I've unfortunately never been there, but id like to, been to all other SW airports, except Lands End. Do you think BOH is in better shape now than it was pre 2001 or about the same? I always think it's a shame when some of these long standing commercial airports are having a seemingly tough time.
I honestly don't know what BOH was like before and I've never been there. I can only say that a Ryanair base and a new terminal can only be positives. Though I wonder if BOH might not have been as successful as MAG had hoped?

I suppose BOH is not such a business city as EXT or SOU.....so suffer because of that, but it does have a long runway

I think with BOH it benefits from the restrictions that SOU has is able to offer leisure/holiday type flights for the Bournemouth/Poole/Portsmouth/Southampton area, which i believe has about 2 million people in it. In the long term with MAG gone the key will be keeping the Ryanair base, the one slight worry is that the owners i don't believe have a relationship with Ryanair from any of their other airports. The bonus they have though is that the area is quite wealthy and it has the Southampton cruise port nearby as well.

The is a local travel company with a number of branches called Bath Travel, they used to operate their own charters from Bournemouth , the airline was well respected an was called Palmair.

I've heard them mentioned on the other forum if they start charter flights again that's great but and it's only my opinion, for the airport to keep growing they need to keep a good relationship with Ryanair and get them growing again, BOH is in a unique position as i doubt there are many airports in Europe under the 1 million passenger mark with a Ryanair base.

Interesting that BOH's new owners also own EXT (it was widely predicted). A decade ago when EXT was being sold by the local authority the owners of Bristol Airport became preferred bidders. The great and the good of Devon kicked up a tremendous fuss as they feared BRS would run EXT down when there seems little doubt that the intention was to use it to complement BRS, and had it gone through it's highly likely that EXT would be handling closer to 2 mppa today instead of 900,000. The then OFT and the EC became involved looking at competition issues following South West MEP complaints - the same MEPs who also had a responsibility for the Bristol area so their actions always struck me as being uneven handed - as a result of which the BRS owners withdrew.

It would seem then that the MEPs and others don't view BOH as the same sort of threat to EXT as they viewed BRS.

I suppose that Hurn's great days were at the end of and immediately after the Second World War when Britain's main wartime land airport, Bristol Whitchurch, became too small for the new types of aircraft and operations were switched to Bournemouth.

BOH does have a large reservoir of mainly older, well-off people with the propensity to travel. It has a bigger field than SOU with a longer runway but doesn't have the former's ease of surface connectivity with its rail station.

EXT doesn't seem to have seen a startling renaissance since the Rigby Group took over ownership - it has seen steady but fairly conservative growth over the past two years after a dreadful five years following the recession when annual passenger numbers slipped from over 1 mppa to sub 700,000 at one point.

BOH experienced a similar fall in passenger numbers but hasn't enjoyed the same rate of recovery as EXT.

Time will tell whether the new owners can do what MAG has failed to do since the recession.

CAA Stats for October 2017
69,098 passengers passed through the airport up 0.3% on last year. The rolling year is 695,953 up 4.0% on last year.

Superbreak have added more one off flights to new destinations for next year from Bournemouth.This is what is onsale already.
Montenegro, Croatia and Adriatic Coast. 4 night break departs September 24th and returns 28th September .

Verona, Venice and Lake Garda. 4 night break departs 30th April and returns 4th May.

Malta: Mdina and Gozo. 4 night break departs 28th May and returns 1st June.

Madeira: Funchal and Islands experience. 7 night stay departs 19th October and returns 26th October.

CAA Stats January 2018

31,379 passengers through the terminal, down 4.9% on January 2017. Atms were down 5.3%. Rolling 12-month total was 692,350, up 3.3% on a year ago.

As for the heavy snow currently causing mayhem at airports across the UK and further afield in Europe and Ireland, there was a notice on the BOH website a few minutes ago saying the airport is closed.

Only three rotations were scheduled today anyway: easyJet Geneva, Ryanair Krakow and TUI Tenerife. The first two were cancelled with a note saying the TUI that is scheduled to arrive at 1830 is delayed until 0036 on Saturday.

Summer 2018

TUI adding Heraklion, Kefalonia and Antalya.

CAA Stats February 2018

31,771 passengers used the terminal, down 5.3% on February 2017. Atms were down 10.7%. Rolling 12-month total was 690,557, up 2.1% on a year ago.

CAA Stats - Passenger Figures for the calendar year of 2017

I've listed below the numbers on the BOH routes, with the perentage loss or gain compared with 2016. I hadn't realised that BOH now has no domestic routes, apart from ad hoc flights. 693,977 passengers passed through the terminal in 2017.

Palma 95,093 -17%
Malaga 73,594 -12%
Faro 53,928 -1%
Alicante 53,607 -17%
Tenerife 45,403 -5%
Murcia 36,959 -13%
Arrecife 36,879 +59%
Girona 36,094 -18%
Gran Canaria 36,024 +2%
Geneva 33,605 +18%
Krakow 33,259 +434%
Malta 31,829 +14%
Paphos 13,711 -3%
Mahon 9,466 +14%
Rhodes 9,167 unchanged
Naples 8,991 +1168%
Ibiza 8,971 unchanged
Corfu 7,978 +4%
Dalaman 6,080 -62%
Turin 3,003 +8%
Bridgetown 2,159 -3%
Ivalo 706 -1% Santa Christmas route
Enontekio 378 +2% Santa Christmas route
Kittila 371 -1% Santa Christmas route

There were also ad hoc and one-off charter flights to these airports:

Vienna, Lyon, Nantes, Nice, Toulon, Munich,
Niederrhein, Dublin, Bari, Venice, Verona, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Valencia, Kiruna, Pajalla Yllas, Visby, Bergen, Tromsoe, Gatwick, Luton, Belfast City, Cardiff, Durham Tees Valley, East Midlands, Glasgow, Humberside, Leeds-Bradford, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle .

CAA Stats - Passenger Figures for the calendar year of 2017

I've listed below the numbers on the BOH routes, with the perentage loss or gain compared with 2016. I hadn't realised that BOH now has no domestic routes, apart from ad hoc flights. 693,977 passengers passed through the terminal in 2017.

Palma 95,093 -17%
Malaga 73,594 -12%
Faro 53,928 -1%
Alicante 53,607 -17%
Tenerife 45,403 -5%
Murcia 36,959 -13%
Arrecife 36,879 +59%
Girona 36,094 -18%
Gran Canaria 36,024 +2%
Geneva 33,605 +18%
Krakow 33,259 +434%
Malta 31,829 +14%
Paphos 13,711 -3%
Mahon 9,466 +14%
Rhodes 9,167 unchanged
Naples 8,991 +1168%
Ibiza 8,971 unchanged
Corfu 7,978 +4%
Dalaman 6,080 -62%
Turin 3,003 +8%
Bridgetown 2,159 -3%
Ivalo 706 -1% Santa Christmas route
Enontekio 378 +2% Santa Christmas route
Kittila 371 -1% Santa Christmas route

There were also ad hoc and one-off charter flights to these airports:

Vienna, Lyon, Nantes, Nice, Toulon, Munich,
Niederrhein, Dublin, Bari, Venice, Verona, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Valencia, Kiruna, Pajalla Yllas, Visby, Bergen, Tromsoe, Gatwick, Luton, Belfast City, Cardiff, Durham Tees Valley, East Midlands, Glasgow, Humberside, Leeds-Bradford, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle .

I'm surprised there is no Jersey link.

BOH is sandwiched between SOU and EXT, both of which have good connectivity with the Channel Islands.

CAA Stats March 2018

40,298 passengers were handled in the month, down 3.2% on March 2017. Atms were up 1.1%. The rolling 12-month total was 689,244, up 1.3% on a year ago.

A number of airports were down in March, partly because of the high number of cancelled flights brought about by the severe weather.

Bournemouth becoming a Jet2 base for 2019 if they can get aircraft has been mentioned elsewhere. Be interesting to see if that happens!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock