The government has set a deadline for the new 3D scanners of June 2024, no removal from bags of liquids and electrical items will be required thereafter.
Yes, but its in an airports own best interests to get them as soon as possible. I think we discussed this before so all thats changed is that a 'competitor' airport is using it as a marketing tool- and no doubt others will follow.

BH also clearly wants/needs return on his substantial investment in MME and is actively going about promoting things to try and achieve that. Let’s hope LBA obtain these scanners sooner rather than later to help with our current congested infrastructure. With LBA already being as successful as it is it’s clear they don’t need to shout every little bit of good news from the rooftops, unlike MME, however frustrating we all tend to find that approach.

Yes, it’s a publicity stunt. I can see right through it!
Exactly, positive publicity and totally legitimate.

BH also clearly wants/needs return on his substantial investment in MME and is actively going about promoting things to try and achieve that. Let’s hope LBA obtain these scanners sooner rather than later to help with our current congested infrastructure. With LBA already being as successful as it is it’s clear they don’t need to shout every little bit of good news from the rooftops, unlike MME, however frustrating we all tend to find that approach.
LBA now do a fair bit on social media and I'm sure once they get the scanners they will take the opportunity to do publicise it. I think MME do very well on the advertising/marketing side of things. In various respects they punch above their weight.

Took 25 minutes to go through security this morning. Joined queue at 08:05- which I assume to be a generally quiet time. Presumably they must have extra security staff on duty for the peaks.

Gates 9 and 10 are a bit of a disgrace. I presume they will become a thing of the past along with that freezing cold walkway when the terminal extension is completed.

Last edited:
I've been fortunate enough to be able to visit family and friends in NZ and USA recently so have experienced a number of different airports. The trip went MAN - DXB - SYD - CHC - AKL - SFO - IAD - LHR.
Longest queue at check in - Manchester - by a wide margin!
Only airport not to check in contactless on this trip - Manchester. Everywhere simply checked in online followed by a passport in the checker then to bag drop.
Most efficient airport all round - Auckland. The owners of LBA could do far worse than take a leaf out of Auckland's book. Christchurch too was very easy, albeit for a domestic flight to Auckland, but I was literally checked in and through security in 5 mins at Christchurch.
Most surprising - immigration in to the USA at SFO. Plenty of horror stories about entering the USA but the queue was only about 10 minutes and the border patrol guy extremely friendly and welcoming.
As is ingrained in all of us I had my liquids in a clear bag and for ease I also had such things as spare battery packs in clear bags. All out, separately at all the airports until I got to Washington Dulles for the flight back to LHR, as I'm getting all the stuff out in to a tray the lady on duty said "Sir, please leave everything in the cabin bag, our scanners will see what they need to". So the technology is obviously in use at Dulles, makes life so much easier and quicker. Roll on LBA installing this technology!

Hopefully this was a one off yesterday and doesn’t in the future on what hopefully will be a very busy summer this year. Had friends yesterday on the 10am Jet2 flight to Malta who inform me that they were in a very long queue which took over 1 hour to get through security and were only just in time to have a very quick look in duty free as boarding was about to commence. Good that we are seeing high passenger numbers but we don‘t want repeats of the scenes of last year. As I said lets hope it was a bad day yesterday as we want these people to keep coming back in the future to our cosy airport on the hill.

Hopefully this was a one off yesterday and doesn’t in the future on what hopefully will be a very busy summer this year. Had friends yesterday on the 10am Jet2 flight to Malta who inform me that they were in a very long queue which took over 1 hour to get through security and were only just in time to have a very quick look in duty free as boarding was about to commence. Good that we are seeing high passenger numbers but we don‘t want repeats of the scenes of last year. As I said lets hope it was a bad day yesterday as we want these people to keep coming back in the future to our cosy airport on the hill.
I agree, the public are going to be very sensitive about delays. I see Manchester have categorically stated that its business as normal this Easter.

A one off. Let’s hope.

@LBAYORKIE is right. The public will be so sensitive.

The other thing to note - but needs to be heavily publicised is that there will be queues due to volume of pax leaving on flights approx within 1-2 hours of each other. Now sadly that will mean queues at LBA as we don’t have the room to keep people moving. All be in through longer corridors. The biggest trick of the book for airport security is to keep people moving. You do that you trick the public into the perception they are getting somewhere.

Could be worse, they could be travelling through the port of Dover, then they would have something to moan about!
Funny how the passenger reaction when interviewed on TV are blaming the ferries for overbooking, yet the Port of Dover are saying issue is generally down to bad weather and French Border Force. Yet when we get delays at airports its the airports fault. Mind you everything that can and sometimes does go wrong is always blamed on LBA and generally its an infrastructure issue. More than often it is down to Handling Agents and Border Force and nothing directly attributable to our wonderful little airport.

Funny how the passenger reaction when interviewed on TV are blaming the ferries for overbooking, yet the Port of Dover are saying issue is generally down to bad weather and French Border Force. Yet when we get delays at airports its the airports fault. Mind you everything that can and sometimes does go wrong is always blamed on LBA and generally its an infrastructure issue. More than often it is down to Handling Agents and Border Force and nothing directly attributable to our wonderful little airport.
One reason for the delays is due to all british passports required to be stamped due to the 90day rule as we are no longer in the EU.

Flew from LBA to Ibiza yesterday with Ryanair. Our on time departure was quite frankly a miracle considering earlier in the day it was over 90 minutes late!

Check in hall A in my opinion looks good, I do not mind the lack of ceiling very much. Security was advertised as less than 20 minutes but fast track meant that we were through very quickly. The queue didn’t look too bad in the normal lane. 2 lanes out of 4 open (1 and 2).

Relaxed at a bar for an hour or so until our gate was called which quickly changed to final call. This was nearly an hour before the plane was scheduled to depart and we were waiting in the walkway for about 20 minutes before the plane even arrived! We boarded from gate 8 (stand 11) before taking off on runway 14.

Overall a relatively good experience from LBA. I will post my arrival experience soon.

Return flights was not the best (see delays and diversions thread). Very turbulent and windy on approach. I was convinced a couple of times we would have to go around and potentially divert but we made it in. We were not allowed to disembark from the rear as it was too windy to use the rear stairs, and we quickly found out why. It was VERY windy. Landed on stand 11 and took a bus back to the terminal. Passport control/immigration was a quick process due to all posts being staffed. I can see why people want a new baggage claim area - it is not huge and the ceiling is very low.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

New "Helpful" tick and a "Great Photo" camera reactions now added.
X (Formerly Twitter) embeds should now be working fully again, though you may need to use the [MEDIA] BB Code to see the full effect if the single link doesn't embed correctly ;)
Being elevated in the field of Law does not make one immune from the troubles of medical life, apart from a long standing Brain issue, I have been diagnosed with Angina, a condition that actually hurts. I have no family and since my precious dog Peggy died, I have have no one to oblige myself. I am unwell, cannot avoid that so I wish you all well.
All set for a busy football weekend peeps?
A couple of tweaks here and there coming, keep an eye and see if you can spot the difference ;)
That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock