Had it confirmed by the airport today that only Stuttgart and Düsseldorf available as direct German routes this year. Disappointingly Berlin has gone and Frankfurt with Ryanair.. the latter I know was a route they were keen to cement. A blow one would feel to overall numbers and network. I doubt the 4 x daily Heathrow flights will compensate for the numbers... I think I also mentioned that any hopefull further Ryanair activity might be stalled now they are at Exeter..
That's extremely disappointing. Wasn't Stuttgart the last German route to begin at NQY? At least it and DUS seem to be doing all right.

Is the Rosamund Pilcher effect with German visitors wearing off?

Surely if they setup base at Exeter, they could extend flights to Newquay if the demand for it was there at the right price?
A base may not be needed with Ryanair. In the CWL Ryanair thread Severn pointed out that Newcastle which is not a base has more flights and destinations than Bournemouth which is a base.

With its circa 90 bases Ryanair is well placed to provide many airports that are not bases with a very decent network.

Even at a base like Bristol which has a complement of four aircraft, the number of routes operated by non-based aircraft equates to a 6/7 aircraft BRS base. The non-based aircraft also help to spread the load as they tend to operate out of the peaks although that might not be too much of a consideration for NQY.

That's extremely disappointing. Wasn't Stuttgart the last German route to begin at NQY? At least it and DUS seem to be doing all right.

Is the Rosamund Pilcher effect with German visitors wearing off?
Maybe.. although I think Cornwall is popular full stop with the Germans.. whether flying to Cornwall is though might be a different matter.. I think it’s a shame ..

Interesting press release from NQY looking back at 2018 and ahead to 2019.

https://www.cornwallairportnewquay..../new-routes-new-airlines-and-new-tech-for-can

A busy 2018 at Cornwall Airport Newquay (CAN) saw a number of new routes announced, including the much anticipated link into an international hub, London Heathrow; StobartAir adding London Southend (under the Flybe franchise) to its portfolio of routes; and a new airline partner, Scandinavian flag carrier, SAS, introducing a new link to Copenhagen. There was also an increase in passenger numbers in the winter months with Ryanair extending its popular Alicante service to a year-round operation as well as technological advances in both the passenger check-in process and onsite car parks.

The year ended on a high with passenger numbers up 20% year-on-year in November and 7.3% in December compared with 2017. 450,000 passengers used the Airport with projections for overall passenger growth by the end of the financial year meaning a 5th consecutive year of growth.

Last year saw the Airport make some exciting announcements for both new and existing customers. New charter holiday provider Superbreak announced short breaks to Iceland (Q1 2019) which was enthusiastically received by customers. This continued with Ryanair’s extension of the Alicante summer route becoming year-round, offering a much demanded winter sun destination from Newquay.

Eurowings added to the Airport’s strong German portfolio with new routes, improving the connections for European tourists, an added bonus for many local businesses. This growth within the Eurowings offering gave Scandinavian airline SAS the confidence to announce a new Copenhagen route, bringing the opportunity for further inbound tourism into Cornwall from the Danish and wider Scandinavian market.

Managing Director Al Titterington comments: “We’ve had some fantastic new routes announced over the last year. The Copenhagen route has already proved popular with the Danish market, with flight dates being extended before the first flight has even landed!”

“With our German routes already bringing new visitors into Cornwall, it is hoped that we see this replicated with Scandinavian customers and will continue to grow the international passengers keen to see more of our beautiful county. With our new connection to London Heathrow starting in March this year, we hope that we will see far more tourists from further afield, such as the USA and Asia, who can now easily connect to Cornwall via Heathrow.”

The announcement in November of the new Heathrow route came after many years of hard work by the Airport team. The Heathrow route running four times daily has been welcomed by business users travelling to London, who can now be in the city centre in just 15 minutes from Heathrow’s terminal 2, or hop straight on the underground network. The connection will also prove invaluable for local passengers wishing to connect to international destinations.

“Titterington continues: “Whilst 2019 may bring some challenges to the aviation industry, we are looking forward to continuing to grow and improve our Airport in the interests of the people of Cornwall”

I've 'liked' jfy1999's post for the information it provides, not the slightly depressing actual information itself.

Recent press report saying that councillors want to explore the idea of NQY becoming a freeport in the event of a Brexit with no deal or a deal that does not involve a customs union. A few weeks ago there was another press article saying that up to six UK sea ports might become freeports in such circumstances.

I would have thought NQY as where it is is way too far from major industry to handle big numbers of freight,as it would involve quite a few hgv journeys to get freight some where close to industry.Good luck to them for looking at other ways getting airport more busy.

I would have thought NQY as where it is is way too far from major industry to handle big numbers of freight,as it would involve quite a few hgv journeys to get freight some where close to industry.Good luck to them for looking at other ways getting airport more busy.

That's true but free ports also confer other advantages, particularly the absence of such things as tariffs and customs duties that can benefit a local economy.

I said in my previous post that the current government was looking to create up to six free ports if Brexit occurs with no deal or one that does not involve a customs union. I've checked again and it's ten, not six. Avonmouth/Royal Portbury was mentioned as being on the list in a local press report a few weeks ago, so we would have to wait to see whether there would be two in the South West, not that too many Cornish folk regard Bristol as being in the South West. They reckon it's in the south Midlands.

Just putting it out there but wondered if anyone has any thoughts on NQY landing anymore international routes?
totally believe there would be demand for one or two.
not to dilute Exeter but I have wondered if TUI might be tempted on maybe a W pattern route or two.
Tenerife, Palma, Malaga and or Las Palmas would be popular and looking at recent surveys, would be requested choices of the Cornish public.

Just putting it out there but wondered if anyone has any thoughts on NQY landing anymore international routes?
totally believe there would be demand for one or two.
not to dilute Exeter but I have wondered if TUI might be tempted on maybe a W pattern route or two.
Tenerife, Palma, Malaga and or Las Palmas would be popular and looking at recent surveys, would be requested choices of the Cornish public.
NQY's annual passenger total isn't a great deal less than Norwich's and they have a TUI presence.

2020.... will we get something new?
With the MAX problems, the Thomas Cook gaps and Brexit, growth at a number of airports is being cut back a bit. NQY seems to be seeing a bit of route growth in 2020 with Loganair.

On another forum it's been reported that Flybe will be announcing some additional route news next week. Whether this means new routes to some airports or expansion of existing frequencies to some and whether NQY will feature remains to be seen.

Flybe have the uk pretty well covered from NQY.. in fact I’d say that NQY is one of the best connected UK airports between late spring and autumn..
We do down here need that extra sun route. Both Faro and Alicante do really well.. case in point, flights are very really that cheap and flights pretty well full.. not grumbling because it’s great to fly local. The CEO is moving on next year.. will be interesting to see who comes in and what they might eye as potential opportunities...

Disappointing for NQY but the engineering work will remain in Cornwall. If that's what it takes to keep the airline operating then it's a small price to pay.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock