Re: Leeds Bradford - Passengers & Frequent Flyers

The escalator has not operated in the up direction for donkey's years. I once mentioned it to a member of Servisair staff because it was coming down as usual. There were several infirm and aged people and a mother with 2 young babies struggling to go up the steps with several bags and babies.The Sevisair blonde plank told me, it is coming down because we have to use it to load the BMI pax.
I know brains don't come on the cheap, but for heaven's sake, what is it with these people.

I don't work for Servisair but in their defence they don't have a key to operate that escalator which is/was reversible. The escalator would normally be turned on or reversed by the airport Duty Manager. There is however a lift at that location which is clearly marked for people who might struggle with the steps.

The escalator at arrivals works, but is not used. The airport have this crazy idea that when the immigration queue is backed up past where arrivals joins the main corridor that when people get on the escalator it may get congested at the top so people would not be able to get off it and cause a health and safety problem, over the whole summer I have seen the queue reach that point once and that was an exceptional circumstance. The airport have now stopped the escalator down into baggage reclaim, for no known reason.

It is absurd that this happens, passengers get very annoyed and if the airport cannot have a dam escalator in use for passengers, then god help us when the terminal development happens. As a passenger said to me the other day, LBA really can be a 'village' airport with basic things as escalators not working. Get it sorted! It makes life as staff and im sure as a passenger very difficult!

A lift is available for those less able & with children etc. Sometimes, passport control also allow wheelchair passengers on GB passports to be taken directly into the reclaim hall. An esculator is a lazy device and the areas in question are not several stories that encompass 100's of steps. Many passengers & staff could do with the exercise. There are far bigger issues with the design, layout and operation of LBA than this I feel.

The esculator down to stand 5/6 has seldom seen use for over 12 months now, no real need for it. Just an expensive ornament Leeds city council thought was impressive no doubt. A lift is also available to take passengers down from passport control to the recliam hall.

Some of the reasons behind all this i can appreciate the frustration from staff and passengers alike, however we live in health & safety britian. We just have to deal with it.

Last Wednesday morning I entered the Servisair business lounge just before 9 am. I checked in and the guy told me if I wanted some toast then I had to be quick. When I asked why, he said the toaster must be removed at 9 am. The reason being that the toast is free of charge and the airport caterers had complained because we should buy from them. The Servisair idiot said he actually agreed with the ban and it was not fair for some pax to have free food.
This made my blood boil. First point, the toast is not free of charge it is paid for by the airlines and ultimately by their clients.
I have spent thousands pounds over many years to earn this privalige. Why should some bucket and spade one time per year loco flyer be classed the same as me.
Many business lounges provide great food. If the loco pax want it in the busieness lounge, then they can pay 20 odd pounds.
Only in Leeds, you could not make up such a story.

Wawkrk, at the last Consultative committee meeting that I attended, John Parker commented about the fact that there are many complaints from passengers that he could potentially resolve or take up with service partners, if he knew about them and if the passengers wrote to him about them. He was referring mainly to complainants who chose to write to the Evening Post slagging off the airport rather than give the airport bosses a chance to sort things out. Whilst you have not written to the Evening Post, the issue you refer to is maybe one that you could notify to John Parkin. I have read an awful lot of complaints on here recently, and the common denominator is Servisair. It would appear that they, above all others, are tarnishing the repuation of the airport. I am sure that Mr Parkin would welcome information about some of the issues posted on this forum.

wawkrk said:
Last Wednesday morning I entered the Servisair business lounge just before 9 am. I checked in and the guy told me if I wanted some toast then I had to be quick. When I asked why, he said the toaster must be removed at 9 am. The reason being that the toast is free of charge and the airport caterers had complained because we should buy from them. The Servisair idiot said he actually agreed with the ban and it was not fair for some pax to have free food.
This made my blood boil. First point, the toast is not free of charge it is paid for by the airlines and ultimately by their clients.
I have spent thousands pounds over many years to earn this privalige. Why should some bucket and spade one time per year loco flyer be classed the same as me.
Many business lounges provide great food. If the loco pax want it in the busieness lounge, then they can pay 20 odd pounds.
Only in Leeds, you could not make up such a story.

Was the member of staff someone who is usually in the executive lounge or could it have been somebody new ? I haven't heard of any new rules dictating what the Executive Lounge can and can't provide but like you say, when you have paid good money to use such a service you would expect to be able to get a slice of toast at least, even the whole loaf for that matter.

I never saw the Servisair guy before. Maybe he was from BMI. He is about in his 50's.
He does not understand what the business lounges are for and why they exist.
I also spoke with a very nice lady who has worked for Servisair for 20 years. She sent an email to her bosses registering the complaint.
She told me to also write to them. The toaster is not important but the principle is and it was stirred up by this poorly trained idiot who proceeded to explain that in the whole of the UK only Leeds has a toaster for gods sake.
Manchester supplies croissants. Can't believe I am writing about this rubbish.

I wrote to John Parkin several times when he was MD at Bristol, usually having a whinge.

I always received a reply and signed by him. Whether he wrote the letter of course is another matter but I suspect he did in most cases.

I was impressed by this and it would be beneficial for everyone if LBA punters did the same rather than moan to their local rag.

hi i just book my flight from teesside to Sharm-el-Sheikh but it says i can fly from leeds bradford and i know it is not thomascook because i tryed to book with them and it says thay dont do flight to Sharm-el-Sheikh dos eny know if thomson are doing new flights from leeds bradford

Post approved by Aviador at 12:55, thank you for making a contribution to Forums4airports. I moved your post here from it's original place.

Im a little confused with you post if im honest. If you mean SSH from LBA, it will be jet2.com operating the service.

Thomas Cook do sell holidays to Sharm el Sheikh from LBA, both summer and winter according the airport web site, although they may be taking an allocation on the Jet2 flight.

Yes but they withdrew the service at the beginning of the winter season because of "lack of interest", but according to various sources Thomas Cook is taking booking for next winter flying with Jet2.com apparently.

I am tempted to say that is great news and a step forward, particularly since I have just read that TOM have announced new routes from Durham Tees Valley for the winter (NB Their new routes being publicised by Peel Holdings whereas ours are not even worthy of a press release by the airport so far). However, bearing in mind this is TOM, I can't help thinking that if they happen at all, half the flights will end up somewhere else. Sorry if that sounds cynical, but we have been here before.

I hope that this time, they do operate these flights and don't disappear to DSA or MAN at every opportunity.

White Heather said:
I am tempted to say that is great news and a step forward, particularly since I have just read that TOM have announced new routes from Durham Tees Valley for the winter (NB Their new routes being publicised by Peel Holdings whereas ours are not even worthy of a press release by the airport so far). However, bearing in mind this is TOM, I can't help thinking that if they happen at all, half the flights will end up somewhere else. Sorry if that sounds cynical, but we have been here before.

I hope that this time, they do operate these flights and don't disappear to DSA or MAN at every opportunity.

I must be cynical as well then White Heather because there's no way on this planet that I would book a flight with them and expect to actually fly from LBA.

Thomson's have completely lost all their credibility as far as I am concerned. Passengers aren't stupid either, most have been 'converted' to the Jet2 way now and they are quite happy to book with Jet2holidays knowing that if something does go wrong they'll be looked after.

After all, who wants to book with an airline that diverts your flight before it's even taken off because the weather might be bad when you get there? They operate a double dutch system out of Leeds which must deter 'customers' from flying with them in their droves.

Frequent flyers and interested others may like to know that there is a free iPhone App called UK Leeds which is for arrival and departure times at LBIA, the Manchester version charges! Get the Leeds version while it is free...

getting to LBA?!

can anyone give us any advice on the best route to take to LBA? we're coming up the M1 from Sheffield but all the routes seem to take us thru' leeds....a thought which fills us with dread!!! I thought this site would have some expert advice from those in the know - don't let me down!!!
thankyou!

Re: getting to LBA?!

pinkheart said:
can anyone give us any advice on the best route to take to LBA? we're coming up the M1 from Sheffield but all the routes seem to take us thru' Leeds....a thought which fills us with dread!!! I thought this site would have some expert advice from those in the know - don't let me down!!!
thankyou!

Welcome to Forums4Airports pinkheart.

Once coming off the M1 I would take the A65 signposted towards the airport. Unfortunetly this would mean going through the city centre or alternatively you could avoid the city centre and come off the M1 at Elland Road and head towards Armley Gyratory and then down to the A65. However the Gyratory can be heavily congested. I personally don't find the route from the M1 to the A65 through the city centre too bad. What time is your flight?

thanks for quick reply , runway32! flight is at 15.20.
we worry about leeds cos we've got lost every time we've been there due to rubbish signposts (been other people driving tho'!!). unsure how long it might take from sheffield (online says about 1hr 20 from our house!!) so we're worried we may get stuck in the city but as we don't know what other roads are like, we're also worried that we'll choose an even worse route!!! i'm in a panic - can you tell!!!

You should have no real problem. Come to the top of the old M1, marked "CITY CENTRE" which lands you through the Dark Arches into City Square. Turn left at what might be called the Queens Hotel Corner, and make sure you DON'T get in the nearside lane as that will take you into the Train Station. Follow the A65 out and at Rawdon Traffic lights (about 7 milesish) turn right as signposted, and you there! All very democratically controlled by lights, which will not be on peak hour settings at the time you'll be travelling. I'd be more worried about the time taken to park your motor, but perhaps somebody is dropping you off!

If this hasn't bored you stiff, shout and I'll give you a better RETURN route. It makes much more sense to use the Ring Road, anticlockwise, on the way home!

Enjoy

Bhowani

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock