I think my father had an affinity towards Italy after serving there during the war .
I can remember little of my trip there as I was only 3 or 4. I do recall hopping about on hot sand, having a ride in a cable car and going on a white knuckle drive on a mountain road 5 up in a VW beetle owned by an Italian guy called Alvaro who my dad had met on the first holiday! Oh and as I have mentioned before playing with my dinky cars on the Viscount.

I hadn't been working for many years in 1964. At that time my immediate boss used to take his family to Rimini on holiday each year - not a million miles from Cattolica.

I hadn't been working for many years in 1964. At that time my immediate boss used to take his family to Rimini on holiday each year - not a million miles from Cattolica.
I do remember my dad saying that it had been a close call as to whether we would have to divert to another airport as the runway at Rimini was being resurfaced and the work was running slightly behind schedule. In the end we managed to get in ok. I also remember him telling me a few years later when I understood a little more about aeronautical matters that the stall warning alarm had sounded a couple of times which was a little worrying.

View attachment 8861 View attachment 8862 DIdnt know where to post these as there not bhx related but are connected with Birmingham. Came across these while sorting out things at my late mums. They are paperwork concerning a holiday my Dad took my sister on in 1964. My mum and myself (aged18 months)stayed at home. He either must have either felt guilty or got a lot of grief over it because we all went out there a couple of years later! Shame theres no paperwork because that time we did fly from elmdon.
The simplicity and personal nature of it all back then. Now everything is digital and bland...and not always convenient. A great example of customer services that many of today's airlines should take notice of.

Rimini was at one point the place to visit back in the 70s. To some extent the Costa's of Italy. Now the airport handles mainly seasonal charters to eastern Europe. Shame. I suppose Bologna has grown to be the airport of choice for the region.

The best bit for me apart from it's a personal letter is the fact it was obvious typed on a proper type writer, if you've ever tried to use one you will realise why there were such things as typing pools in the past, how times change.

A great video from a 40 minute flight on Concorde from Birmingham to Heathrow including shots of landing taken from the car park.

British Airways 737's, Britannia 757's, take off with the cockpit door open and pilots walking along mid flight talking to the passengers. How times have changed :(

The video was taken by Ian Austin so full credit is given to him and the person who uploaded it to Youtube.

Does anyone have any memories about the security exercise that took place at BHX in the early 80's?

I can remember walking our dog on the golf course and finding a section of fencing down, when two VERY well camouflaged gents carrying rifles told me (not so politely) to go away back where I had come from. Various helicopters heard well into the night and rather a large amount of disruption to the Airport in general. The father of a friend of mine was working as a security guard on the Elmdon site and was approached by two gents one of whom advised him that he should consider himself "dead" after being shot by a sniper! He was told not to answer his radio or phone for the next two hours (and they watched over him to make sure he carried out their request). Anyone else remember this exercise?

Does anyone have any memories about the security exercise that took place at BHX in the early 80's?

I can remember walking our dog on the golf course and finding a section of fencing down, when two VERY well camouflaged gents carrying rifles told me (not so politely) to go away back where I had come from. Various helicopters heard well into the night and rather a large amount of disruption to the Airport in general. The father of a friend of mine was working as a security guard on the Elmdon site and was approached by two gents one of whom advised him that he should consider himself "dead" after being shot by a sniper! He was told not to answer his radio or phone for the next two hours (and they watched over him to make sure he carried out their request). Anyone else remember this exercise?[/QUOTE
It may have been the SAS exercise on the viscount that was on the fire training area. SAS scouts helicopters were used.

Hi all, here are some pictures I took around BHX on my holiday to Fuerteventura back in 2008.

View attachment 11761
Air India 777 VT-AIJ

View attachment 11762
Thomas Cook Boeing 757-200. Note the old ATC tower in the background.

View attachment 11763
British Airways turboprop plane (unsure what type it is)

More pics coming in the next post.

Looks like a Dornier Aircraft, awesome pics Vinny (y)

Miss the old ATC tower, if only it was twice as tall it could still be around today :unsure:

Dornier 328 of Sun Air I think maybe operating a short lived service to Bilund or Gothenburg? Not sure but BA franchise though.

Dornier 328 of Sun Air I think maybe operating a short lived service to Bilund or Gothenburg? Not sure but BA franchise though.
It's possible it operated routes to Billing or Gothenburg much like Manchester does now, or it may have been a divert. Who knows.

Its always great to see the BA tail at BHX, for me it's one of the best liveries out there.

Looks like a Dornier Aircraft, awesome pics Vinny (y)

Miss the old ATC tower, if only it was twice as tall it could still be around today :unsure:
Thanks, I think the new ATC is always great to see when flying out of BHX. Especially with the Flybe logo on it, it so cool to photograph aircraft with the ATC in the background.

Just to be a bit pedantic wasn't the ATC tower and control always in the original terminal building right up until the new one was opened?
The tower in the current terminal was used purely for apron/ground movements until expansion of the terminal rendered it obsolete.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock