It is a shame they are stopping after 6 years but the silver lining is that Ryanair are taking it over.

Id much prefer Vueling to Ryanair. Ive flown with both and i can say Vueling was better. (Apart from my scratched window, LOL)

VY schedules for W19 Nov/Dec are out; although worrying for CWL - no sign of ALC and AGP!
I wonder if these routes have been dropped for winter ops and will be summer only? Not good if true

I don't know why but i wouldn't be surprised if they did drop them. Hopefully they won't but if they did then maybe the airport could get Ryanair to takeover those routes.

VY schedules for W19 Nov/Dec are out; although worrying for CWL - no sign of ALC and AGP!
I wonder if these routes have been dropped for winter ops and will be summer only? Not good if true

Are Vueling winter routes usually all announced in one go or could the CWL winter routes be amongst a second batch?
I don't know why but i wouldn't be surprised if they did drop them. Hopefully they won't but if they did then maybe the airport could get Ryanair to takeover those routes.
If, and it's a big if, Vueling has decided to cease operating to ALC and AGP next winter could there be a danger that if, another if, Ryanair did fill the void and continued into summer 20, Vueling might pull out entirely?

CWL has an excellent track record going back many, many years of comprehensively supporting sun routes in the peak summer months, and Vueling and Ryanair could probably coexist then. However, it's the shoulder period I have in mind - April, May, early June, late September and October. I'm not so sure that the support would be as solid as in the main summer months.

The idea of Ryanair arriving at CWL in some meaningful form has been discussed for a number of years, and the thought that they would want the main summer sun routes usually crops up. Now that Ryanair is edging back into CWL the possibility of more routes from them is probably greater than since they pulled out entirely well over a decade ago.

I know that Vueling has gradually built itself a good name amongst the CWL travelling public but Ryanair's reputation for piling 'em high and selling cheap (relatively so anyway) invariably means it will scoop up punters in larger numbers than many other airlines. The danger must surely be that they would take too many of Vueling's. Or is there really enough on these routes for both airlines to be satisfied right through the entire summer timetable period?

I know that Vueling has gradually built itself a good name amongst the CWL travelling public but Ryanair's reputation for piling 'em high and selling cheap (relatively so anyway) invariably means it will scoop up punters in larger numbers than many other airlines. The danger must surely be that they would take too many of Vueling's. Or is there really enough on these routes for both airlines to be satisfied right through the entire summer timetable period?
That is the danger yes that Vueling would be pushed out but if Vueling are deciding to cut CWL anyway or reduce in the future then Ryanair could compensate for any lost frequencies and possibly add more.

Are Vueling winter routes usually all announced in one go or could the CWL winter routes be amongst a second batch?

Generally all routes are released straight off, not in batches as some other airlines have done. It could be the case that in airline speak that these routes are ‘under review’ which did happen with PMI years back - so there is a chance they will be released, and it is early days yet in terms of it being so long away!

Generally all routes are released straight off, not in batches as some other airlines have done. It could be the case that in airline speak that these routes are ‘under review’ which did happen with PMI years back - so there is a chance they will be released, and it is early days yet in terms of it being so long away!
Many thanks. Fingers crossed.

I wonder if they are not putting them onsale as leverage to get a better deal from CWL?

Just because Vueling leave doesn't mean the Ryanair would pick up the slack though. Maybe they wouldn't see the routes as viable, or they could jump onto them as they have in the past. Vueling have however created a large amount of loyal passengers and many would be disappointed to not have them.

I flew with VY last Tuesday arriving back on Saturday. The flights was good, albeit delayed for 90 minutes on the return leg due to weather in LYS. There was around 20 empty seats on the outbound and 40-30 on the inbound.

CWL was smooth on the outbound journey, all 3 security lanes were active and the new tray system was much more efficient. On the return to CWL, there was work going on in immigration saying ‘new egates coming soon’
Also one of the baggage carousels was blocked off, I’m sure for maintenance as 2 wouldn’t be enough for the summer season.

When you suggest the baggage carousel was blocked off was it a maintenance blocking off or was it the divider curtain.

Cardiff Airport has 4 carousel belts in arrivals.

2 of which are continuous international arrivals.

The other two has a divide which interchanges between domestic and international if so wished at a push.

It all depends on the movements at the time however I not seen all four being used as international.

Reading elsewhere that VY have cut 8 destinations from BCN for this year, one of them being CWL. The main reason appears to be a cull of low frequency, lower performing routes in favour of higher frequencies on other current routes to boost connectivity. Also a big part of it is to improve operational performance after a poor few years of OTP through BCN. Hopefully that just means that CWL-BCN was still a viable route for them, just very low down the list of profitability and being a low frequency route was one of the first to meet the chop. FR should be able to perform even better on the route, so hopefully after this year there may be an increase in frequency.

It's a shame they cut the route but at least Ryanair has taken it over and will hopefully increase it in the long term. Also it shows that despite a good relationship with the airport it doesn't make the airport immune to cuts. It will be interesting to see how they get on with PMI as that is a route that hasn't gone past 4 weekly for a while now I believe.

Although not bookable as of yet, it appears that VY are starting to load their winter flights from CWL! ALC at 3x weekly (Tue,Thu and Sat) and AGP 2x weekly (Tue and Sat)

Although not bookable as of yet, it appears that VY are starting to load their winter flights from CWL! ALC at 3x weekly (Tue,Thu and Sat) and AGP 2x weekly (Tue and Sat)
That is good news! They don't seem to be scared away by Ryanair operating on malaga.

With Flybe being such a big player at the airport this Summer, and that will soon become a much lighter presence come Winter goes to show how much the airport needs many airlines with firm offerings across the year. The airport needs VY to ramp up ops Summer 2020. ALC and AGP should've grown to daily two years ago if you look at when VY first arrived at CWL and then grew. When you have many airlines offering a comprehensive schedule then the whole Flybe sale and now operational draw backs would be felt a lot less.

With Flybe being such a big player at the airport this Summer, and that will soon become a much lighter presence come Winter goes to show how much the airport needs many airlines with firm offerings across the year. The airport needs VY to ramp up ops Summer 2020. ALC and AGP should've grown to daily two years ago if you look at when VY first arrived at CWL and then grew. When you have many airlines offering a comprehensive schedule then the whole Flybe sale and now operational draw backs would be felt a lot less.
With Malaga i think it depends on the effect of Ryanair and with Alicante my guess is they might have the same concern that Ryanair might do the same as they did with Malaga and add Alicante June to September. Vueling have been slowly increasing those routes but i would be surprised if they went daily next year. With Mallorca hopefully they might add another flight on the weekend eventually if Ryanair doesn't beat them to it.
It would be nice if they would consider Rome but after they dropped BCN i can't see it happening.

Vueling have put Alicante onsale for Summer 2020 it's 6 weekly like this year. Malaga and Mallorca aren't onsale yet.
View attachment 13391

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock