The baggage hall facilities are something I have taken LBA management to task over on so many occasions now, they probably hate me. They are simply inadequate - not enough belts, not enough room. The queues at Immigration are clearly used as a method of restricting the flow of passengers into the baggage reclaim area, otherwise it would be carnage in there. Whilst LBA have done plenty so far to the terminal to enhance the departure experience, nothing has been done to the arrivals experience other than the recent introduction of more buses for de-planing passengers. I think however that the layout of the terminal precludes any chance of expanding the baggage re-claim until such time as the large terminal expansion takes place. Once that is there then there will be scope to enlarge the area. Lets hope that Bridgepoint realise that more passengers going out means more coming back and it is essential that this area is brought up to scratch sooner rather than later.

The baggage hall facilities are something I have taken LBA management to task over on so many occasions now, they probably hate me. They are simply inadequate - not enough belts, not enough room. The queues at Immigration are clearly used as a method of restricting the flow of passengers into the baggage reclaim area, otherwise it would be carnage in there. Whilst LBA have done plenty so far to the terminal to enhance the departure experience, nothing has been done to the arrivals experience other than the recent introduction of more buses for de-planing passengers. I think however that the layout of the terminal precludes any chance of expanding the baggage re-claim until such time as the large terminal expansion takes place. Once that is there then there will be scope to enlarge the area. Lets hope that Bridgepoint realise that more passengers going out means more coming back and it is essential that this area is brought up to scratch sooner rather than later.

I couldn't agree more Heather. The arrivals hall is a necessary evil for the airport as generally speaking there isn't a lot the airport can do to make money from it. LBA is missing a trick though as the arrivals experience is the last thing a customer sees and so the memory of a bad experience will linger in the minds of those who use the airport far beyond the persons journey home.

The last time my wife and I arrived at LBA the baggage hall was heaving but the worst thing was several people decided to light up despite signs to the contrary. My wife said to one lady that smoking was not really permitted but was told in no uncertain terms to "f" off. Welcome to Yorkshire!!!! She mentioned to one official who shrugged his shoulders......
Being directed to the wrong belt is not uncommon at many airports but the worst one I had was arriving into Baggage Hall A at Madrid when our baggage was in Baggage Hall B. All 150+ of us had to sneak in to the hall B as and when the officials could let us through the barrier/closing doors.

Well at least at LBA, if you are directed to the wrong belt, it isn't far away and there are only 4 in the first place. My experience is usually that all arriving flights are on the same belt whilst the other two stand idle, which is really infuriating.

The last time my wife and I arrived at LBA the baggage hall was heaving but the worst thing was several people decided to light up despite signs to the contrary. My wife said to one lady that smoking was not really permitted but was told in no uncertain terms to "f" off. Welcome to Yorkshire!!!! She mentioned to one official who shrugged his shoulders......

I'm surprised you describe her as a lady. There is a sizeable minority of people in this country who believe that laws and regulations don't apply to them.

Just for comparison purposes....my inbound transatlantic journey into LHR saw us land at T3. We then had to walk a considerable distance to the terminal transfer buses. A further long trek through all the usual channels at T5 before reaching my gate. It took around a 70 minutes from disembarking to arriving at my transfer fate, with a substantial walk involved.

Arriving back at LBA, from disembarking I was at the bus stop in less than 30 minutes, with no more than a 300m walk. I was home, unpacked and in the pub watching the footie in the same time it took me to transfer gates at LHR.

Cant understand why we have to go upstairs for passport control at LBA, I am another Donald Trump I cant walk downstairs and hate escalators going down. Why are the old and infirmed made to go up and down its madness, is this going to be changed in the future.
This for me far worse then the overcrowded baggage hall, this just needs more seat for the disabled to sit down until cases arrive, fortunatley as it takes us so long to get to this point, cases usually on the belt, so no wait.

Tarn Spotter, you have mentioned this on many occasions and I do have every understanding for your situation. The terminal is what it is, and maybe when the new extension is built it will give the architects the scope to move all arrivals areas, including immigration on to the ground floor. For now, it can't be done. The terminal layout was introduced years ago, partly due to the limitations of the building itself and partly because the needs of the elderly or people with disabilities was not subject to the same EEC rules as today. Those rules however apply to new works but are not backdated to old works, so LBA are under no requirement to change things now. When they do works that impact on arrivals, they will have to deal with it.

In the meantime - as I have mentioned before, the airport is required to provide alternatives to help people such as yourselves to get around the issues. For them to do so, you have to book the service in advance so they know you are coming and they employ people to ensure you get all the way through the terminal to the aircraft without any of the issues you mention. If you don't let the airport know and book this service, then they cannot help. This is known as 'Reasonable Adjustments'. Surely if you experience so many difficulties as you describe, you should be giving the airport the opportunity to assist in accordance with the legislation, by booking this assistance?

Passengers from the majority of flight have to climb the stairs to pass immigration before proceeding back down stairs to collect their luggage but surely the logical solution is to add more air bridges so passengers can stay at the same level whether boarding or disembarking. At least that way arriving passengers won't have to use steps until they need to collect their luggage? Additional air bridges might not be a priority but I imagine LBA will see more eventually.

The problem Aviador is each airbridge costs a 7 figure sum, they can be expensive to maintain, and low(ish) cost airlines generally don't want to use them as they have to pay for the pleasure and, it slows down the turn round time apparently. Ryanair for example, will not use them. Jet2 do, occasionally. The terminal has to be developed around the airbridge.
I think that LBA will be re-developing the terminal to fix this problem in the future, but in the past it has been stated (by Bridgepoint and their predecessors) that more airbridges are unlikely - and there is no mention of them in the Masterplan. They are popular with passengers though and as you rightly say, they would resolve the existing problem. I think however that the preference would be to get the arrivals gate, immigration and baggage reclaim all on the ground floor.

I often get the feeling you know a lot more than you tell White Heather :sneaky:

There are occasions where I know a little but am not allowed to say, but on this issue (terminal developement) I am telling all I know, or can summise, from information provided to the Consultative Committee during airport presentations, in combination with the information provided in the Masterplan.

The terminal layout was introduced years ago, partly due to the limitations of the building itself and partly because the needs of the elderly or people with disabilities was not subject to the same EEC rules as today.
I have been taking my family who are wheel chair users through LBA all my life, E U rules are not relevant, wheel chairs were invented in 1783, even before LBA came into existance.
There is nothing more soul destroying when your trying to be independant that systems are in place making it impossible to cope without assistance.
If I write a letter today they just see it as a opening gabit to claim money and instead of trying to address the problem just bat you away.
We now have a compensation culture, delayed flights, sickness bugs etc, companies are weary about engaging in fruitful talks even if you give assurances your only wishing to ensure the problem never occurrs again to anyone.

I have been taking my family who are wheel chair users through .LBA all my life, E U rules are not relevant, wheel chairs were invented in 1783, even before LBA came into existane.
There is nothing more soul destroying when your trying to be independant that systems are in place making it impossible to cope without assistance.

As I said previously, I fully understand and appreciate the frustration that you are not able to get through the airport without either suffering, or to avoid that you are required to book assistance in advance. However, despite your obvious disdain for the EEC regulations, they are entirely relevant as it is they that govern what an organisation has to do to meet the needs of people with disabilities. It is they that state what has to be done, and also when it is sufficient to provide alternative measures to avoid problems with stairs, escalators etc. ie: Reasonable Adjustments. Had they stated that the regulations were retrospective then you might now find that the situation is different. And, although wheelchairs have been around since long before man could get in a plane and fly, even 20 years ago there was little in the way of adequate legislation to ensure that buildings were designed with wheelchair access/egress in mind. So, LBA wasn't designed or built to the current standards and will only brought up to those standards over time. It may not be ideal, but it is unfortunate that changing buildings to facilitate wheel chairs etc. can be anything but straight-forward - hence the fact that the regulations are not retrospective.

Flew back on the BA 1343 yesterday. Again a very good load with only the odd spare seat available. Possibly 3/4 in Club Europe also. I have used the route 3 times this year already, but still can’t work out why BA are reducing to twice a day at certain times. Ultimately that’s their decision and our loss.

A quick update on the Terminal and Airport :

Used the free 1 hour drop off. Distance absolutely no problem, but would point out the state of the tarmac in places was in a very poor condition.

Security was much improved with steady progress made to the front even though the queue was large. Ironically, when I got to the front I was told I could have used the “fast track!” Staff friendly and professional with the snaking queue system much improved over the long single line adopted previously.

Terminal was very busy with the inadequate number of seats being apparent. People were using the floor or aimlessly marching around the Terminal looking for the odd spare seat. Bearing in mind this was a Sunday afternoon, not quite sure how the terminal functions on a Saturday morning in August etc. Appreciate the number of seats will be increased in the not too distant future, but still not convinced it’s enough, but conversely too many in winter - age old LBA problem. The Premier Lounge was packed so definitely a good revenue stream for the Airport.

Departed 14 without using the runway extension which always leaves slightly nervous, but the Captain was keen to get a move on due to air traffic control restrictions.

Ironically, when I got to the front I was told I could have used the “fast track!” Staff friendly and professional with the snaking queue system much improved over the long single line adopted previously.

I think all BA passengers get fast track at LBA, it isn't restricted to the usual BA fast track users of club europe or silver/oneworld sapphire or above. The check in staff will usually tell you but if you are not checking in bags you probably won't know. Perhaps LBA should put a sign up at security like many airports where they list the airlines and cabin/statuses eligible for fast track?

Departed 14 without using the runway extension which always leaves slightly nervous, but the Captain was keen to get a move on due to air traffic control restrictions.

I have had this a few times from both 14 and 32 on BA flights. I guess before pushing back the pilots have already done the performance calculations for full length and from the intersection so if they can go from the intersection they will - saves a few minutes I suppose.

Also now twice on BA when landing on 32 we have managed to vacate on B!

Left LBA on the 19th of last month and returned yesterday.
First the positive news, glad to see that trollies are now free and in both the car park and the baggage hall the payment equipment disconnected, hopefully never to be restored.
Maybe the airport consider a coin the slot system similar to supermarkets as we had to hunt the car park as trollies all over the place.
All special assistance staff now on the airport payroll with shorter hours and different staffing patterns which the staff we spoke to happy.
Whilst only just the one trip it was not very pleasant. Now if you fly Jet2 you are given a wheel chair by Jet2 staff, but no one to push it. Fortunately our son had dropped us off and could push us to the case drop off desk and thehn was told to push us to a collection point in B zone and a SA staff member would collect us. Every 10 minutes a jet2 staff member came across and said hoped we would be collected soon. One hour after being dropped off Jet2 now getting concerned as just over an hour to flight time and a member of staff pushed us to the new SA area in front of the main doors. The guy on the desk said no instructions received from jet2 to collect us, who knows.
By the time we had got down to security jet2 staff anxious for us to get on the plane, I advised now just over 2 hours since arriving at the airport, no toilets, no water etc . Unfortunatley security busy and it took around 20 minutes to get through, with jet2 staff advising aircraft loading.
To be fair SA staff took us to the toilets and others bought us water but it was far to much of a rush and in the end we were the last on the plane.
Coming back not sure were the breakdown was, jet2 were clear we needed Ambulift, we required going out and I had doubled checked at Malaga it was booked for LBA. Suffice to say according to the records not one booked.
Fortunately the plane was not going out again, unless it would have been an issue as it took 30 minutes before we were removed from the plane.
Were back again to spain in 4 weeks, just checked with jet2 who say amblulift booked and I will get my son to push us all the way to the new SA desks by the main doors.
Did not have a chance to see any changes to the airport, but the new SA area by the doors is well laid out and looks to have plenty of seating.

hi paully
have just read your post and the other 2 posts on the new lounges at man,i hope the LBA management keep strict watch on there new lounges,we always use the family lounge at LBA if our flight is later than
8am,on one visit there was a party of ladies in there trying to drink all the stella in the fridge and all
the vodka in the bottle the noise from them was very loud, food all over the tables and floor,this was not what we paid for,our next visit they had stopped the help yourself to beer and spirits and the result of this was the lounge was much calmer, they had built a small bar and you were served with drinks,
regards
snowman

Hi Snowman..The problem with these lounges is they rely on a constant funding stream to make them worthwhile.If there isnt a sufficent business turnover, then as in Manchester`s case, they lower the bar(no pun intended). I`m constantly getting e mails from them re booking the lounges at large discounts to the door price. That sadly tells its own story, evidenced by the other stories. The same issue will arise at Leeds It remains to be seen how they will handle it..Same mistakes or lose money making a stand. Only time will tell I`m afraid. As for us, I think we`ll take a chance with getting a seat in T3 and head to gate early.We`ve 4 hours sat down after that!!

Sat in 1432 lounge and me and my wife are the only ones in here which is nice as The Yorkshire Lounge was busy and noisy.
One the menu there are local specialty pies which they dont have any....very disappointed to be honest as lots of things are not available.....view is brilliant but thats about it.

Yes that is disappointing. Your not just paying for the asthetics your paying for a service. Having the odd out of stock item is one thing but lots of things unavailable is very disappointing. LBA will have to do better, let's hope this is a one off.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock