You can tell there's nothing much to talk about when all we can find to discuss about LBA is it's escalators. Hopefully at some point in the near future we'll be talking about the arrivals terminal construction progress.

The fact that it has been "discussed/talked about" on a regular basis on this forum for some considerable time would suggest that it is a subject which causes, rightly or wrongly, passengers considerable angst and does nothing to enhance their views and satisfaction levels when passing through the airport. The last owners did nothing about it even though they were aware of it. I had hoped that the new owners/management would take a different approach but it seems not. I too hope that the new arrivals area will appear soon ending this long running problem.

WH maybe the word flippant was the wrong one to use. Aplogies if this offended you. Maybe the word relevant would have been more suitable. I have used escalators at airports all over Europe and beyond and never had a baggage problem and have never seen anyone else having a problem either. Why Leeds Railway station restricts the use of their escalator I have no idea but they are the first station I know of (I used to travel frequesntly throughout the London's Tube and Main Line station network) where such restrictions apply.

But, importantly, Leeds station isn't Leeds airport and, irrespective of any baggage restrictions, we are talking here of whether the airport chooses to ensure that a piece of equipment, installed initially for all the right reasons I'm sure, is working when necessary. The fact that it isn't available because it isn't switched on has got nothing to do with baggage so your comment wasn't relevant in the context of the initial complaint or subsequent discussion. I trust that this clarification does just that.

Irrespective of what anybody says regarding the escalator in question it's irrelevant at this point as the airport moves into a development phase with the entire terminal expected to be transformed over the next couple of years. I think the question @White Heather could perhaps ask at a future committee meeting is what the new management intend to do to address this in the future? I envisage the particular escalator in question will probably be used for departing passengers only in the future. This doesn't necessarily mean the situation will change as there are doors at the bottom of the escalator so the problem is still remains. They might decide to remove the escalator altogether unless there's a way to resolve this problem.

New Design and Access Statement now on the council web site, lifted the following from this report.
"LANDSIDE ISSUES The latest version of the DfT document: Aviation Security in Airport Development, gives recommendations for measures to be introduced at airports to minimise risk from attack. The key recommendation which has been considered in the planning and design of the extension to the terminal building is the requirement for vehicles to be a minimum of 30m from the terminal building, or where this cannot be achieved introduce mitigating measures, through the Risk Assessment process to ensure compliance".
This to me puts the new meet and greet car park in need of a relay, accept this part of the terminal the existing building.
In addition I cant find where the Special assistance wheelchair area currently by gate 6 is located on the ground floor.
This statement makes the clear that departures from both A & B zones will clear the new security area where today we have the baggage hall, take the lifts, escalator or stairs to the departure floor. I assume wheelchairs will make their way to an area on the ground floor awaiting boarding.

The key recommendation which has been considered in the planning and design of the extension to the terminal building is the requirement for vehicles to be a minimum of 30m from the terminal building, or where this cannot be achieved introduce mitigating measures, through the Risk Assessment process to ensure compliance".
This to me puts the new meet and greet car park in need of a relay, accept this part of the terminal the existing building.

The barriers and bollards were installed before the new meet and greet car park was installed so I would expect the above mentioned risk assessment will have been carried out already on that part of the terminal. The CAA (used to be handled by the Department For Transport) visit the airport regularly and they will have passed the current set up as acceptable otherwise the airport would have been issued a Deficiency Notice.

"LANDSIDE ISSUES The latest version of the DfT document: Aviation Security in Airport Development, gives recommendations for measures to be introduced at airports to minimise risk from attack. The key recommendation which has been considered in the planning and design of the extension to the terminal building is the requirement for vehicles to be a minimum of 30m from the terminal building, or where this cannot be achieved introduce mitigating measures, through the Risk Assessment process to ensure compliance".

Presumably that's not a prohibition on all vehicles? Checked vehicles (perhaps those in the meet & greet), airport vehicles (car park buses etc.) and checked private hire vehicles (Arrow) are allowed?

Unless something is changing in the regulations I am not sure why the meet & greet would be affected by this anymore that it is already - and clearly what is there is already acceptable to LBIA/CAA/police. The new extension wouldn't be any closer to the car park that the existing terminal building.

I flew in on the late Ryanair Dublin last night. Buses collected us from the aircraft to the arrivals. I didn’t realise that the Dublin arrivals had now changed. So instead of being dropped off at the end of the terminal....up the 4 sets of steps....show your photo ID to Police special branch......then back downstairs to the baggage carousels you now get dropped off at the baggage carousel in the portacabin where the Heathrow bags usually go on to. No police ID checks anymore....as per every other UK airport when you arrive in from Dublin and straight into the arrivals area......not a single step to climb! At last.

Flew out yesterday with Jet2 G-DRTC to Alicante. LBA Airport terminal moderately busy for time of year. Security very quick, escalator to departures blocked off - no surprise there! Walk to stand 13. Full flight, saw no spare seats, although I was right at the back. Very efficient service and good flight. Very heavy landing in ALC which was surprising as conditions excellent. LBA I would give 8/10 for departures experience and same for Jet2flight - so happy days.

Arrived home yesterday from ALC on G-DRTF arrived an hour late due to French air traffic strike. We had to sit on the aircraft in Alicante with no air con and the plane was boiling. That hot they had to come round with water! Service was ok, the staff were a bit silly and immature which didn’t bother me but probably not what their managers want to see. Head wind meant the flight was 3.06 hours. Stand 10 so we were bused - the bus was packed, there was some big chap in an elf suit chucking up at the side of the bus - welcome to Yorkshire then we had the grand twisty tour of the baggage carts and porta cabins. Had to stay on the bus due to Aer Lingus disembarking, heard dispatch saying if we were quick we could we could get off before Aer Lingus passengers got on. All of this irritated people as they were freezing and could see the arrival doors. Escalated blocked off, 4 immigration desks open and very quickly processed. Arrivals belts quiet. I had hand baggage so straight through to the sentinel bus. At the car in 39 minutes and this would have been much quicker if it wasn’t for the bus debacle. Overall 6/10 for the airport and 7/10 for the return Jet2 flight.

Arrived home yesterday from ALC on G-DRTF arrived an hour late due to French air traffic strike. We had to sit on the aircraft in Alicante with no air con and the plane was boiling. That hot they had to come round with water! Service was ok, the staff were a bit silly and immature which didn’t bother me but probably not what their managers want to see. Head wind meant the flight was 3.06 hours. Stand 10 so we were bused - the bus was packed, there was some big chap in an elf suit chucking up at the side of the bus - welcome to Yorkshire then we had the grand twisty tour of the baggage carts and porta cabins. Had to stay on the bus due to Aer Lingus disembarking, heard dispatch saying if we were quick we could we could get off before Aer Lingus passengers got on. All of this irritated people as they were freezing and could see the arrival doors. Escalated blocked off, 4 immigration desks open and very quickly processed. Arrivals belts quiet. I had hand baggage so straight through to the sentinel bus. At the car in 39 minutes and this would have been much quicker if it wasn’t for the bus debacle. Overall 6/10 for the airport and 7/10 for the return Jet2 flight.

Thanks for that..Yes I agree the `No Option` twisty bus tour is a serious irritant, the previous walk was much better. As for the escalator, best not to ever expect it again, thereby avoiding disappointment.

I suppose it would depend on the mobility of those people and which stand they arrived at, personally I would rather disembark via an air bridge or walk. The bus only adds to the third world feel of arrivals and that is at whichever airport; Alicante bussing was equally cr*p.

Offint I never said it was a big deal I said it was a cr*p experience and this is down to the infrastructure. Not being able to unload a flight due to one being ready to load wouldn’t happen somewhere like Doha, because they were designed with segregation in mind. Hopefully when the new development is completed these irritants will be eradicated. It is also down to each individual’s view point and we all have different things we like, find acceptable etc and for me it wasn’t ideal but I accept that your experience at Doha has been much more pleasant.

I'm very dubious about the starting figure quoted but that's for discussion on the Manchester forum.

There needs to be some incentive to use the ' awful edifice' I suppose.. Personally I'd find it cheaper to use LBA every which way

Park in a secure area, great, your own private terminal, fantastic, dedicated security area, fabulous, driven out to your aircraft, oh the luxury, board your Ryanair flight.....the dream has got to end sometime!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock