'Boris Island' would close Southend Airport

SOUTHEND Airport would probably have to close if a “Boris Island” airport goes ahead, a Government commission has warned.

If a large new airport is built on the Isle of Grain, Kent, as London Mayor Boris Johnson has suggested, a clash of air space would mean Southend Airport – and City Airport in London - would likely need to close, the Airports Commission has warned.

The body, which is looking into how to increase airport capacity in the south east, warned this could reduce the options available to low cost airlines and reduce the overall gains to capacity over the London area overall.

Read more: http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_n ... d_Airport/

I'm not sure how seriously the industry takes these surveys and awards. I note that most of the leading airports in this survey are small ones where the ambience and relatively peaceful passenger experience is bound to be a hit with many passengers. After a while though they will moan at the dearth of flights and destinations at small airports.

Southend Airport could take off for Stobart Group with 50 airlines circling

I am sure there will be many people who live near Southend airport who have only ever used the larger London airports, many will have never experienced using a small regional airport before. As popular as the big airports are, many air travellers prefer using the smaller regional airports and Southend airport has proved this with it's new found popularity.

SEN can certainly help to spread the load around London and its size is certainly an attraction to many who dislike very large airports (I'm one). Its rail link is excellent too I believe.

Was reading on another forum this morning that stobart are replacing a lot of the top managers in southend.As been said on many forums these last few months that the airport is not doing very well,after easy and a few others went in there, that the pax numbers are expected to drop in a big way.
Stobart and easy have been dropping routes out of southend which does not help pax numbers.

I've not been to SEN for years, but I do remember see BAF Heralds and Viscounts there. When I worked in travel in Kent there was a firm called Burstin Travel which had a reasonable charter operation from there to the Med, using Air Malta and Hispania . There always also Maesk Air to Billund with Dash 7s.

Ironically the last time I was there was when I moved to the NW, I flew on a special weekend charterseats from Manchester to Southend with Loganair on a 146 for a good fare. The seats were sold just fill empty legs as the 146 was being used on holiday flights from Southend over the weekend. Was an exciting and cheap way to see my mum.

Now Loganair are back in Manchester and Flybe are doing a MAN-SEN service.

Last edited:
Any advice on best places to spot at Southend?
I'll be arriving at around 14:00 on Sunday, Feb 4th inbound on the Flybe/Stobart service from Manchester. Have an open ticket to London Stratford so can stick around for a few hours if its worth staying...

Glyn Jones of Stobart Aviation is suggesting that Crossrail should be extended from Shenfield to Southend Airport. He suggests smaller airports in the Southeast like SEN can help with capacity issues the region has.

Glyn Jones of Stobart Aviation is suggesting that Crossrail should be extended from Shenfield to Southend Airport. He suggests smaller airports in the Southeast like SEN can help with capacity issues the region has.
See the link in #32 above to Mr Jones's comments.

I would be surprised if Carlisle goes ahead any time soon.
As for the Scottish routes it'll be interesting to see how they do as there'll be fierce competition from STN and LCY while loganair will be pretty unknown in Essex. The airport will have lots of advertising to do!

For a relatively small airfield it's difficult to imagine the airport ever being able to handle 20m passengers a year.
Not to mention in the last financial report the airport isn't profitable and Stobart have stopped issuing dividends until it is.
I think this is just a bit of fantasy from the airport management.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock