I actually disagree to an extent. If you're transiting through a larger airport they will have you walking much further before you reach immigration allowing the queue from previous flights to clear before you get there. I'm not saying things are perfect but the terminal can't be transformed overnight. As for staffing levels at immigration, it is out of LBAs hands as @White Heather and I have mentioned many times previously.
Correct Aviador. LBA can ask until they are blue in the face for sufficient Immigration staff, but ultimately, Border Force provide what they can or wish to. There's not much excuse for them providing too few staff really as the Leeds office used to provide staff fro both LBA and DSA, and now, they only have LBA to worry about.

The length if the queue is almost certainly down to the fact it was a Wizz Air flight in front. I know that at LBA, previously at DSA, and at other airports, the Wizz flights, particularly from Romania, seem to result in a lot of immigration issues, which can slow down the process of clearing arrivals. But it's up to Border Force to staff accordingly. Perhaps with it being half term they are down on staff this week.

As for taxis, again, that's not controlled by the airport. All they can do is penalise the taxi operator (we know who they are) if they are not meeting the contractual standards and when the time comes for contract renewal, they of course then have the option of non renewal. It's not something that's unique to LBA. It can be a problem at any airport., Especially at busy times. Some years ago I queued 2 hours at Tenerife from midnight until 2am for a taxi. The queue stretched the length of the terminal!

They really need some e-gates to try and speed things up. There are often queues but usually all positions are staffed so there is no more capacity to add - basically immigration is too small for the number of passengers arriving at LBA these days.

I understand e-gates should be coming when the terminal expansion is done.

They really need some e-gates to try and speed things up. There are often queues but usually all positions are staffed so there is no more capacity to add - basically immigration is too small for the number of passengers arriving at LBA these days.

Correct. A mix of more manned gates plus e gates are included in the new immigration zone when built.

Indeed but sadly, until the extension is built, everyone has to funnel/queue through the same corridor along the front on the terminal, its a bottleneck.
Hopefully the new extension, when finally built, will solve this issue.

Indeed but sadly, until the extension is built, everyone has to funnel/queue through the same corridor along the front on the terminal, its a bottleneck.
Hopefully the new extension, when finally built, will solve this issue.
At least while queuing you can watch the planes!
In the extension, it will be far better, but no view of the airfield I suspect. Instead of a long corridor, it will be a winding queue as seen now in the Jet2 check in hall.

I actually disagree to an extent. If you're transiting through a larger airport they will have you walking much further before you reach immigration allowing the queue from previous flights to clear before you get there. I'm not saying things are perfect but the terminal can't be transformed overnight. As for staffing levels at immigration, it is out of LBAs hands as @White Heather and I have mentioned many times previously.

Correct. Oldest trick in the book - keep them moving and no one will complain about queue times.

Correct Aviador. LBA can ask until they are blue in the face for sufficient Immigration staff, but ultimately, Border Force provide what they can or wish to. There's not much excuse for them providing too few staff really as the Leeds office used to provide staff fro both LBA and DSA, and now, they only have LBA to worry about.

The length if the queue is almost certainly down to the fact it was a Wizz Air flight in front. I know that at LBA, previously at DSA, and at other airports, the Wizz flights, particularly from Romania, seem to result in a lot of immigration issues, which can slow down the process of clearing arrivals. But it's up to Border Force to staff accordingly. Perhaps with it being half term they are down on staff this week.

As for taxis, again, that's not controlled by the airport. All they can do is penalise the taxi operator (we know who they are) if they are not meeting the contractual standards and when the time comes for contract renewal, they of course then have the option of non renewal. It's not something that's unique to LBA. It can be a problem at any airport., Especially at busy times. Some years ago I queued 2 hours at Tenerife from midnight until 2am for a taxi. The queue stretched the length of the terminal!
Its the perception of passengers that counts. We may understand why such delays happen but the general public dont. All they see (and relate on social media) is "it took us an hour to get out of the terminal"

I of course tried to placate the passengers who were near to me in the queue by pointing out the problem is not within the airports control and at Heathrow for example it takes even longer.
All the points made are valid so it is what it is and you accept it or go elsewhere.
We will continue to use LBA.

Its the perception of passengers that counts. We may understand why such delays happen but the general public dont. All they see (and relate on social media) is "it took us an hour to get out of the terminal"
Of course, hence why LBA management will be on to Border Force if they supply insufficient staff, but let's face it, Border Force wont be interested in LBAs reputation, or any other airports reputation for that matter.. It's not like it's only LBA that has queues at immigration!

Last edited:
Of course, hence why LBA management will be on to Border Force if they supply insufficient staff, but let's face it, Border Force wont be interested in LBAs reputation, or any other airports reputation for that matter.. It's not like it's only LBA that has queues at immigration!
I know some of the staff and I think they are as frustrated as we are.

I of course tried to placate the passengers who were near to me in the queue by pointing out the problem is not within the airports control and at Heathrow for example it takes even longer.
All the points made are valid so it is what it is and you accept it or go elsewhere.
We will continue to use LBA.

I have definitely not found it takes longer at LHR. The longest it has taken me over the last year is probably 10-15 minutes at T3. T5 usually there is no queue at all.

It's not numbers of staff that's the problem at LBA, it's that the whole thing is under capacity for current and future needs. Get 2 or more flights in at once and you are in a long queue stretching right down that corridor. You can have all positions staffed and it is still inadequate. I suspect LBA is probably one of the biggest UK airports lacking e-gates.

I have stood in a queue at Manchester multiple times that takes just as long when you are in the middle of a few flights.
The fact that it stretches far down the corridor can be deceiving as its in some ways no different to the massive snake queue at other airports where you are in one larger room.

The very fact that LBA is small means that multiple flights landing together will soon meet in the terminal. Remote aircraft parking isn't really remote on the grand scheme of things . It's the downside of being able to reach immigration in such a short time. As I said in an earlier post, other larger airports have the ability to separate flights because of the distance between the parking stands and the arrival facilities.

I see Teeside have produced a video showing their new scanner emphasising how much time it saves travellers. Good marketing.

Of course, the fact is that its just as beneficial to airport operators, cutting down queues.

Would be a good way of Leeds cutting security queues at peak times.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

New "Helpful" tick and a "Great Photo" camera reactions now added.
X (Formerly Twitter) embeds should now be working fully again, though you may need to use the [MEDIA] BB Code to see the full effect if the single link doesn't embed correctly ;)
Being elevated in the field of Law does not make one immune from the troubles of medical life, apart from a long standing Brain issue, I have been diagnosed with Angina, a condition that actually hurts. I have no family and since my precious dog Peggy died, I have have no one to oblige myself. I am unwell, cannot avoid that so I wish you all well.
All set for a busy football weekend peeps?
A couple of tweaks here and there coming, keep an eye and see if you can spot the difference ;)
That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock