Is Mrs F already getting ready for your forthcoming trip Ray ? I know this is one of her favourite places at BHX as well as the shops, he he he :ROFLMAO:

Credit card at the ready

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Most definitely.

My card is usually already smoking by the time we leave World Duty Free, then Bottega comes in to view :oops:

I'm a simple man and much prefer a simple pint of ale in Wetherspoons :)

WHSmith in T1 is closed for a refit, they seem to be working their way through them.

The Luggage Shop next door had everything in boxes being loaded into a trolley, are they closing for good or also having a refit?

The only airside smoking facility is now closed.
The area,next to the Factory bar and restaurant has been closed as the area is prepared for the terminal improvements.
Any nervous fliers or heavy smokers will need to feed their habit before entering the terminal building and checking in.
I am not aware of any plans to open a new area for smokers airside,so if any flights get badly delayed,it will be interesting to see if smokers will be allowed back out to the landslide area.Currently this is not allowed so I cannot see that policy changing.

A quick update to the airside goings on.
Two units are now closed for refurbishment.They are the sunglasses unit opposite Dixon’s,and the WHSmith unit on the international pier.
One new unit has opened behind Pret A Mangre,this is a Rituals skincare boutique.Therefore if you want an update to your look before heading off to your destination, now is the time to do it.

Guess its a news item !

BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT WELCOMES NEW STORE RITUALS
Luxurious lifestyle brand, Rituals, has opened a new premium boutique in Birmingham Airport’s north departure lounge. Rituals’ philosophy is to help you slow down, to find happiness in the smallest things and to turn everyday routines into more meaningful moments. With the introduction of this new store in such a busy terminal, the brand hopes to bring this message to the many travellers passing through the airport.

The Rituals store offers a vast range of its signature, bath, body and home care products, as well as travel retail exclusive gift sets that can be enjoyed by customers travelling from the airport. For customers that have a little longer time to spend in the store, staff are on hand to offer a complimentary Rituals hand and arm massage whilst sipping on a cup of organic Rituals tea. The new store features a beautiful Sakura tree which takes centre stage in the store. This statement Sakura tree is complemented by the spacious and calming atmosphere that has been created for customers.

Rituals products are inspired by the wisdom and ancient traditions of Eastern cultures, offering passengers an extensive collection of luxurious yet affordable products.

Richard Gill, Commercial Director of Birmingham Airport commenting on the new store said: “We are delighted to welcome Rituals as a partner of Birmingham Airport. This new store, which is such a recognised brand, will ensure that customers can experience a calming shopping experience pre-flight with luxury wellness products at affordable prices."

Neil Ebbut, Rituals Director of Travel retail, said: "This latest opening at Birmingham Airport continues the fantastic momentum we're experiencing in Europe travel retail this year and follows a string of store openings in the region. We look forward to delivering the full rituals 'Slow Down' experience and hallmark personalised service to passengers at Birmingham Airport."

Although I have posted the above story in the BHX thread,it is relevant to all airports.
Airport shopping outlets aren’t to everyone’s liking,but as the story says,they are a valuable source of income.
The smaller airports in particular rely on retail units to boost income,as well as a providing work for hundreds of people.

I have worked in airport retail at BHX for over 25 years.I have been furloughed since March,and I was hoping I would be back at work in October.This news is very worrying for myself as well as my friends and colleagues at BHX,as well as thousands of other airport retail workers across the country.
Leaving the EU was actually supposed to be good for duty free sales in particular,especially as restrictions would have been lifted with regards to passengers being able to buy liquor and tobacco products.Travelling within the EU,these items would not have been available at duty free prices.However after January 1st,only people on domestic flights would have had these restrictions.
While duty free liquor and tobacco products will still be available to all except domestic passengers,all other products will not be at tax free or discounted prices.
Fragrance,skin care products and food items make up a big proportion of duty free sales,so this decision seems extremely strange.

I hope that those responsible for making these decisions have a rethink.
The consequences for jobs and airports as a whole could be dire.

It appears to be a tax recovery measure to fill that huge hole in Treasury finances. Duty is often not considered a tax as it is a spending levy rather than income related. Disposable income is already taxed via income and NI and spending is VAT liable, even if at 0%. This leaves duties payable on products considered luxuries or not essential though this an open debate as to whether fuel duty is levied on a non essential good.

However one feels, money needs to be raised directly from citizens and short term measures are necessary. The autumn statement and budget will elaborate I am certain. I always remember that Duty Free equals Tax Avoidance with Government blessings. It is a gift!

I understand that finances have to be recovered,but surely a balance has to be found.
Regaining money against making hundreds or maybe a couple of thousand people redundant does not make much sense right now.
Are we not trying to get the economy back up and running?????

Now I am back at work,sort of semi full time.I thought I would update you all on the goings on in the retail sector at BHX.
As more destinations become available,and more flights added,our airports should start to look a little more like their old selves in the coming months,hopefully.We all know this is far from certain,but the good news is BHX and other airports are gradually bringing back more staff,and therefore seeing more of the retail units reopen.

As far as landslde is concerned,I know Boots and the WHSmith in the link area between the terminals and the Costa coffee are open throughout the day.
I will update further on the other units when I know for definite their current status.

Airside.

The Duty Free store is currently open between 4:00am and 8:00pm daily.I believe Saturdays may be the odd day out as it appears to close at 6:00pm,as there are so few flights on that day.
As more flights are added,then trading times may well change to suit,however,it could also go the other way depending on rules and regulations etc.
Dixon’s is open throughout the day atm.Not entirely sure what the situation is ,as I thought the travel stores were closing due to the change in tax free shopping rules.Again,I will keep my eyes on that one.
Boots and the main WHSmith stores are open through most of the day.The WHS on the slope coming down from the security area,is currently closed.However it seems they are preparing the store for reopening very soon.
Wetherspoons,Burgerking,Costa and Pret are trading through most of the day.
The Giraffe,Factory Bar and Kitchen and All Bar One remain closed for now.
Accessorize,JD sports and Next are open through the day.I think 6:00am is the main opening times for these units,while everyone else opens between 4:00am and 6:00am.

Anyone travelling through BHX,still has a reasonable choice of food and drink outlets,Both Landside and Airside.
Opening times will vary,depending on flight patterns and any further restrictions being implemented.
Always best to check websites if there is a specific need for individuals or their families while travelling through airports in general.

I hope anyone who is lucky enough to be travelling through BHX in the coming days and weeks will find this information helpful.
I will try and keep you all updated if anything of note happens or is added.

Hi all,a quick update for the goings on airside at BHX.

The WHSmith store between security and the Duty Free store is now open again.Not sure of the opening time, but it does close around 6pm.
The Duty Free store has extended it's opening hours till 10pm.
The Dixons store has now closed.Probably due to the change in tax free shopping rules at airports in the UK.
Most of the restaurants and refreshment units are open again,at least for most of the daytime.
The only exception seems to be All Bar One in the south terminal/Eurohub.
The rest of the airside offerings are as it was from my previous post.

The only Landside development that i am aware of is the World Duty Free arrivals store has reopened.09:15- 17:15 are the trading hours for the time being.

Could forum regulars let me know if they find this info useful.If so,i will continue with any relevent updates when i get chance.

SOHO Coffee Co. is now open in departures. The article suggests that we are to see a second site at some point during 2023.

Grab a bite before AND for your flight! SOHO Coffee Co. is now open at Birmingham Airport with their latest brand format

Local brand SOHO Coffee Co. is delighted to have opened its latest store in the Birmingham Airport Departure Lounge as part of its continuous growth strategy within the travel sector.

So much more than coffee, SOHO’s focus on developing great hot food to hit all day parts is a key factor in its success as an airport partner. A strong hot breakfast offer, coupled with excellent triple-certified coffee, perfectly meets the requirements of travellers.

SOHO Coffee Co. Managing Director, Penny Manuel explained:

“Birmingham Airport has been number 1 on our target list to open a SOHO for some time. I am delighted the airport shares our view that SOHO is just right for travellers looking for great food with quick service. We are a local brand well established in the West Midlands – the airport is the perfect addition to our portfolio.

SOHO at Birmingham will strongly deliver on the brand’s promise to offer “something for everyone”. Guests will be able to look forward to choosing their favourites, including SOHO’s proper breakfast butties, generously topped giant spuds, sourdough toasties with secret SOHO sauce, and a great range of ‘unbelievably’ vegan food & drinks.

Not stopping at hot, guests can choose from the full SOHO range of freshly baked baguettes, sandwiches and wraps, fruit and birchers to enjoy in-store or take on-board. SOHO high-street regulars will see all their old favourites alongside new lines developed especially for Birmingham including hot grain pots and savouries.

Creating great new opportunities for local employment, Penny Manuel went on to say:

“Our shared commitment to community investment and sustainability serve to strengthen our future partnership with Birmingham Airport; we are pleased to have created 40+ job opportunities and looking forward to investing in the team to provide new skills and long-term career opportunities.”

With a second site expected to open in 2023, SOHO Coffee Co. is looking forward to continuing building a relationship with the Birmingham Airport team and further developing its travel sector portfolio.

Richard Gill, Commercial Director of Birmingham Airport commenting on the opening said: “It is great to welcome SOHO Coffee Co. to the airport. With its central location within the departure lounge, and its extensive choice of eat in and take away items, our customers will be able to treat themselves before they jet off on their trips.

“We are currently working on our next exciting opening with SOHO Coffee Co. that we expect to open in 2023.”

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock