Where Wigan is , is dependent on whether you are looking at Geographical
(real) Counties or the fabricated Administrative Counties!!
I live in the West Riding of Yorkshire or to give it's proper title the West Thriding of the County of York.

Wigan has and always will be in Lancashire according to us in Yorkshire 😀
Yes, I go by the old boundaries (1974 ?). So that means Greater Manchester and Merseyside dint exist- still in Lancashire. That also means Middlesborough is still in Yorkshire by the way!

Turning back to aviation, I presume this also means the RB211 was born in Yorkshire as Barnoldswick was in the West Riding. Can't bang on about this too much though as someone is bound to mention the historic and continuing importance of Lancashire to aircraft production.

Well don't forget that the Lancaster bomber and the Avro Hanson were built in Yeadon. and you
may also like to remember that The Yorkshire National Park now includes that largish area of the Howgill Fells round Sedbergh that is in the West Riding, now of course administered by 'Cumbria'

Well don't forget that the Lancaster bomber and the Avro Hanson were built in Yeadon. and you
may also like to remember that The Yorkshire National Park now includes that largish area of the Howgill Fells round Sedbergh that is in the West Riding, now of course administered by 'Cumbria'
Relatively few Lancasters were built at Yeadon, but most of the Ansons were built there. Cant forget Blackburns at Brough and Sherburn in Elmet.

There were 3,957 Ansons and 608 Lancasters built at Yeadon
So 608 of a grand total of 7377 Lancaster's built at Yeadon. Just over 8%. Around 400 built in Canada, so the rest were built at Chadderton.

11,020 Anson were built in total so 3,957 represents just over 28% built at Yeadon. It's easy to forget just how versatile the Anson was and how vital to the war effort.

So 608 of a grand total of 7377 Lancaster's built at Yeadon. Just over 8%. Around 400 built in Canada, so the rest were built at Chadderton.

11,020 Anson were built in total so 3,957 represents just over 28% built at Yeadon. It's easy to forget just how versatile the Anson was and how vital to the war effort.
Is that 11,020 figure correct? I thought the majority of Ansons were built at Yeadon. I need to refer to my 'mother worked at Avro' book! Unless of course that figure includes those built in Canada.

That's what it says. I ask Google, Google says 11,020.
Just delved a bit deeper. 8138 built in the UK and 2882 in Canada (Canadian airforce museum). Lancasters seems to be 695 plus 6 Lancastrians and between 77 and 138 Yorks (mother worked at Avro)

Think this thread has gone off track!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock