The airline is so mired in decision making about a govt bailout or to go for vol bankruptcy that the BRS FRA route might just be insignificant in their view.
I'm sure it is small beer to them, especially at the moment. It might be that in future Lufthansa only looks at the UK's major airports for its UK-Germany connectivity.

I'm sure it is small beer to them, especially at the moment. It might be that in future Lufthansa only looks at the UK's major airports for its UK-Germany connectivity.

That is the big fear with all airlines. The dynamics have changed drastically. Airport slots and fleet size are not the currency any more. With so many international airlines going to the wall the traditional slot in a major airport is not sufficient to bring in buyers. If this is the state of play with major airports god help the sub 10 million ones.

Read today that Changi is closing T2 for 18 months. Incredible. They are saying that they will use the time to renovate but that was not the plan 2 months ago.

From BRS POV the internal boardroom battles at EZY are coming at a very bad time. May22 is the crunch meeting. To lose their main guys, if they are pushed out by Haji, would be disastrous.

Last edited:
I don’t know how accurate it is but I messaged the airport this morning and they replied to say the launch has been delayed until later this year. Incidentally I can’t find a link other than the tweet I saw to say whether they have cancelled the route. So keep your fingers crossed - lufthansa still has Bristol on its menu

I don’t know how accurate it is but I messaged the airport this morning and they replied to say the launch has been delayed until later this year. Incidentally I can’t find a link other than the tweet I saw to say whether they have cancelled the route. So keep your fingers crossed - lufthansa still has Bristol on its menu
I was told on Twitter that both it and Brussels would return for summer 2021 whether the person is correct or not I don't know but it could be a realistic timeframe.

Not looking good for Lufthansa starting from BRS. They announced 22k redundancies yesterday and 100 aircraft to take out of service.

Great news - daily BRS-FRA flights on the lovely E190 (100 seats).

NCL-FRA also starts daily in June on the slightly less lovely (personal opinion) CRJ-900 (90 seats).
I've never flown on a CRJ but it doesn't seem to have a good reputation!

I posted last night that BRS could do with Lufthansa returning on the FRA route but that I didn't think it would be this year. LH was of course due to return on the route from the end of March last year at 2 x daily (single daily Saturdays) until the pandemic put a stop to that plan. The fact that they have decided to return this year when travel is still uncertain must be a big boost for the airport and bodes well for the airline group's commitment and, hopefully, 2022 will see the frequency back to 2 x daily.

It now needs the Lufthansa Group to reinstate the BRU route with Brussels Airlines, although that one really is unlikely this year (says he who was wrong about FRA).

This sort of route is also a good counter to expansion objectors who will try to make the point again, this time at the airport's planning appeal, that BRS is little more than a holiday airport and does almost nothing to assist the region's economy.

Good news on Lufty back into BRS. With the route it will bring confidence back to people to fly again. Could this be the news that we were to look out for very shortly.
I think so.

Press release now on BRS website.

Lufthansa announces daily service from Bristol to Fankfurt and beyond​

Created: 25th Feb 2021

Lufthansa strengthens its commitment to Bristol Airport today (Thursday 25 February) announcing a daily service from Bristol to Frankfurt will commence from 28 June 2021.

The new route provides business travellers with increased opportunity to trade in one of the world’s leading financial centres and opens the door for multiple onward connections for leisure travellers. With a vast, global, multi-hub network fares to Frankfurt start from £104 return (including taxes, fees, carrier charges and carry on baggage) and are available to book now at lufthansa.com.

Frankfurt is renowned for its world-class attractions, including the opera house, Goethe Museum and the Deutsches Film Museum; culture seekers in particular can now take advantage of the convenient new services. This is the first Frankfurt service for Lufthansa from Bristol strengthening the South West’s accessibility to Germany.

Announcing the new flight, “Andreas Köster, Senior Director Sales UK, Ireland & Iceland, Lufthansa Group said: “We are looking forward to resuming our Bristol service this upcoming summer and offering our customers great connectivity within our world-wide, multi-hub system. As one of the largest carriers in Europe, with just a short stopover in Frankfurt, our customers will have access to hundreds of connections to numerous destinations within our vast, global network.”

The Frankfurt service demonstrates Lufthansa’s commitment to the UK market and will provide increased connectivity to long-haul destinations such as Tokyo, Cape Town and Singapore. Supporting the development of tourism and business links between both markets, the service will also create additional employment opportunities.

Dave Lees, CEO, Bristol Airport said:

“This is incredibly positive news for Bristol Airport and the region. Lufthansa is a major global airline and this decision shows confidence in air travel returning to normal. The new daily service commencing 28 June between Bristol and Frankfurt opens up a wide range of European and worldwide connections to our customers. Frankfurt is a great city whether for business or leisure and the link between Bristol and Frankfurt allows us to promote the South West and Wales region to inbound visitors from Germany and beyond. Today’s news is a strong indication of the confidence in the region. We see great potential for this new service and will work with Lufthansa on other exciting route opportunities in the future.“

For full details of all destinations and fares on offer, visit lufthansa.com or contact your local travel agent.

I wonder if Munich may be on the cards
I note the final sentence in the comments of the BRS CEO but it's the sort of thing he might be expected to say.

MUC has approximately followed the path of FRA from BRS in that from the late 90s the BA franchisee (in various guises as Brymon/BACitiExpress/BAConnect) operated at least daily services to both German destinations until 2007 when Flybe bought BAConnect and promptly axed the BRS base including the FRA and MUC routes.

Lufthansa then operated the FRA route for a year in 2008/2009 with 3 x daily (21 x weekly) Bae146-300 Eurowings aircraft. They suspended the route from April 2009 in the face of increasing recession effects saying it would be back when conditions were right. It was thought Lufthansa were about to resume the FRA route using smaller bmiregional Embraer aircraft an airline they owned at the time. bmiregional was then acquired by Sector Aviation Holdings who set up a 5/6 aircraft base at BRS with two of the routes being FRA and MUC that commenced in 2013 with frequencies later increased up to 3 x daily. Within a year or two both FRA and MUC acquired Lufthansa code share status which lasted until early 2019 when the airline by then known as flybmi ceased operations.

So apart from the year in 2008/2009 FRA and MUC have largely operated at the same time which means that any suggestion of Lufthansa and MUC isn't necessarily wildly optimistic, although it might not be on the immediate LH radar screen.

I can't remember any other regular MUC services from BRS apart from charter flights. I know that in the summer of 1983 Thomson Holidays operated weekly flights to Munich using their Britannia Airways Boeing 737-200 aircraft for Lakes and Mountains Holidays because my wife and I and our family went on one based in Austria. That was before they began using Salzburg Airport for Austrian Lakes and Mountains holidays.

Lufthansa - BRS-FRA in winter 21/22
When it was announced that Lufthansa would be operating a daily BRS-FRA route from June this year, it was only on sale up until the end of the summer season (end of October 2021).

I've kept an eye on the route and I'm happy to see that the daily route is now on sale for winter 21/22 as well, also daily on a E190. Positive news that Lufthansa will be staying year-round!

I saw a Lufthansa from BRS advert on the back of one of the A1 Airport Flyer double-decker buses today.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock