Status
Not open for further replies.
Flew LBA-BHD yesterday on the 1130 departure. Absolutely no issues with security at that time of day. Had the pleasure of flying on the leased "Snickers" Airlines E175 and about 30 pax on board. Arrival into BHD bang on schedule. Will report again after Sunday's return. All in all no complaints from me yesterday

Flybe have announced significant schedule reductions through to October across most of their routes, with planned new routes shelved and the programmed increased schedules from later this month on most routes now postponed. The reason given is that the leasing company contracted to supply the additional aircraft has now said it cannot deliver these aircraft until the Autumn. They are unable to source further suitable leased aircraft (which would be a huge financial drain anyway) so basically they are staying as they are but reducing flights on some existing routes as well as postponing the new routes and expanded schedules until October at least. This is probably behind the reduction in LHR flights from LBA. The announcement was silent on the impact on the forthcoming increased schedule from LBA to BHD.

I'm currently sitting in Belfast City awaiting my flight to Leeds with Aer Lingus. For a variety of reasons, I'll be travelling between the UK and Ireland/Northern Ireland more regularly in the forthcoming months.

When I was booking future flights, my main priority was cost (hence it is usually cheaper to fly to Dublin and catch a train to where I am going). As I was booking a future flight from Belfast with Aer Lingus, the app stopped working properly, so I switched to the website, which would then not give me the flight at the original, lower price. As a result, I decided to take a punt on Flybe again and give them a chance to prove themselves.

Four flights were showing at the end of July, as of last night. Honestly, I find the afternoon schedule to be poor (a departure at 5 and then another at 6) and the prices high. I booked the early morning departure.

When you consider the Aer Lingus schedule, that 5pm departure looks ripe for disappearing. That said, it was still available to book.

My experience with the Flybe Heathrow service & the problems... sorry its a big read :LOL:

Flew to LHR last week, security line was back to hall B but staff remain pro-active in pulling people from the line with imminent departures.

Flybe customers get fast track but this is not very well published, I only saw mention via the odd ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- post from LBA. Happy to be corrected if it is promoted elsewhere.

Got to the airport at 0515 for the 0645 departure as arriving 3 hours before for a domestic shuttle taking 40 minutes would be silly, may as well get the train instead. Through to departures in about 20 minutes thanks to the fast track lane & I don't know how anyone can spend more than an hour in that departure lounge. Grim, overcrowded & filthy.

Lovely to fly the Dash again, the soft cabin refurbishment is smart and the interior was nice & clean. Terrible load factor, perhaps 15 by my count and some of those onboard clearly enthusiasts - which is lovely but indicative that even fewer people are actually using this service for business or connectivity.

Returned a few days later, online check in so no need to visit the desk or drop a bag - the evening service back to LBA at 2045.

Terminal 2 was very busy, fast track lane was closed & I don't think there is any agreement with Flybe to provide the Fast Track facility at LHR in any case. The line snaked outside the front of the Queens Terminal with staff wearing pink vests directing customers. Joined the line at 1915 and told it would take just 15 minutes (believe that when we see it we thought). Essentially, there was a queue for a queue to join the actual queue and periodically the staff stopped customers walking to check in desks to let more people transition to the next stage of the queue for the queue.

Herein lies the problem when people are not proactive at managing chaos, in the line there was people not flying for 2,3 sometimes 4 hours. Literally the last flights leaving T2 that evening. We very quickly deduced that it would take more like 1 hour to reach the front of the line and actually go through security. We saw people leaving the queue and calling friends saying they would not make it & understandably getting rather upset. The staff just kept smiling when asked if there was enough time "oh yes"...

In the end we had to speak to a Staff member of Swissport who handle Flybe, he (after some explanation of what he needed to be doing)... managed to get us to the front of the queue for the boarding card scanner. It was now 2000 & we find another queue to actually filter into the security lanes, we gave it another 15 minutes and realized this was not going to work either, so had to speak to another member of staff & explain our flight was now boarding. After some deliberation he allowed us to go to a lane & we reached our boarding gate at 2030. In total it took 3 separate conversations with staff to make our flight before the gate closed. One last customer made the flight, he also had to beg his way through security through a sea of people with hours to kill.

Only about 11 people on the flight up, lovely chatty Cabin Crew who demonstrated a lot of empathy when listening to how stressful the experience was at LHR. Unfortunately, everyone around me said the same thing basically "never again" .. or words to that effect. There was a lady that had spent 3 hours at LBA that morning to go down to LHR, attend a meeting and then spent another 3 hours in the terminal at LHR. Total travel time with the flights about 8 hours. Others said the would drive next time or revert back to the train. It's damning to hear the few people who have taken the route saying they wouldn't do it again. But quite rightly who in their tiny mind would think this is a sustainable or enjoyable alternative to taking the train or driving?

Flybe are pushing this as a real alternative to the train and reaching London which is what they have to do since there is no interline agreement at this stage. The problem is, the majority of people will find it a stressful farce & soon you won't even have the option to fly there & back in a day with all but the morning flight getting the chop.

For the sake of its Employees I truly want Flybe to succeed & for the sake of LBA I want a regular/reliable London connection that also has an interline agreement. I just can not see this route surviving at all, it would struggle even pre Covid so when you add in the poor airport experience & stress involved you have to ask why you would choose to do this.

It's sad because the only element of the journey Flybe have direct control over... "the flight" was pleasant & on time.

Marketing for the route has not been adequate, an interline agreement(s) are essential & ensuring a fast track facility at both airports is a must for business commuters to take this route seriously.

My experience with the Flybe Heathrow service & the problems... sorry its a big read :LOL:

Flew to LHR last week, security line was back to hall B but staff remain pro-active in pulling people from the line with imminent departures.

Flybe customers get fast track but this is not very well published, I only saw mention via the odd ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- post from LBA. Happy to be corrected if it is promoted elsewhere.

Got to the airport at 0515 for the 0645 departure as arriving 3 hours before for a domestic shuttle taking 40 minutes would be silly, may as well get the train instead. Through to departures in about 20 minutes thanks to the fast track lane & I don't know how anyone can spend more than an hour in that departure lounge. Grim, overcrowded & filthy.

Lovely to fly the Dash again, the soft cabin refurbishment is smart and the interior was nice & clean. Terrible load factor, perhaps 15 by my count and some of those onboard clearly enthusiasts - which is lovely but indicative that even fewer people are actually using this service for business or connectivity.

Returned a few days later, online check in so no need to visit the desk or drop a bag - the evening service back to LBA at 2045.

Terminal 2 was very busy, fast track lane was closed & I don't think there is any agreement with Flybe to provide the Fast Track facility at LHR in any case. The line snaked outside the front of the Queens Terminal with staff wearing pink vests directing customers. Joined the line at 1915 and told it would take just 15 minutes (believe that when we see it we thought). Essentially, there was a queue for a queue to join the actual queue and periodically the staff stopped customers walking to check in desks to let more people transition to the next stage of the queue for the queue.

Herein lies the problem when people are not proactive at managing chaos, in the line there was people not flying for 2,3 sometimes 4 hours. Literally the last flights leaving T2 that evening. We very quickly deduced that it would take more like 1 hour to reach the front of the line and actually go through security. We saw people leaving the queue and calling friends saying they would not make it & understandably getting rather upset. The staff just kept smiling when asked if there was enough time "oh yes"...

In the end we had to speak to a Staff member of Swissport who handle Flybe, he (after some explanation of what he needed to be doing)... managed to get us to the front of the queue for the boarding card scanner. It was now 2000 & we find another queue to actually filter into the security lanes, we gave it another 15 minutes and realized this was not going to work either, so had to speak to another member of staff & explain our flight was now boarding. After some deliberation he allowed us to go to a lane & we reached our boarding gate at 2030. In total it took 3 separate conversations with staff to make our flight before the gate closed. One last customer made the flight, he also had to beg his way through security through a sea of people with hours to kill.

Only about 11 people on the flight up, lovely chatty Cabin Crew who demonstrated a lot of empathy when listening to how stressful the experience was at LHR. Unfortunately, everyone around me said the same thing basically "never again" .. or words to that effect. There was a lady that had spent 3 hours at LBA that morning to go down to LHR, attend a meeting and then spent another 3 hours in the terminal at LHR. Total travel time with the flights about 8 hours. Others said the would drive next time or revert back to the train. It's damning to hear the few people who have taken the route saying they wouldn't do it again. But quite rightly who in their tiny mind would think this is a sustainable or enjoyable alternative to taking the train or driving?

Flybe are pushing this as a real alternative to the train and reaching London which is what they have to do since there is no interline agreement at this stage. The problem is, the majority of people will find it a stressful farce & soon you won't even have the option to fly there & back in a day with all but the morning flight getting the chop.

For the sake of its Employees I truly want Flybe to succeed & for the sake of LBA I want a regular/reliable London connection that also has an interline agreement. I just can not see this route surviving at all, it would struggle even pre Covid so when you add in the poor airport experience & stress involved you have to ask why you would choose to do this.

It's sad because the only element of the journey Flybe have direct control over... "the flight" was pleasant & on time.

Marketing for the route has not been adequate, an interline agreement(s) are essential & ensuring a fast track facility at both airports is a must for business commuters to take this route seriously.
As I have said before I think it would be preferable to suspend the route until staffing issues are resolved AND they have an interline agreement.

LHR has always been a pain in the backside as far as I'm concerned which is why I used AMS when I travelled a lot. More recently LHR didn't load my luggage on a connecting flight from NCL to ATH and the queues for security was so horrendous coming back, even when transferring, that people (including ourselves) were picked from the queue or boarding would have been missed. Thanks for that at least BA. That was before Covid too so I can imagine what imagineif went through. LHR - no thanks. I'm glad I'm not flying frequently now given the stories coming out of AMS at the moment as it seems they will be soon catching up with LHR in the inconvenience stakes

As I have said before I think it would be preferable to suspend the route until staffing issues are resolved AND they have an interline agreement.
Why cancel it. I know they haven’t been all reliable with the cancellations and delays but surely suspending the route will put peoples trust even further downhill where they will take alternative travel such as LNER and then the route won’t be sustainable anymore where it’s not worth operating?

Well it shouldn’t be to long until Flybe take delivery of their next aircraft. G-FLBA flew to Malta recently so i expect it not to be to long until that enters service.

Why cancel it. I know they haven’t been all reliable with the cancellations and delays but surely suspending the route will put peoples trust even further downhill where they will take alternative travel such as LNER and then the route won’t be sustainable anymore where it’s not worth operating?
Because everything is stacked against Flybe at the moment and I think the longer term viability of the service would be improved by a suspension until the issues I mentioned are resolved. The codeshare is particularly important as the service will never be viable without one. Point to point traffic will never be sufficient.

Because everything is stacked against Flybe at the moment and I think the longer term viability of the service would be improved by a suspension until the issues I mentioned are resolved. The codeshare is particularly important as the service will never be viable without one. Point to point traffic will never be sufficient.
I get the points that you have made and agree a codeshare would be useful. however I still don’t agree with it being suspended as that will put peoples trust in the airline down the drain where in future it won’t be worth operating anymore

Delicate balancing act here. There is a need to maintain customer confidence so only keeping the route operating would do that. But they can’t haemorrhage money for ever. I think we will know soon enough as they will need to release w22/23 schedules fairly soon. BHD does seem to be doing ok though so sure we will keep BE at LBA. I wonder if LBA-SOU twice a day may be more attractive than LHR. LBA is generally a glaring opportunity for BE. I know we keep saying about the potential - it’s such a shame no one seems to want to take the gamble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock