Advertisement

Airport Experience (Questions & Reviews)

jason1-11

Nov 4, 2009
LONDON
Flew back on the BA 1343 yesterday. Again a very good load with only the odd spare seat available. Possibly 3/4 in Club Europe also. I have used the route 3 times this year already, but still can’t work out why BA are reducing to twice a day at certain times. Ultimately that’s their decision and our loss.

A quick update on the Terminal and Airport :

Used the free 1 hour drop off. Distance absolutely no problem, but would point out the state of the tarmac in places was in a very poor condition.

Security was much improved with steady progress made to the front even though the queue was large. Ironically, when I got to the front I was told I could have used the “fast track!” Staff friendly and professional with the snaking queue system much improved over the long single line adopted previously.

Terminal was very busy with the inadequate number of seats being apparent. People were using the floor or aimlessly marching around the Terminal looking for the odd spare seat. Bearing in mind this was a Sunday afternoon, not quite sure how the terminal functions on a Saturday morning in August etc. Appreciate the number of seats will be increased in the not too distant future, but still not convinced it’s enough, but conversely too many in winter - age old LBA problem. The Premier Lounge was packed so definitely a good revenue stream for the Airport.

Departed 14 without using the runway extension which always leaves slightly nervous, but the Captain was keen to get a move on due to air traffic control restrictions.

Advertisement

KARFA

Jun 3, 2014
Ironically, when I got to the front I was told I could have used the “fast track!” Staff friendly and professional with the snaking queue system much improved over the long single line adopted previously.
I think all BA passengers get fast track at LBA, it isn't restricted to the usual BA fast track users of club europe or silver/oneworld sapphire or above. The check in staff will usually tell you but if you are not checking in bags you probably won't know. Perhaps LBA should put a sign up at security like many airports where they list the airlines and cabin/statuses eligible for fast track?

Departed 14 without using the runway extension which always leaves slightly nervous, but the Captain was keen to get a move on due to air traffic control restrictions.
I have had this a few times from both 14 and 32 on BA flights. I guess before pushing back the pilots have already done the performance calculations for full length and from the intersection so if they can go from the intersection they will - saves a few minutes I suppose.

Also now twice on BA when landing on 32 we have managed to vacate on B!

Tarn Spotter

Nov 5, 2012
Left LBA on the 19th of last month and returned yesterday.
First the positive news, glad to see that trollies are now free and in both the car park and the baggage hall the payment equipment disconnected, hopefully never to be restored.
Maybe the airport consider a coin the slot system similar to supermarkets as we had to hunt the car park as trollies all over the place.
All special assistance staff now on the airport payroll with shorter hours and different staffing patterns which the staff we spoke to happy.
Whilst only just the one trip it was not very pleasant. Now if you fly Jet2 you are given a wheel chair by Jet2 staff, but no one to push it. Fortunately our son had dropped us off and could push us to the case drop off desk and thehn was told to push us to a collection point in B zone and a SA staff member would collect us. Every 10 minutes a jet2 staff member came across and said hoped we would be collected soon. One hour after being dropped off Jet2 now getting concerned as just over an hour to flight time and a member of staff pushed us to the new SA area in front of the main doors. The guy on the desk said no instructions received from jet2 to collect us, who knows.
By the time we had got down to security jet2 staff anxious for us to get on the plane, I advised now just over 2 hours since arriving at the airport, no toilets, no water etc . Unfortunatley security busy and it took around 20 minutes to get through, with jet2 staff advising aircraft loading.
To be fair SA staff took us to the toilets and others bought us water but it was far to much of a rush and in the end we were the last on the plane.
Coming back not sure were the breakdown was, jet2 were clear we needed Ambulift, we required going out and I had doubled checked at Malaga it was booked for LBA. Suffice to say according to the records not one booked.
Fortunately the plane was not going out again, unless it would have been an issue as it took 30 minutes before we were removed from the plane.
Were back again to spain in 4 weeks, just checked with jet2 who say amblulift booked and I will get my son to push us all the way to the new SA desks by the main doors.
Did not have a chance to see any changes to the airport, but the new SA area by the doors is well laid out and looks to have plenty of seating.

SNOWMAN

Jan 12, 2010
hi paully
have just read your post and the other 2 posts on the new lounges at man,i hope the LBA management keep strict watch on there new lounges,we always use the family lounge at LBA if our flight is later than
8am,on one visit there was a party of ladies in there trying to drink all the stella in the fridge and all
the vodka in the bottle the noise from them was very loud, food all over the tables and floor,this was not what we paid for,our next visit they had stopped the help yourself to beer and spirits and the result of this was the lounge was much calmer, they had built a small bar and you were served with drinks,
regards
snowman

paully

Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
Hi Snowman..The problem with these lounges is they rely on a constant funding stream to make them worthwhile.If there isnt a sufficent business turnover, then as in Manchester`s case, they lower the bar(no pun intended). I`m constantly getting e mails from them re booking the lounges at large discounts to the door price. That sadly tells its own story, evidenced by the other stories. The same issue will arise at Leeds It remains to be seen how they will handle it..Same mistakes or lose money making a stand. Only time will tell I`m afraid. As for us, I think we`ll take a chance with getting a seat in T3 and head to gate early.We`ve 4 hours sat down after that!!

Offint

Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
F0C8D6A1-D740-4264-9917-60D9BA062FC2.jpeg Sat in 1432 lounge and me and my wife are the only ones in here which is nice as The Yorkshire Lounge was busy and noisy.
One the menu there are local specialty pies which they dont have any....very disappointed to be honest as lots of things are not available.....view is brilliant but thats about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #387
Sat in 1432 lounge and me and my wife are the only ones in here which is nice as The Yorkshire Lounge was busy and noisy.
One the menu there are local specialty pies which they dont have any....very disappointed to be honest as lots of things are not available.....view is brilliant but thats about it.
Yes that is disappointing. Your not just paying for the asthetics your paying for a service. Having the odd out of stock item is one thing but lots of things unavailable is very disappointing. LBA will have to do better, let's hope this is a one off.

paully

Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
You really would think that as its new and out to make an impression, that it would run like clockwork. Very disappointing..Thanks for the heads up about the Yorkshire Lounge as well..We are out from LBA a week on Tuesday but think we`ll take our chances in the coffee shop

Offint

Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
Yes that is disappointing. Your not just paying for the asthetics your paying for a service. Having the odd out of stock item is one thing but lots of things unavailable is very disappointing. LBA will have to do better, let's hope this is a one off.
I used my PP and had to pay a £5 surcharge.....had 3 bottles of Peroni....an awful hot turkey sandwich...which was prepacked turkey slices and pinged in the microwave for 30 secs....dreadful first experience.

Sep 24, 2012
The previous lounge always had a proportion of scummy individuals so don't think anything will change here at the low end. There is a big difference in lounge experience between those accessible by ticket/privilege only and those that will accept anyone willing to pay. As most passengers are just flying out as opposed to having a long wait between connections, I struggle to see why anyone would pay to use these. I'm normally only in the airport less than an hour so just doesn't make sense for me.

Offint

Feb 6, 2016
Ilkley
You really would think that as its new and out to make an impression, that it would run like clockwork. Very disappointing..Thanks for the heads up about the Yorkshire Lounge as well..We are out from LBA a week on Tuesday but think we`ll take our chances in the coffee shop
The funny thing is the other 2 lounges have beer on draught (pints) yet the 1432 is bottles only....thats why its quite.

paully

Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
In the Camden coffee shop, waiting for Ls249 to Fuerteventura..got dropped off in the free car park and 6 mins walk to security.. albeit just with hand luggage..very efficient and polite staff at security but Border Force were out in numbers with a sniffer dog before you got to the lounges.. looking at the age of the travellers, doubt they caught anyone..LBA busy but coping well so far a good experience..

paully

Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
Thank you all..Ill I do more on the trip tomorrow..but Jet2 staff have the job nailed..we were called to the gate 50mins before departure very well marshalled and pleasant ground staff and due to their efforts we took off early..nothing to fault LBA on....apart from 3sinks in one of the gents with wonky taps..great relaxing experience

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
Friend of mine recently flew from Leeds with a large party to Dublin. Comments were as follows:
nowhere was open when we arrived- coffee bar specifically mentioned, albeit they did arrive at 03:30!
also commented that the walkway was very dirty. Not reading much into these comments but customer perception is important.

Tarn Spotter

Nov 5, 2012
I think if you arrive at any airport two hours before it opens for flights or two hours before the last flight leaves all commercial operations will be closed down.
We flew out of LBA last October at 7.15pm and I have pictures of basically all the ground floor without a soul in sight and virtually all the bars etc were closed.
In June we flew out of Malaga at 9pm and even the duty free was closed as well as most of the other retail operations. You can only afford to employ staff if they have sufficent customers to serve and obviously the regulations on 4.5 hour total shifts make the starting time crucial to ensure staff in place when really needed, I imagine 5am to 9.30am or similar.
With regards the dirty walkway, it must be very hard to maintain clean as rubbish can easily blow in as its not completely sealed from the elements. The prevailing wind in the u.k. blows all rubbish straight towards this walkway, its an almost impossible battle to keep clean, unless you ensure no doors etc are ever opened.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
Reason they were so early is the coach driver had got stuck in traffic a couple of weeks earlier and his pax nearly missed the flight. I agree though its overkill yo get there so early.
Apparently my friend flies from Liverpool sometimes so presumably a comparison was drawn with their walkway.
There is no excuse for not cleaning anyway. If its an area that gets dirty quickly it should be cleaned more often- simple.

Alan

JRP

Jan 12, 2018
Leeds
Flew out to Gerona Friday 25th with Ryanair and back today the 28th
This is the first time I have been To LBA since I left my job there 2 1/2 years ago

We had pre- booked car parking in the short stay, no issues here and only a couple of minutes walk to the terminal which was great

Security was through in 5 minutes even though it was the busy morning rush, staff were friendly and polite

Airside was absolutely rammed with people and there were plenty of people sat on the floor as no seating available

We choose to have Breakfast in the new Cabin Bar, again was very busy and the staff were struggling to cope, tables were full of stuff and not been cleaned up

The food was good but as you expect was expensive for the amount you get

We was at gate 9 so had to walk to the portacabin around stand 12, only comment here was slow boarding and it was raining so passengers were getting wet

On the return buses were a bit slow in getting to the aircraft

Passport control was through in 5 mins and was on my way home 35 mins after touching down

Advertisement

Top Bottom