https://news.sky.com/story/american-airlines-glitch-means-no-pilots-over-christmas-11149375

American Airlines 'glitch' means no pilots over Christmas

A so-called computer glitch has meant that all American Airlines pilots have been given leave over Christmas which could see as many as 15,000 flights cancelled.

The airline reckons all scheduled services will operate but is having to offer overtime rates to get pilots to fly and it's not clear from the report how many have responded positively.

Did this sort of thing happen in pre-computer days? I always have a go at organisations who blame 'the computer' when they try to explain poor service to me. A human has to programme the thing in the first place.

That will cost American Airlines an absolute fortune! That is one massive c*ck up!

American Airlines are adding new European services.
Charlotte to Muinch will be year round daily on the A330 200 starting 31st March 2019.
Dallas Fort Worth to Munich will be seasonal daily on 787 8 between 6th June 2019 and 26th October.
Chicago to Athens will be seasonal daily on 787 8 between 3rd May 2019 and 28th September.
Philadelphia to Berlin TXL will be seasonal 4 weekly on 767 between 7th June 2019 and 28th September.
Philadelphia to Bologna will be seasonal 4 weekly on 767 between 6th June 2019 and 28th September.
Philadeplhia to Dubrovnil will be seasonal 3 weekly on 767 between 31st March 2019 and 27th September.
Routes that are cancelled are Frankfurt and Munich from Philadelphia.
http://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...European-Footprint-and-Modifies-Asia-Service/

A reportedly reputable source on another forum has stated that American are after the 321LR as a 757 TATL replacement. No indication AFAIK as to whether if the plan is to open new routes or maintain their existing ones if this comes to fruition, but one worth keeping half an eye for the slightly more distant future.
Confirmation of the above (and not bumping the BHX Route Development thread again) :)

There will be more 321XLR's in the fleet than the number of 757s there are now so it will be interesting to see what they do with them.

Between late-March and early-May 2020, AA will only serve 3 long-haul routes: Dallas/Ft. Worth – Tokyo, Dallas/Ft. Worth – London Heathrow and Miami – London Heathrow.

American to fly A321XLRs across Atlantic from Philadelphia

With an advertised 4,700nm (8,704km)-range, the jet could fly from the eastern half of the USA to European cities. Airlines view A321XLRs as optimised to serve “thinner” routes that would not support larger widebody aircraft.
“We will be looking to add more nonstops from Philadelphia to secondary European” destinations, Znotins says of American’s A321XLR plan.

American Airlines has said it could use its incoming A321XLRs to Europe from winter 2023.

“The A321XLR will open up markets that we wouldn't be able to serve otherwise – new cities and niche destinations that will really work well with our network. Through our hubs, we'll be able to create many one-stop connections that don't exist today.”
- Henning Greiser, Head of International Network Planning at American Airlines

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock