U

User0001

As of 1st June 2012, Emirates will change the daily 2 class B777-300 for a 3 class B777-300.

As a result of this, First class is available on the route for the first time, and, due to the decrease in economy seats, I fully expect a 2nd daily flight to be launched for a 2012 start. (likely to be September-October 2012)

Good news for Glasgow. Does Emirates operate into Edinburgh as well or just Glasgow?

Good news for Glasgow. Does Emirates operate into Edinburgh as well or just Glasgow?

There is no Edinburgh service by Emirates to Dubai.

Currently Emirates operates to these UK airports from/to Dubai:

Heathrow 5 x daily
Gatwick 3 x daily
Manchester 3 x daily
Birmingham 2 x daily
Glasgow 1 x daily
Newcastle 1 x daily

It would certainly be good news for Scottish passengers if GLA did find itself with a second daily flight.

Flexibility of departure times enables a much greater spread of the world to be accessed via Dubai without having to wait there for inordinate lengths of time awaiting a connecting flight.

As of 1st June 2012, Emirates will change the daily 2 class B777-300 for a 3 class B777-300.

As a result of this, First class is available on the route for the first time, and, due to the decrease in economy seats, I fully expect a 2nd daily flight to be launched for a 2012 start. (likely to be September-October 2012)

user001 was right.

A second daily Glasgow-Dubai will commence on 1 June 2012 using A 340 equipment.

I believe these are being phased out by EK so it probably won't be long before 777s operate both rotations on the 2 x daily route.

Just to confirm!!

Emirates add second daily flight from Glasgow

Glasgow Airport received a major boost yesterday when Emirates announced it will introduce a second daily non-stop flight to Dubai from June 1. The move is a result of continued growth in demand for seats on the route. Emirates says the move will add up to 12 new direct jobs and indirectly support many others with its contracted suppliers, as well as generating millions in visitor revenue.

Since it started in 2004, the airline has carried more than 1.7 million passengers and over 46 million kilos of cargo from Glasgow to and from the Middle East and beyond. The additional flight, coupled with an aircraft upgrade on the existing service, will increase Emirates capacity to and from Glasgow by 47 percent, providing an extra 398 seats a day (199 each way). It will provide an extra 13 tonnes of daily cargo capacity - a 59 per cent increase on existing volumes. Emirates will also introduce a first class cabin on both daily services.

A spokesman for the airline said: ‘This announcement illustrates our commitment to Scotland in difficult economic times. Our Glasgow route has been a success story, and we are confident that there is the demand for additional services flying east to Dubai and onward via our global network of over 115 destinations. The service brings real benefits to Scotland's economy and its international competitiveness.'

‘The introduction of a first class cabin on both daily flights also means greater choice for passengers, and increased cargo capacity means more export business opportunities for cargo shippers in Scotland.'

The current lunchtime departure to Dubai will be supplemented by an overnight service, taking off at 21:30. The second flight would improve connections to countries such as New Zealand, where passengers are currently put up in a hotel during a 12-hour stopover in Dubai. Seven in ten passengers on the Glasgow flights travel on from Dubai further east.

Source

[offtopic]Slightly off topic but newcastle is also under review for a second daily flight.[/offtopic]

Scott said:
Anyone know what variant of the A340 it's going to be?

Not sure which variant it will be because they operate 200, 300 and the 500 series but the 200 and 300 series seems more plausible.

Aviador said:
Scott said:
Anyone know what variant of the A340 it's going to be?

Not sure which variant it will be because they operate 200, 300 and the 500 series but the 200 and 300 series seems more plausible.

They no longer operate the 200 series, also the 300 series is to be phased out by December of this year, so you will be looking at the 500 series to operate the route.

What sort of aircraft was it Scott? Can Glasgow accommodate the A380 yet?

It was B77W, A6-EGE.

Glasgow is not A380 ready.

ray finkle said:
Glasgow and Barcelona on the radar as Emirates next A380 destinations according to Tim Clark.

Clark said Barcelona and Glasgow are the next A380 destinations on Emirates’ radar.

Bottom of the article.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/ne ... ID=1378224

Now that would be the best thing to happen in my life! But as far as I'm aware Glasgow isn't A380 ready... also can the A380 use Glasgow's 8,743ft runway? It would be amazing to see as I think Glasgow does well enough for them to get good loads, but can they get it in?

I think it falls within requirements, not forgetting Dubai is a relatively short journey for an A380 from GLA so it wouldn't require a full fuel load. The airport would need to make the necessary changes to the taxiways, apron and stands to accommodate the aircraft.

Ray Finkle said:
Glasgow will see a one off A380 on April 10th to mark the 10th anniversary of Emirates.

Emirates will operate the one-off flight from Glasgow Airport on 10th April 2014 to celebrate a decade of carrying Scotland’s passengers to Dubai and beyond.

Full article: http://www.glasgowairport.com/about-us/ ... 80-service

Looks like last years "one off" flight was a proving flight as Emirates have apparently said they are considering using the A380 from Glasgow International Airport.

Airbus A380 for Glasgow-Dubai route not ruled out

There are 'no firm plans' to bring in the Airbus A380 at Glasgow but it could be considered as an expansion option.
EMIRATES may consider introducing the world’s largest passenger plane for flights from a Scottish airport “if conditions are right”.

It was back in 2013 that Tim Clark said Glasgow and Barcelona were both 'on the radar' for an A380 service. I wonder if the arrivals of Qatar and soon Etihad at EDI have influenced Emirates into bringing the 'A380 factor' to GLA in retaliation.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock