dreaming!

It may well be however I don't believe LBA management would describe it as a "new airline" instead off "existing airline".
It really depends on the "spin" you want to put on this announcement. I do tend to agree with you though as this doesn't really seem to be style of current management. I think it will be someone new in this announcement and then bmir for the base - which can of course park on the smaller stands

Just for information regarding the awaited announcements re new routes/airlines, about 10 days ago I wrote to LBA to ask when an announcement might be made. Today I got a reply from Chris Sanders, Aviation Development Director (via the airport secretary to whom I had written). Basically the situation is as I mentioned previously. LBA are not yet in a position to make an announcement as they continue their discussions with the airline(s), but Chris says he is hopeful of a positive outcome and that an announcement will be made within the next 4 weeks.

I suspect it's more around diligence until such time as all parties are ready to announce it. As an employee of any organisation there is nothing worse than finding out something about your business expansion or changes from a 3rd party

I suspect it's more around diligence until such time as all parties are ready to announce it. As an employee of any organisation there is nothing worse than finding out something about your business expansion or changes from a 3rd party
I would agree with that. It isn't just about doing a deal, it is the timings of flights, days of operation for routes, and for the airline, arranging handling agents and sorting a contract with them, and ensuring that once announced they are ready to load flights onto their website and go on sale. Not much point in announcing something and then telling readers that they should watch out for the flights going on sale at some point in the future. They need to go on sale as soon as the announcement is made ideally to take advantage of the interest the announcement creates.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock